disenchanted biker mouths off- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Upset disenchanted biker mouths off

hey guys...the last couple postings i listed on the kona hoss and ss specialized were very critical and the review mgr at mtbr removed them. I really thought i could help someone with their buying decisions. hmmmm...as i look back, i really thought eggbeaters and kona's and clipless pedals were the real must haves, but now that i have burned up a lot of money-it again, boils down to the ride. There is too much hype, simple parts are overpriced and new metals are expensive. These are just bikes.....i am 38, too olde, but i ride my little jump bikes and give em hell. This overload of information and ads can't be accurate. Similar bmx parts are much cheaper. This posting will probably be removed too. I am white, but why aren't there any black riders in the magazines? I ride the city of atlanta at night and have a blast....i am interested in trials and single speeds but i finally only replace what is broken. I ride flat pedals and jump around better than clipless pedals. The magazines, this site, and the lbs shops are all misleading. All one really needs to know is what kinda' biking you're gonna' be doing. I am losing myself in the ride and forgetting all the hype, which is very good! I just can't believe how expensive this cr#p is....we rage MADE IN AMERICA and charge 5 times or more what our imports cost, it doesn't, really make sense. I have worked in the 'adult' busines for three years now, i have seen the very ugly side of life and have seen what greed and desperation can do to a person- be it bikes, collectibles, chocolate, food, drugs, sex, whatever. If you want it bad enough, someone will charge you as much as possible. 600.00 for deemax wheels, headsets for 130.00, frames topping 3000.00. It's too much, way too much. I have simplified my efforts. I have one gear and a burly bike, and good brakes and protective gear, WHAT ELSE COULD ANYONE POSSIBLY WANT IN A BIKE? You keep paying too much and with a little luck you won't get burned out. I consider it a blessing each time i finish a ride. The trade towers fell, bush will probably be re-elected, martha stewart is going to jail,-everthing these days are a blessing, WHY SHOULD A NICE ENJOYABLE SAFE BIKE COST YOU EVERY PENNY. i finally got a grip. That's it. Thank You. Dave.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

supply and demand

and basic economics.
    If you are so disenfranchised why bother posting here?
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Huh? (nm)

say what?.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Do you own either bike? If you don't then you really aren't qualified to comment on the product reviews on MTBR... they are for people who OWN the product. As for the rest of your post, it seems to be one gigantic drug induced run-on paragraph...

I happen to work at an LBS and seriously I am offended that you would make a blanket statement that "all LBS are misleading". I don't have any clue what you mean by that but I know it can't be good, and I know that I have never purposely or intentionally misled a customer and I know everyone else at the shop puts the customer first too.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004

cheese...........whine.........

uhhhh, ok.
    Last edited by supercorsa; 03-08-2004 at 08:51 PM. Reason: odd order harmonics
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

|i|
    Actually, compared to some other hobbies, biking is a relative bargain. For $7000 (more or less) you can pretty much get bleeding edge state of the art.

Compare this to audio, where the state of the art, "best", equipment lives in the $200,000 area.

A top of the line, finely machined and engineered stem will cost $65.
    A top of the cable will cost over $1000.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Adult business?

Any good flicks to recommend? I'm sure there are some folks interested too shy to speak up.

Retro Grouch

New question here. Is your gripe we have too much choice?

If you want a good Single Speed you can buy a Monocog for $450. Beyond that you pay your money and take your choice. As Keith Bontrager said, "Cheap, light, strong; pick two." Does anybody really need to buy XTR? Probably not, but there is a lot of extra money out there and since nature abhors a vacum, the market makes up the difference. So it goes..

1G1G, Brad

Seaside stand up!
    He's more right than he is wrong. Clowning him is what will happen but look past your Oakleys, this old man (just kidding old people) is feeling it.As far as your LBS..they do their best with what they have to sell. If you want an honest answer (and if you think your salesperson dosn't know) look to someone who loves bikes like the mechanic or the retro-crouch owner. The best salesman I ever had was a female at Another Bike Shop in Santa Cruz, helped me out while the other guys talked. Knowledge,Service and Product. Words to live by.
    antonio

try driving your car less
    yeah, but what is so sweet is to get the remnants from the uber consumers. i have travelled all over the world and i know that i live a comfy life in america with a warm house, a ton of cheap fresh good food at the supermarket and a relatively safe community. and i dont work myself to the bone at all, not out in the fields all day or anything. i pride myself on picking up peoples super high end stuff slightly used for less than half of what it cost because it's 'old' (not just bike stuff, but home, oh and used adult books, ha!) , but still just incredible stuff. a lot of the stuff is overhyped nonsense, but some of it really works. I appreciate that my bike does not weigh 50 pounds, that my helmet is comfy, and that if i get hurt i can go to the hospital and get fixed.
    be thankful and ride. let the other shmoes fuel the bush economy and get into debt. i'm having fun!
    Only boring people get bored.

Jed Peters
    Get help.

Now.

T 3
    X - Pensive Wino

Cool-blue Rhythm Ying N' Yang

Quote Originally Posted by phatjadefrenchfries
    hey guys...the last couple postings i listed on the kona hoss and ss specialized were very critical and the review mgr at mtbr removed them. I really thought i could help someone with their buying decisions. hmmmm...as i look back, i really thought eggbeaters and kona's and clipless pedals were the real must haves, but now that i have burned up a lot of money-it again, boils down to the ride.

Yeah,in a sense there's some truth somewhere in that rant,eveyone's different.Find some sort of inner peace with whatever it is you're riding whatever it is cost,tweak it till it fits and then forget about everything else so that then as you said: " It boils down to the ride" The guys at my LBS have saved me from wasting cash plenty of times....
    "There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
    -David St. Hubbins, Spinal Tap

mtbr member

go and spank it

spank it as hard as you can. it's a stress reliever.

mtbr member

Hey, don't be so offended...

The poster has a lot of good points in (his/her) original post. There is a lot of hype in the bike industry. Just look at any U.S. bike rag, even Dirt Rag and you'll see reviewers gushing over a product, that usually one of your buddies or yourself has used and that you know for a fact sucks, i.e. Specialized Roll X tires (MBA this month).

Several LBS employees have weighed in. Don't your all offended. If you're reading and posting on this site you probably don't work for the LBS that is trying to pawn off last years equipment on unsuspecting customers at full retail, but this DOES happen, not at my LBS, but then that's one of the many reasons I support them.

An issue that might be is the move towards beefed upped cross country designs being used for free-ride, which are then subsequently abused. Dude if you're hucking your bike and weigh near 200 lbs, there isn't a whole lot that will hold up other than SOME BMX frames and such.

It is about the ride. Hopefully the dual suspension bikes will bottom out like the hard tails did a few years ago. One could finally get a hard tail (CrossC) for 1K that wouldn't inhibit your performance at all. Dual suspension bikes haven't quite made it yet, but will get there.

What blows is the supposed best CC design out there now (Santa Cruz Blur) will run over 3200 USD with a decent fork. I agree, this is encroaching on stupid expensive. Is it your right to spend that kind of money on a bike? Sure, but it had better have a lifetime warranty. Oops, Santa Cruz doesn't offer one. Seriously though, anything over 3K should really have an engine.

Probably drunk right now

I can solve all your problems....

Ride what you like and have fun. In fact, go for a ride on a bike that you like right now. If that bike happens to cost several grand, great. If the bike happens to be a POS, great.

Actually, I think you posted this to the wrong board. You'll find a healthy mix of people who ride low end beaters, full custom bling, both and everything in between. The reason why I stay on this board most of the time, is that no one really cares what kind of bike another rides. You're venting in the wrong place.

In the words of Mr. and Mrs. Chet Peach, "Shut up and ride".

Ken

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Ride what you like and have fun. In fact, go for a ride on a bike that you like right now. If that bike happens to cost several grand, great. If the bike happens to be a POS, great.

Actually, I think you posted this to the wrong board. You'll find a healthy mix of people who ride low end beaters, full custom bling, both and everything in between. The reason why I stay on this board most of the time, is that no one really cares what kind of bike another rides. You're venting in the wrong place.

Ken
    Couldn't agree more. There are plenty of people riding cheap beater bikes on this board. Until recently, myself included. I spent far more on this one than on any of my others (so I could upgrade to 29" wheels and disc brakes), but even then $1200 is not exactly high end. The one high-end part I do run is a Chris King headset, and I do so out of necessity: Headsets are the part that I seem to be tough on, and I've broken enough $30-50 ones that I find the CK to be the cheaper alternative.