Dirt Research Bicycles?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dirt Research Bicycles?

Anyone ever heard of or used one of these frames?
    This deal seems so good to be true on ebay.

Item number: 150093076631
    Check out the TRIAD (Greensboro/Winston Salem/High Point) Community MTB Bike Forum & Sign up, it's free...
    www.biketriad.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkdirt
    Anyone ever heard of or used one of these frames?
    This deal seems so good to be true on ebay.

Item number: 150093076631
    It's not a SS frame - it's using a tensioner. Also no disk mount. Old stuff cobbled together! Probably ok if you want to run gears.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used to ride one. It was geared though. Very nice riding bike actually.

I am pretty sure I paid $240 for the frame on closeout, so $99 is a good deal. The extra parts in the SS build are a bunch of stuff he has and cobbled together. The black ones are Columbus DR.

Columbus tubing for $99? Sign me up for that and an ENO hub.
    Thanks to www.fortframes.com

All 26.5" all the time!
    They (Dirt Research) were once known as Yakota. They were a good bike for the money.

mtbr member

I purchased 2 of them

My opinion is that the frames are very high quality. $99 is amazing for this frame, and you get a painted to match fork too. But, they do have a few minor quirks.

I owned one of the Columbus DR black ones (Bandalier) and got one of the Thron red ones (Pecos) for my sister. Both used 27.0 seatposts - not that odd, but not 27.2 either. The Dirt Research seatposts are decent quality, so if you don't have the right size in the junk bin, buying one with the frame isn't a bad idea. The guy selling the frame told me the post size could be 26.8, 27.0 or 27.2 depending on the specific tubeset, so ask about it if you buy a frame.

Both frames required a 30.0 seatpost clamp. They exist, but not the most common size. Can't remember if this varied with the tubeset or not.

Both had cable routing designed for cantilevers. You had to either buy a clamp for the TT that provided a housing stop, or rig something up on your own if you wanted to run V's. (full length housing and zip ties? - using derailer housing stops and running SS or 1X? or ...) I ran mine with canti's, but the noodle around the seattube was so small the cable was sticky. I used a dremmel to modify it a bit and everything works smooth. At the time I bought the frames he did have some with stops for V's, but not in the right color/size/tubing that I wanted.

Lastly, carefully check the Geometry chart. This type of design was popular in the mid '90's, but large sized modern frames have longer more sloping toptubes. Smaller sizes are probably about the same. I ran mine with a 63mm RS Judy and the front end was pretty quick. I think a little longer fork (like a modern 80mm XC one) wouldn't impact the handling too badly - probably improve it to some.

Members who have read this thread: 1