DJs and Reach measurements- Mtbr.com
    jcd's best friend

DJs and Reach measurements

Hey everyone!
    I have an interest in picking up a DJ for my next bike. I have an interest in the Transition PBJ, YT Dirt Love, or the Specialized P.3. I'm trying to learn about reach on a DJ and whether it's better to go shorter or longer on the reach. Each of those models has different reach measurements so I'm not sure how to approach my research. I'm sure much of that is based on what you feel comfortable having but in general, does shorter reach work better than longer? I am 5'11" with a 30" inseam. My plan is to buy a long DJ. I tried to research my question on Google and couldn't find anything specific regarding reach measurements.

I recently had carpal tunnel release surgery and once my hand comes out of bandages, I plan to test out a PBJ seeing Transition HQ is a couple of hours away from me. After test riding it, I hope to find a used PBJ, Dirt Love, or P3. Hell, I might even buy a PBJ while up there if I become too in love with it hahaha!

I really love the chrome PBJ and seeing I do have 2 other Transition bikes, I might as well consider the PBJ first!
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

mtbr member
    This question really belongs in this forum: https://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10", 31" inseam. I ride a medium Sentinel (reach 450) and a small PBJ (reach 415) and feel comfortable on both. I feel like the shorter reach is good on a DJ to keep it more playful and easier to throw around. When I bought the PBJ, the guys at the shop said I really could go with the small or the large, but they were steering me towards the small. Sounds like your torso is a bit longer, so YMMV of course.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    This question really belongs in this forum: https://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/
    I honestly missed that forum while looking for the appropriate spot! I think we have too many forums on here...cough cough...

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    I'm 5'10", 31" inseam. I ride a medium Sentinel (reach 450) and a small PBJ (reach 415) and feel comfortable on both. I feel like the shorter reach is good on a DJ to keep it more playful and easier to throw around. When I bought the PBJ, the guys at the shop said I really could go with the small or the large, but they were steering me towards the small. Sounds like your torso is a bit longer, so YMMV of course.
    I might have to keep that in mind. When I visit Transition, I want to try out both sizes to see which one I like. My focus will be mostly on dirt but I do have a ton of skate parks in the area to ride as well.

Downcountry AF
    Oh, a Chrome PBJ? Like this?

DJs and Reach measurements-img_5750.jpg

DJs and Reach measurements-img_5774.jpg

DJs and Reach measurements-img_7778.jpg

Just built my first DJ bike last fall. It's a hoot! I ended up going with the Transition frame because it had the longest reach I could find. (I'm 6'3") And because it seemed to be more of a mountain bikers DJ bike as opposed to being on the BMX end.

PBJ Long reach- 440
    Reach on all other bikes- 480-510
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Just built my first DJ bike last fall. It's a hoot! I ended up going with the Transition frame because it had the longest reach I could find. (I'm 6'3") And because it seemed to be more of a mountain bikers DJ bike as opposed to being on the BMX end.

PBJ Long reach- 440
    Reach on all other bikes- 480-510
    I found your thread on a search and yeah...I want a PBJ now haha! Your PBJ looks flat out hot! I noticed the same thing you mentioned about the PBJ regarding reach. I also found it interesting that the PBJ is about 25 pounds (with Transition's stock components) as a chromoly bike and most other chromoly bike builds are 30 pounds. I'm sure weight doesn't matter, especially for me, but it was something I noticed when it comes to chromoly framed DJ bike builds.

I did search around and found a company called Airborne that sells the Cro Hawk for $699 and the Skyhawk for $999. It seems the price difference is mostly the frame and fork. The bike is one size and seems to be a medium. I did apply for their ambassador position but I don't expect to hear back. I might just stick with a PBJ test ride at some point or just buy it blind and have fun with it anyways!