Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Are dinglespeeds allowed to enter in SS races?

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  G-reg 
#1 ·
Are they? And if so, what are your opinions on switching gears mid race (60-100 mile races)?

#9 ·
I think the last post was pretty funny:

Wow, Reading this thread really put a positive light on the SS community.
*sarcasm face*
Obviously thats not the entire SS community, but I was surprised how many people got angry for him ASKING A QUESTION. Some people were saying he was already a cheater for asking a question. Sheesh.

As far as I go, I am glad I asked and now know what most people's views are on racing a dinglespeed. I think one could probably get away with running a dinglespeed in the SS catagory (just because visually it isn't too different), but it would be very much like sandbagging. I still plan to build up a dinglespeed because I will be riding this bike on so many different terrains (to the trailhead, local trails, commuting 40 miles roundtrip, etc.) and like the simplicity of no derailleurs or shifters on at least one of my bikes, I just won't race it, and if I did, it wouldn't be in the SS cat.

#10 ·
yes and no

The_Boy said:
Are they? And if so, what are your opinions on switching gears mid race (60-100 mile races)?
I have entered races (SS category) with a Dos ENO on the rear. I had no intentions of actually changing gears during the race. I was on my honor (so to speak) that I would not cheat...sort of like all races (a cheater can always cheat).

Some things to consider: I KNEW that I would not be anywhere near the front contesting any of the trophy positions. If I would have thought I would have been, I would have put on a different freewheel (so as not to draw criticism).

I would have changed the FW regardless, but my other FW was a worn out POS, and I wanted to run the more reliable ENO.

Call me a cheater if you like. It served no advantage (since I would never stoop to the level of cheating in a SS race). The truth is I was too lazy and cheap to run a true SS.

So to answer your questions:

Yes, you can probably pass through registration in a SS with a Dingle. But, no I think it is wrong to change gears in a SS race, and if you did, the guys that you beat would be correct in proclaiming from high that you are a cheater. I do not care how you do it, intentionally changing gears in a SS race misses the point of racing as a SSer.

#11 ·
I guess that I'm not an SS purist - because I think this is funny. How long would it take you to stop and change your gear? How much time would that save you?

Now if you had the Campy-original long handle QR that allowed you to change gears w/o getting off the bike.......

#13 ·
LFASS said:
its the same thing as a really slow der.

but do it anyway because the time it takes you to change gears you could have just ran the climb.
I don't really want this to turn into dinglespeed bashing, because thats not why I started this thread, but the reason for me to have a dinglespeed is the different terrain/inclines that go on for extended periods of time. Like in long rides where you might be on the same climb for more than 45 min, commuting during the week/ riding trails on the weekend, or riding to the trailhead from my house.

#14 ·
Dinglespeeds in general can be a good thing - for the reasons given: pavement ride to trail, long climbs mixed with flatter stuff.

But this also is exactly how derailer/multispeed drivetrains evolved.

And your question was about Racing with a dinglespeed, rather than just riding with one - and specifically using both ratios during the race. Very obviously you would catch a lot of flack if you did change AND won. If you're midpack you will just be razzed.

#17 ·
Personally I believe it is Ok to change ratios during a race. But it should be via a complete wheel (or cog) change. In other words, one chainring, one cog on the bike at any given time.

Being able to change ratios via dinglespeed to handle specific climbs, is really not OK. If you are willing to carry another wheel (or another cog) and make the change, I would be OK with it. :)

#18 ·
ya know.....

I remember reading a discussion about ranking SSer's by gear ratio - "all ya'll 32x18ers over here!" Except that 26 vs 29 matters, as does crank length - and as someone also pointed out, the size of your tires (fatter=taller unless rim=wider). "OK, everybody with a Gain Ratio between 2.0 and 2.5, line up!":thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.