disc 29er with track ends- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

disc 29er with track ends

Does anyone still make one other than custom builders?
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Ah yeah I always forget that one. It looks like the newer frames have vertical dropouts but they will probably be closing the SS model out until the end of time.

I guess the new karate monkey SS dropouts are pretty trackend-ish also.

Anything else?

mtbr member
    Surly Krampus (non-ops version)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Vassago
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bike Island, Gravity G29.

WillWorkForTrail
    Soma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Soma.
    Which Soma? the Juice and B-Side have sliders, not track ends.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Monocog.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, it says I've given too many reps in the last 24 hrs but I'll try to remember to come back

I'll throw in the Kelly Roshambo, though it is practically custom Welcome to Kelly! (just noticed they have the "Deluxe" too with a 16.5 minimum chainstay, yummy)

I don't think any sliders will accommodate my freakish rear wheel, but it seems like that is the way things are going (well where they have been for some time )

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    ... but it seems like that is the way things are going (well where they have been for some time )
    I don't know why. I think forkends are perfect for the Single speeding. They are simple and bomb proof.

The only down side to forkends in my opinion is that you really should use solid axles with track nuts. I've had good success with halo hex skewers and XT internal cam skewers but nothing works as well as track nuts.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Which Soma? the Juice and B-Side have sliders, not track ends.
    Oops, you're absolutely correct.

OP, why don't you think sliders will work with your rear wheel? I personally, after having a bike with track ends and now one with sliders wouldn't go back to track ends. Sliders are so, so, so much easier to deal with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    OP, why don't you think sliders will work with your rear wheel? I personally, after having a bike with track ends and now one with sliders wouldn't go back to track ends. Sliders are so, so, so much easier to deal with.
    Those bolts are really really big. Never actually measured but that is an 8mm hex in the middle so I wouldn't be surprised if they are 20-25mm across at the base. I am not sure they would clear the part that is brazed into the frame with the inserts in the "forward" position that I would strive to keep them in.

I also have never had a problem with track ends. Haven't gotten a flat on the trail in years but I used to get them frequently before I got tubeless wheels and never found the process all that difficult, though I can see how it would be painful with some setups. I have sliders on another bike and while they are fantastic for running gears and having a singlespeed option I find them a bit more finicky to set up when changing ss gearing - this may be an illusion created by the more precise adjustments they make possible . With the smaller bolts I also find myself undertorquing at times and the wheel slips on the trail (and that is with mini-v brakes, imagine discs would magnify this effect).

I also like to maximize simplicity on my singlespeed. The sliders add almost as many points that need tightening as the rest of the bike combined.

Perhaps most importantly I like the look of track ends. They remind me of the BMX bike I had as a kid.

The potential crack in my Karate Monkey's toptube that scared me into thinking about other frames does not seem to be expanding so I think I will have some time. There is something about each frame listed's geometry that eliminates it from my consideration except maybe the Kelly (though I doubt it has the tire clearance I want, and at that price it would be foolish to not just get a custom frame). I will need to do some real soul searching about the Krampus too, I find the 3" tires intriguing but I'm not sure I love the geo enough to commit.

Next time I have both bikes apart I will check to see if the bolt will work with the sliders. The bike I have with sliders is a 130mm rear spacing so I won't be able to fit the whole wheel in but should be able to get an idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Alex, Your more than welcome to try your rear wheel on my 09 Jamis to see if that is a frame that could work for you. A 2.2 Nevagel does fit which I use as a winter tire.

" width="549">

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Chris King fun bolts use an 8mm hex. The widest point of those bolts is a little smaller than the "pad" the skewer tightens against with the sliding drop outs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    ...I also like to maximize simplicity on my singlespeed. The sliders add almost as many points that need tightening as the rest of the bike combined.

Perhaps most importantly I like the look of track ends. They remind me of the BMX bike I had as a kid...
    My thoughts are the same. Simplicity, function, and aesthetics---track ends trump sliders in my book. I've had more issues with sliders...sliding than any other SS-systems. Plus, they look pretty ugly, IMO.

Look at the new KM. Mint Green color, MDS chips--pretty nice looking.

mtbr member
    Yeah good point stremf. The more I think about the MDS chips the more I like them. Its still a separate part that can creak etc... but it can't move and that is a step towards what I'm after. I'm hoping the frame holds out long enough that I can get a custom SS with proper track ends built, but if it doesn't that new KM should do just fine. I do like that mint green color.

I forgot to post back, I did take a caliper to my rear hub bolts and they measure 24mm across at the base. So maybe sliders would work? Anyone got a fun bolt to measure?