Dinglespeed options - In need of 30T + cog- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Dinglespeed options - In need of 30T + cog

Ok so im building up my redline monocog and want to have two chainrings and two cogs, one ratio for the majority of the ride and another for the long climbs. I have been looking at an online chain length calculator (link below, really handy site) and it looks like I can run a 32x18 and a 22x 30 with the same length of chain and ratios that fit the bill. So where do I get a 30T single speed cassette cog? Seems I have two options - Run the 30t off of a standard loose cassette though Im worried the thin profile will gouge the freehub body if its not on a carrier of any sort (is this a valid concern?) or buy one of these adapters (link below as well) and run a standard 30 or 32t chainring on it. Anyone have any experience either way or know of any other options? Thanks!

Pinion Spider Hinterrad - Spider Rear Wheel - P8200 | eBay

Javascript Bicycle Chain Length Calculator

WillWorkForTrail
    I seem to remember Endless making a large cog, but I don't remember off hand how large it was.

Downcountry AF
    that is a HUGE jump in gearing. why do you need such a low climbing gear? that is serious sit and spin territory.

i would think 30:20-22 would be a more reasonable easy gear, and a lot easier to find parts for.

i would keep playing with your chain length calc. and find a more reasonable combo. example: 34:19 is about the same as 32:18 gear inch wise. that could open up more options.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Im in socal with some pretty brutal climbs, sitting and spinning is the only way up. Wish I didn't need the gearing but thats the only way "ss" can be usable to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    Im in socal with some pretty brutal climbs, sitting and spinning is the only way up. Wish I didn't need the gearing but thats the only way "ss" can be usable to me.
    If that's the case then I'd just use a geared bike because dinglespeeds aren't real single speeds anyway and singlespeeds are rarely about sitting and spinning on hills.
    The only times I sit and spin are on boring flat sections.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I already have too many geared bikes haha, this is just something I want to use in muddy conditions and not blow out my forks and more expensive geared drivetrains / just have cheap fun. Dingle is just about perfect for me as my favorite area to ride has one long techy steep climb after which you can choose from a number of ways down then climb that same hill back to the top for another DH run. stopping and changing the chain should not be that big a bother im hoping. I have found a good review or two on the chain ring to cog converter so I will likely go that route at this point.

mtbr member
    A. Pillage it from a geared cassette that can be separated

-or-

B. Convert a 30 tooth front chainring to be on a cassette.

Both have been done and how-tos are buried somewhere around here in the forums.

mtbr member
    Hammerschmidt then? Direct drive 1:1 and overdrive (for the downs) of 1:1.6. You need ISCG mount though.
    I've often wished that a wide-ratio, three speed IGH existed that was durable and didn't weigh a ton, with the middle gear the direct drive. I know, moon on a stick.....
    Have a look on the IGH forum - you might get some ideas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Endless make a 25T SS cog. I've successfully run a dingle with a 30/19 24/25 combo. Chain tension was pretty good. You could likely run a 22/25 and a 30/17 or even a 20/25 and 28/17 possibly. Reduced chain angle will make the tension a bit tight on the hard gear and loose on the easier but you could make it work.
    A 30T cog? I haven't come across a SS specific. Pilfering a cassette as mentioned above is an option, tensioning with such a large jump will be finicky.

Or just bite the bullet and Schlumpf it. They look like an intriguing option for people interested in 2 speeds.

Here's a link to my set up in the Dingle thread. If you scroll down you'll see my bike set up as a tringle as well. 23/24, 28/19, 30/17. Fun stuff messing around with experimental drivetrains.
    Mods are asleep... Post Your Dinglespeeds.- Mtbr.com

Good Luck!