Do I need special wheels for SS bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Do I need special wheels for SS bike?

I am building up a disc only On One Inbred frame as a ss. Do I need special wheels/rims/hubs? Or do I just need spacers? I don't want to spent a fortune on wheels if I can get a good deal on Pricepoint. I am still learning so pardon my ignorance.

Suffering Mightily
    Spacers and a cog work fine. Saw a WTB SS wheelset at Pricepoint for less than 200 clams. That was a couple of months ago, though. Also, check out the FAQ at the top right of the page. It answers just about any question you could have about SS. Good luck and poat a pic when you get 'er built.
    -Drbbt
    Without freedom of choice, there is no creativity. Without creativity, there is no life. The body dies.

mtbr member
    nopers. you can use a cassette hub and spacers along with a ss cog.

Out spokin'
    What them fellers said.

The only reason to drop coin on a dedicated SS rear wheel is fashion.

Now somebody will probably come along and point out that an honest SS wheel has less dish so this makes it stronger. While this is true, the dedicated SS wheel's added strength is beyond what's necessary. Every day there are plenty of geared rear wheels out there not failing.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    What them fellers said.

The only reason to drop coin on a dedicated SS rear wheel is fashion.

Now somebody will probably come along and point out that an honest SS wheel has less dish so this makes it stronger. While this is true, the dedicated SS wheel's added strength is beyond what's necessary. Every day there are plenty of geared rear wheels out there not failing.

--Sparty
    I agree with about 90% of what you say, but the benifits of a "no-dish" wheel are that it will be a little stiffer (torsionally), but mainly it will be stronger in the sense that people that ride SS's do A LOT of slow hard mashing on climbs, of which puts a lot of stress on a rear wheel.

I went from a SS specific hub on one bike to a regular wheel with spacers on the new frame (until my new I9's come in). Well, on the SS specific wheel, I never had to touch it in 4 years. In just a month on the other wheel, I've had a couple of spokes come loose and I built both these wheelsets. The non-SS wheel did fine on my geary for the last 4 years. It just never went through the mashing on the geary bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0