DNF a la choy- Mtbr.com

Thread: DNF a la choy

mtbr member

DNF a la choy

Man! I was at the 1st WORS race, and yesterday, my common cold was in full force...little did I know that it was still in full force.

I'm a dumbass...around 7:30 this morning, I decided to go ahead and leave Sarah fend off if she went into labor…so I’m off in the gas-guzzler, with my cross bike in tow. Yes, cross bike for a mtb race, why? Because I’m a badass.

So I get to the venue of Alpine Valley, do the pre race thing, and before I know it, I’m in the starting line. SS was the first category along with the 18 and under Sport guys.
    After the Star Spangled Banner, I got off my bike…the start was a steep hill, and with 34/16, I thought I’d be faster running up the hill.

It worked! Race begins and I run up the hill with the bike on my shoulder. My bike is such a bítch! So I run and run, and finally mount the bike on the way down hill…and then something happens…I couldn’t breathe. My lungs were hurting, I coughed hard and a lot of phlegm (YUM!), and then my head began spinning.

Once in the single track, I had to stop, pull over, and sit on d the dry leaves…I couldn’t breathe. Every breath hurt like hell, and that sucked a lot. My legs were fresh; my cold was keeping me from pummeling the gearies…oh well.

I got home and no baby yet…I slept a very cold sweat-like sleep, my lungs hurt, my throat hurts, my Mexican pride hurts.

Next time, watch out, for I will kick your butt, and the gnomes will be ejaculating magic star powder…

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Sounds rough dude!

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Man! I was at the 1st WORS race, and yesterday, my common cold was in full force...little did I know that it was still in full force.

I'm a dumbass...around 7:30 this morning, I decided to go ahead and leave Sarah fend off if she went into labor…so I’m off in the gas-guzzler, with my cross bike in tow. Yes, cross bike for a mtb race, why? Because I’m a badass.

So I get to the venue of Alpine Valley, do the pre race thing, and before I know it, I’m in the starting line. SS was the first category along with the 18 and under Sport guys.
    After the Star Spangled Banner, I got off my bike…the start was a steep hill, and with 34/16, I thought I’d be faster running up the hill.

It worked! Race begins and I run up the hill with the bike on my shoulder. My bike is such a bítch! So I run and run, and finally mount the bike on the way down hill…and then something happens…I couldn’t breathe. My lungs were hurting, I coughed hard and a lot of phlegm (YUM!), and then my head began spinning.

Once in the single track, I had to stop, pull over, and sit on d the dry leaves…I couldn’t breathe. Every breath hurt like hell, and that sucked a lot. My legs were fresh; my cold was keeping me from pummeling the gearies…oh well.

I got home and no baby yet…I slept a very cold sweat-like sleep, my lungs hurt, my throat hurts, my Mexican pride hurts.

Next time, watch out, for I will kick your butt, and the gnomes will be ejaculating magic star powder…

Always enjoy your writing! Good luck on your next race and the baby!

KavuBiker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That sucks

That's a pretty fun course too! I rode it a couple years back for the NORBA and had a great time. A very SSable course, especially as muddy as it was.

YO MAMA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it was a pleasure to line up and meet ernesto at the very front of the wors season. he looked darn good hoofing it up a big-ass steep lift tower hill at the start with his ENO equipped 'cross bike stylishly on his shoulder. very savvy move, that.

as a side note - as ernesto noted, the SS's got moved to go off with the young bucks, instead of the clydes like last year. seems the clydes did not like geting pummeled off the line so much. mr wors has figured out that the SS=ers are the fastest class in the field, and has moved them in with the skinny young kids if for no other reason than " they won't be as likely to complain".

as for my race report . . . . . . .well i take moral victory in being the oldest SS-er in the series. jawing with the cllege age kid i ran most of the race with, i noted that my bike is older than he is.

bragging some, my 13 y/o girl was faster in sport than any woman up to age 25. i am going to convert her bike to SS yet.

mtbr member

I was surprised...

Quote Originally Posted by mon t

bragging some, my 13 y/o girl was faster in sport than any woman up to age 25. i am going to convert her bike to SS yet.
    Hey Monty, yeah, it was cool meeting you. I was suprised of being ahead in the SS field until I stopped to breathe. I still feel like crap.

Was your girl the girl on the pink/white Ibis?

E

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yah. the young child rides an old ibis she stole from her mother. it is her secret weapon. upon it at alpine she smoked her mother something fierce, for the first time.

did you see her out in the mud?

mtbr member

Hey Guys...

I was lined up yesterday too...I think I saw you Ernesto at the top of a hill getting advice about your cold from a spectator. I was wearing the green-with-orange flames kit of the Moosejaw Brewery team.

Anyway...I feel the need to brag a little bit also. My GF won the women's sport overall on her Chaquita Banana-colored VCW SS. Not a bad day except for the spongy-ness!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [hey man, i saw the girl finish on that yeller SS. she was looking good! i will watch for your flamed jersey at the races.

mtbr member

legs fresh?

My colds leave my legs beat too. If it happens again you might think about gettting checked for exercise-induced asthma.

mtbr member

asthma

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    My colds leave my legs beat too. If it happens again you might think about gettting checked for exercise-induced asthma.
    No asthma for me. When I do my training rides, I ride hard, but yesterday was killer with my cold. I still feel my burning lungs. Feels like a broken rib when I inhale, a precurson to pneumonia? who knows. But I feel like crap right now.

At registration, I was having 2nd thoughts about racing, but like a lamewad, I raced anyway.

Yes, I did see the girl on the SS. She was all happy smiles. Yesterday was a good day overall.

mtbr member

Ernesto...

...if you haven't already you may want to check with your doc. The last time I suffered similar from symptoms it turned out I had a lung infection and one of my lungs with completely filled with fluid. I generally felt OK, but I couldn't breathe and each increasingly shallow breath hurt like a mofo. Some medz and rest took care of it quickly.

Maybe you swallowed a gnome in your sleep?

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    No asthma for me. When I do my training rides, I ride hard, but yesterday was killer with my cold. I still feel my burning lungs. Feels like a broken rib when I inhale, a precurson to pneumonia? who knows. But I feel like crap right now.

At registration, I was having 2nd thoughts about racing, but like a lamewad, I raced anyway.

Yes, I did see the girl on the SS. She was all happy smiles. Yesterday was a good day overall.
    Professional Amateur