disc + freewheel + fixed gear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

disc + freewheel + fixed gear?

Maybe it's because I'm always thinking about ways to change my bikes, or maybe it's because it's friday afternoon and I want to be on my bike but I'm here at work, so what about this idea. I like my custom ebb frame with discs, but I also like riding fixed gear every once in a while. I've got a cassette disc hub. What if I added a few spacers and bolted a dx cog into the disc bolt holes on the hub, outboard of the rotor? That way I'd have a disc rear brake when I was riding freewheel, and when I wanted to ride fixed for a to the trail gear or commuting gear or off road fixed gear, I'd flip the wheel and have the dx cog bolted on to the outside of the rotor. Flip flop cassette fixed/free disc hub.

What am I missing? Chainline might be an issue, but I think it could be overcome. I drew up a draft on engineering paper, but it won't post here.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I'm working with Boone on a disc track cog. DT and I thought about what you are describing, but if you get oil from your chain on your rotor, you're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    Maybe it's because I'm always thinking about ways to change my bikes, or maybe it's because it's friday afternoon and I want to be on my bike but I'm here at work, so what about this idea. I like my custom ebb frame with discs, but I also like riding fixed gear every once in a while. I've got a cassette disc hub. What if I added a few spacers and bolted a dx cog into the disc bolt holes on the hub, outboard of the rotor? That way I'd have a disc rear brake when I was riding freewheel, and when I wanted to ride fixed for a to the trail gear or commuting gear or off road fixed gear, I'd flip the wheel and have the dx cog bolted on to the outside of the rotor. Flip flop cassette fixed/free disc hub.

What am I missing? Chainline might be an issue, but I think it could be overcome. I drew up a draft on engineering paper, but it won't post here.

mtbr member

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Almost, except what qtip and I were talking about was sandwiching a disc rotor between the cog and hub, and separating the rotor and cog by spacers. I don't think it will work so well (chainline and rotor contamination issues), but if anyone's willing to take the time, let us know how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan

Fat Boy Deluxe

Yea

Not to mention, who needs a disc rotor if your running fixie, ha...

I understand the ease of use thing though, it would be easier to just bolt it on with the rotor and spacers and never have to think about except to flip the wheel. I basically do no maintenance at all on my bike (literally the rust holds the chain together), but I somehow I'm sure oil would pass from the chain to the rotor, it's my luck.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I'm working with Boone on a disc track cog. DT and I thought about what you are describing, but if you get oil from your chain on your rotor, you're screwed.

mtbr member
    OK, time to ask White Ind to make an ENO lockable fix-free wheel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DX cog on rotor mount

Did that, only "clocked" the hole pattern so the cog will run true on the hub, drilling these holes into the cog requires a carbide drill bit, also measure the bolts, so you will get a nice tight fit, the rotor bolt holes are considerable quite larger than the bolts themselves...Heres a different aproach, use a track cog on a spin on hub, with a spacer, then put the freewheel back on, However, requires finding a hub with "lots" of threads, and your stuck using freewheels but you can a least use your disc brake and don't have to flip the wheel over, Now back to that planetary freewheel design...Hmmm