Disc Side Slider + Horizontal Drive Side- Mtbr.com
    Essam
    Feb 2006

New question here. Disc Side Slider + Horizontal Drive Side

Does a sliding dropout on the drive side offer any advantage over a simple horizontal dropout. Would the sliding disc mount paired with the horizontal dropout result in a cleaner, lighter end result? I imagine a custom ti/steel frame with this setup. Do you see any compatibility issues?

Edit:I now see that it would create a puzzle, and to solve it you would have to remove the slider to install/remove the wheel. Any other disadvantages other than wheel removal hassle?
    Last edited by switchback27; 12-23-2007 at 01:15 PM.

is buachail foighneach me
    sliders offer the advantage of quick wheel changes over horizontal. why not just run them on both sides? i think there is or was a company offering an aluminum fram with horizontal dropouts that featured a sliding insert for disk brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

kona and VooDoo offer this option

if I am reading your post correctly
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

nothing relevant to say
    Molasses, I don't think you understood. Sean is talking about frame with horizontal drops, and a disc mount that moves with the wheel. Sean, I remember something lke that, but can't remember where. Paul Components offers something in the way of this, but is only compatible with the Paul Word hub.

mtbr member
    Actually, I think you both misunderstood. If I understand correctly, Switchback wants to put a sliding rear dropout on the non-drive side, and a traditional horizontal dropout / trackend on the drive side.

Interesting idea, but it seems like it would create way more complexity than is worth it. Go with one system or another. I'm sure you could make it work, but it would probably be a lot of work, and still not work 'well'.

There's plenty of ways to make discs work with horizontals, or matched sliders, or an EBB.

KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid). For realz.

Members who have read this thread: 0