Discovered the joys of SS'ing.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Discovered the joys of SS'ing.

Just wanted to post to preach to the choir a bit, but I've had my ss built up for over a year now and for the most part it's just collected dust. An unfortunate turn of events where I was forced to turn in my geared bike's frame for a warranty issue is forcing me onto the ss. Lo and behold......as painful as it is, I'm having a great time and discovering a side of the sport that's been mostly foreign to me! Now I've only taken it out 3 x's in the past week, but the ride I've been doing starts at 300ft and goes to 1600 in a 4 mile stretch so I've been hErTiN to say the least, but each time I've tried to tackle the hill, I've made it just a bit farther.......hopefully by the time the warranty frame returns, I'll have conquered the climb

I'll post a pic of the Frankenbike soon, but just a quick description....

• 97 Trek OCLV Team Issue
    • Surly ss rear hub
    • Old crapped out XT rear der converted to a single-ator
    • 00 Xvert Super
    • Race Face Turbine crankset
    • Magura HS11 brakes
    • 32 x 16

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tonysong
    Just wanted to post to preach to the choir a bit, but I've had my ss built up for over a year now and for the most part it's just collected dust. An unfortunate turn of events where I was forced to turn in my geared bike's frame for a warranty issue is forcing me onto the ss. Lo and behold......as painful as it is, I'm having a great time and discovering a side of the sport that's been mostly foreign to me! Now I've only taken it out 3 x's in the past week, but the ride I've been doing starts at 300ft and goes to 1600 in a 4 mile stretch so I've been hErTiN to say the least, but each time I've tried to tackle the hill, I've made it just a bit farther.......hopefully by the time the warranty frame returns, I'll have conquered the climb

I'll post a pic of the Frankenbike soon, but just a quick description....

• 97 Trek OCLV Team Issue
    • Surly ss rear hub
    • Old crapped out XT rear der converted to a single-ator
    • 00 Xvert Super
    • Race Face Turbine crankset
    • Magura HS11 brakes
    • 32 x 16
    Maybe you should drop the gearing to a 32X18 and so you have some life left in you for the downhill! Sounds like a really nice SS. Have fun, soon you will forget you even own a geared bike.....

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by sloth
    Maybe you should drop the gearing to a 32X18 and so you have some life left in you for the downhill!
    nothing wrong with running 32:18 in SD; there are some long climbs out there. Plus, 32:18 is the perfect gear for SJT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    nothing wrong with running 32:18 in SD; there are some long climbs out there. Plus, 32:18 is the perfect gear for SJT.
    Thx for the heads up....I'll give the 18 a run. Dunno if I'm quite up for doing San Juan on a ss.....I'll break out the Bullit for that........hell ur nutz.

Steamroller

I lust for an OCLV SS

It sounds like you have a sweet bike. I'd drop the gearing a bit to make your hill. I wanted to build up a Trek 98 OCLV SS bike but got shut down by the $1300 frame only price. I could get killer custom Ti for less I think. I'll have to watch the classifieds or ebay for a used carbon frame or bike I guess. Or, I could quit obsessing on always having a better bike, but what fun would that be.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    It sounds like you have a sweet bike. I'd drop the gearing a bit to make your hill. I wanted to build up a Trek 98 OCLV SS bike but got shut down by the $1300 frame only price. I could get killer custom Ti for less I think. I'll have to watch the classifieds or ebay for a used carbon frame or bike I guess. Or, I could quit obsessing on always having a better bike, but what fun would that be.
    What size do you need? My local Trek store has an '03 OCLV 9.8 in a crazy bass boat blue (reminiscent of the old Schwinn BBB) for an unreal $600. My buddy just picked one up.............give the store a call and ask for Matt.

619-668-8787
    Earn the descent.

Steamroller

Tempting indeed!

What size do you need? My local Trek store has an '03 OCLV 9.8 in a crazy bass boat blue (reminiscent of the old Schwinn BBB) for an unreal $600. My buddy just picked one up.............give the store a call and ask for Matt.

619-668-8787
    I called and they even have a couple my size. This is a problem because I want one, but my wife will freak for sure if I buy another bike. Maybe I can sell something. Thanks for the tip.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

you'll surprise yourself...

Dunno if I'm quite up for doing San Juan on a ss
    i'm not a particularly strong rider, and i'm not saying it's easy, but "itsdoable" at 32:18 for most who try. there are only a few sections that really bite, like one or two loose sections where finding traction outta the saddle is hard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tony Tony Tony...

Would this be the Tony Song from San Diego who rode a Suzuki and shopped @ Soul?

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I called and they even have a couple my size. This is a problem because I want one, but my wife will freak for sure if I buy another bike. Maybe I can sell something. Thanks for the tip.
    Tell her that you won it in a raffle. I swear to god it works. just pay cash for it.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2PAAD
    Would this be the Tony Song from San Diego who rode a Suzuki and shopped @ Soul?

Eric

Eric! Holy crap............are you still in TX. Still draggin' pucks?

As you can see I've picked up SS'ing. I also got rid of the Kat for a VTR......I have some track days planned as well. Drop me a line when you get the [email protected]
    Earn the descent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    Tell her that you won it in a raffle. I swear to god it works. just pay cash for it.
    It's good to be sinlge
    Earn the descent.