Discover what Brown can do for you.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Discover what Brown can do for you.

I can only imagine what kind of force it took to bend that dropout.
    Last edited by slowride; 06-14-2006 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member

what next

are they going to ship you a new one ?? it doesnt look like there was much packing around it, no wonder it bent

giddy up!

Yeah....

....unless the shipper packaged the bike with some serious foam and cardboard around the headtube, dropouts, and bb shell......you almost garaunteed to see this type of damage.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A new one is on the way...

I can't say enough about the customer service...

As far as the packing, I feel it was sufficient. Based on the damage to the box and subsequently to the rear of the frame, I feel the box was probably dropped from a decent height and then dragged along the pavement or cement. It doesn't show so well in the pics, but where the paint is worn off, it looks like it was filed down. If the box was thicker this might not have happened, but then again if UPS showed a little care in the handling it almost definitely wouldn't have.

King Pin

Upset

Bummer. I have sold several frames and complete bikes on Ebay, sent them all over the world. My Mantis frame went to Germany.....

Once in a while, UPS and FEDEX have their screwups. I'm sure these big ol' boxes are NOT treated gently, at all......

Why don't these guys get a clue? Whether I'm shipping a bike or just a box filled with foam...shouldn't matter. That there frame looked like it got ran over and dropped and dragged across the asphalt....not excuse for that kinda abuse!

self destructive
    i feel your pain i had a $460.00 vanity top that i shipped ups (sold it on ebay) and it was totally destroyed by ups and i got nothing for the insurance i paid on it. long story but really p!ssed me off got the run around and was a damn headache.
    When it rains it pours.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    I can't say enough about the customer service...

As far as the packing, I feel it was sufficient. Based on the damage to the box and subsequently to the rear of the frame, I feel the box was probably dropped from a decent height and then dragged along the pavement or cement. It doesn't show so well in the pics, but where the paint is worn off, it looks like it was filed down. If the box was thicker this might not have happened, but then again if UPS showed a little care in the handling it almost definitely wouldn't have.
    Poorly packaged.

There should have been a dummy axle between the dropouts.

They can be found laying around your LBS's receiving/bike building area or you can make your own with some PVC pipe.

mtbr member
    was there nothing between the drops? i'd never ever ship a frame without something to support the drops.

mtbr member

experiance

i guess the frist time i sold a bike on ebay i took it to the lbs and they took it apart and boxed it up for me, then i drove over to the ups palce and one lady opened the box up and said " is this all the packing you are going to put in here ?" so maybe the people who boxed up your frame didnt do a very good job... who knows the story behind your box, maybe it fell off the plane on the way there.............

scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There was one...

I took it out to get the plastic bag off so I could check out the damage. For whatever reason, the dummy axle was on the outside of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    Poorly packaged.

There should have been a dummy axle between the dropouts.

They can be found laying around your LBS's receiving/bike building area or you can make your own with some PVC pipe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

There was...

See my reply to Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    was there nothing between the drops? i'd never ever ship a frame without something to support the drops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Floor grinder

Disappointment on your doorstep. You should be compensated for a new frame AND pain and suffering. Good you took pics. Get a close up of that floor grinding treatment and put it with your claim. It was it insured, right? Yeah, better packaging helps in some cases, but not always. I worked on the loading docks at USPS and saw mangled boxes daily. Some were caused by careless employees and at times by employees who did it intentionally (doing repetitive, mind-numbing loading for 8 hours a day will do this). Sometimes they get crushed by massive conveyor belt or by tons of parcels, or they fall off / get run over by hand trucks, power trucks, etc. This is especially true of large or odd shaped boxes. Anyway, most boxes do fine. You were just unlucky, like maybe one in a hundred. Too bad it happened to your SS.

mtbr member

I'm not saying FedEx is any better.....

I have heard a gazillion horror stories about "how BROWN can destroy for you". I will never ship anything with them.
    I use USPS for pretty much everything except to ship frames, frames I ship FedEX. I have shipped a few complete bikes and about 4-5 frames and never a single problem (knock on wood as I have one I just shipped out this week).
    I would use USPS as well to ship a frame, but their insurance rates are just too expensive.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by slowride
    I can only imagine what kind of force it took to bend that dropout.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pacifico: It was insured, but the shipper is taking care of it so that will save me a lot of the hassle. And honestly, besides the pain of seeing my frame smashed up, I haven't really suffered at all... the shipper is sending a new frame to me before even seeing the damaged one (except for the pic I sent, which is just a hi-res version of the 2nd pic). It's all being handled much smoother than I would have expected.

Scott and Kman: I've had much better luck in general using FedEx, but that's just my personal experience. I had a frame shipped to me a few years ago that had zero padding (ie, just the frame in a box) and it was fine.

I'm just glad it wasn't a high-buck custom frame in that box... that would have been much more painful.

mtbr member
    I always mark everything 'computer equipment'. They tend to take more care when they think the replacement costs will be high and the shipment is fragile.

It's worked for me. The friend who told me it used to ship bikes all over and said it made a difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's a good idea. I think part of the problem was that it was in a big box but it only weighed 8 pounds (the whole package). They may have thought it was empty or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Boy named SSue
    I always mark everything 'computer equipment'. They tend to take more care when they think the replacement costs will be high and the shipment is fragile.

It's worked for me. The friend who told me it used to ship bikes all over and said it made a difference.