Disc SS hubs, what's good?- Mtbr.com
    Master of the Obvious

New question here. Disc SS hubs, what's good?

I am looking for Disc SS specific hubs,Chris Kings are pricey and Surley's are Heavy, what's a good middle ground????? thanks for any thoughts

One life, One boss

I ride with

Pauls WORD and FHUB. Super easy to work on, great quality, made in the USA right out of chico, ca. Im sure some more good replys will pop up about these hubs.

highly visible

Warning: contrarian view here.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    I am looking for Disc SS specific hubs,Chris Kings are pricey and Surley's are Heavy, what's a good middle ground????? thanks for any thoughts
    I've never found a need to run anything other than a conventional freehub with spacers. Infinite chainline tuning is available, as are multiple cogs if ever so inclined, and except for XTR the steel freehub shells allow the use of DX cogs. Plus they're cheap. What's an XT disc hub cost, like 40 bucks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Pauls

I love my Pauls. Easy adjustment, run smooooth, no problems in over 2 years, made in US what more could I ask for.

If you have to ask...

My Paul Hubs are five years old, and

absolutely perfect. I'm thinking about getting around to changing the bearings, though. I may get around to it in a couple of years when they might actually need it.

Miles

singlespeed smash brother
    DMR Revolver is a sexy light and versatile hub that isn' pricey at all.It has a removable disc mount and can be set up as a flip flop or disc.

Frequent Crasher
    If you want a cassette type the On-one/novatech/woodman hub is pretty nice. If you want freewheel type.. There are lots of options, you can always get a thread-on disc adaptor for the flip-flop hubs.
    SB

Out spokin'

Sparty's 2

Personally, I hate screw-on freewheels. Whatever it takes to get a cassette is the way to go, IMO. I own a King SS hub and yes, they're expensive. They're also noisy. I also use other 'standard' geared wheels for winter SSing (don't want to subject that spendy King to the wet, slop and grit of PNW winters, you know) and the standard wheels work, frankly, just as well. They may lack the cool factor, but they sure make gear changes easy, plus they're light and cheap.

Screw-on freewheel? Screw that!

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    I've never found a need to run anything other than a conventional freehub with spacers. Infinite chainline tuning is available, as are multiple cogs if ever so inclined, and except for XTR the steel freehub shells allow the use of DX cogs. Plus they're cheap. What's an XT disc hub cost, like 40 bucks?
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Faster Than Your TV!

Good job! Second the PAULs...

Quote Originally Posted by aka AK
    Pauls WORD and FHUB. Super easy to work on, great quality, made in the USA right out of chico, ca. Im sure some more good replys will pop up about these hubs.
    Good stuff, light and durable, builds up a nice wheel, made in the YooEss. A bit pricey, but worth it, IMO.
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Retro Grouch

Listen! Weight weenie observation..

Quote Originally Posted by GlowBoy
    I noticed the new XT 765 hub uses the center lock disc system and weight in at about 369 gms (100 gms less than the Standard XT 756). That's about the same a as a King hub and uses a steel freehub. Kinda makes one look at XT hubs in a new light..

1G1G, Brad