Dingle or Twingle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dingle or Twingle?

So what is the consensus as to what to call it when you run 2 front chainrings and one rear cog? A Dingle speed or a Twingle speed?

Or is Twingle referring to running 2 cogs and one chainring?

Dingle - dual Twingle - two or twin ??
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just stick with calling it a "bike"...

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    Only you and your bike mechanic need to know.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

Out spokin'
    All I know is it's not a singlespeed.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Dive Bomber
    It's a singlespeed with extra chainring.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    It's a singlespeed with extra chainring.
    LOL! So is my geared bike.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    All I know is that the rider is referred to as a "dingle-berry" if they are hetro and are "twingle-berry" if they are h-mo.

Please don't finger your chain like that. Use a derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jeez... you guys are certainly of no help.

But funny

I should have known better.

Surly calls their double rear fixed cog a dingle btw.

mtbr member
    suggest you keep working on your project, and find a place with broader minds to share information on it.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Call it a 2 speed with a very slow shifter.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier
    So what is the consensus as to what to call it when you run 2 front chainrings and one rear cog? A Dingle speed or a Twingle speed?

Or is Twingle referring to running 2 cogs and one chainring?

Dingle - dual Twingle - two or twin ??
    I think those that run 2 cogs on their twospeeds have already claimed the word dingle, so you could actually start a new word with a twospeed that runs 2 chainrings up front. Although something to consider, imagine you are sitting on a bus and you strike up a conversation with a lady sitting next to you and she mentions that her brother loves to play ball. "Baseball or basketball?", you ask. Neither she says, he plays Twingle ball.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    suggest you keep working on your project, and find a place with broader minds to share information on it.
    Hi Cygnus,

I can't help but believe that my "nothing but a singlespeed is a singlespeed" comments / attitude is one of those that prompted your reply. After reading my apparently curt comment, I can't blame you for feeling that some (myself included) lack broad minds when it comes to posts on this forum. Actually I'd like to believe this is not the case (that I and others are narrow minded with regard to our comments in this thread).

I think this is indeed the correct forum to discuss frames that employ static chain length drivetrains. Perhaps I don't agree with MTBR that "singlespeed" is the proper name for such a forum. Dingles, fixies, IGH bikes all utilize similar frames. Does MTBR offer forums with those names? To be honest, I haven't even checked.

I don't have a closed mind (at least I don't want to believe I do). Like you, I sincerely hope the OP moves forward with his project. In hindsight, I agree that my comment above could appear curt and unsupportive, such is the nature of a medium where people can't easily recognize the emotion or nuance of the writer. It wasn't intended that way, but it felt that way to me when I revisited it.

Like me, you've been on MTBR for many years. You might remember a discussion on this very forum a year or two ago where a bona fide argument about what is and what isn't a singlepeed ensued. That discussion included people saying a dingle is indeed a singlespeed for reasons like "you have to stop the bike to change gears." I disagreed at that time and I still disagree. I believe a dingle is a multi-speed bicycle that is difficult to shift. But that doesn't make it any lesser a bike than a singlespeed, just a different kind of bike.

IIRC I started that argument. Oh boy...

Anyway it's not my intention to dis anybody's bike. That said, I will continue to defend the narrow definition of a singlespeed. This doesn't mean that I wish that those who want to discuss Rholoff hubs or dingles wouldn't post their inquiries on this forum. And I don't expect MTBR to give this forum a new, more inclusive name. Perhaps I'm just being a bit of a smartass while trying to keep the train on the tracks. Unintentional (most of the time).

I apologize for coming off narrow minded and unsupportive. Long live the dingle.

--sParty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 12-25-2010 at 08:23 AM.
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Hi Cygnus,

Long live the dingle.

--sParty
    sparty, seriously, no problem. you and i do go way back on this board, although i'm pretty inactive about posting. i do feel like i learned pretty much everything i know about SS bikes here. the advice shared has been invaluable.

i wasn't referring to your post in particular, more about the confrontations that always seem to occur when anyone brings up alternative configurations. i'd like to add some advice about these setups as i have three such bikes, but terminology (SS in the strict sense) seems to be paramount here. possibly these other bikes should be discussed in the drivetrain forum, as someone suggested.

i'm not hung up on terms. i rode one of my bikes in a true one speed configuration on a 150 mile race from canada to alaska. the next day, i put the other chainring and cog on to return it to a 2x2 rocket commuter. i don't care if people on this board would say i'm not an SSer.

i'm in good company though as these guys aren't SS either, changing their gearing on two cog flip flop hubs at a summit, 1922 tour de france.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dingle or Twingle?-1922_gear_change_big.jpg  

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    sparty, seriously, no problem. you and i do go way back on this board, although i'm pretty inactive about posting. i do feel like i learned pretty much everything i know about SS bikes here. the advice shared has been invaluable.

i wasn't referring to your post in particular, more about the confrontations that always seem to occur when anyone brings up alternative configurations. i'd like to add some advice about these setups as i have three such bikes, but terminology (SS in the strict sense) seems to be paramount here. possibly these other bikes should be discussed in the drivetrain forum, as someone suggested.

i'm not hung up on terms. i rode one of my bikes in a true one speed configuration on a 150 mile race from canada to alaska. the next day, i put the other chainring and cog on to return it to a 2x2 rocket commuter. i don't care if people on this board would say i'm not an SSer.

i'm in good company though as these guys aren't SS either, changing their gearing on two cog flip flop hubs at a summit, 1922 tour de france.
    Whoa! Awesome pic!

There's no particular glory nor particular shame in whatever kind of bike we ride. Those TdF guys flipping their wheels at the top of a pass in 1922 were def badass, but of course they were just using the state of the art equipment of the day. Road riders, DHers, SSers, whatever. We are all cyclists regardless of how much we split hairs.

For the record, I consider myself a singlespeeder even when I'm riding my gearie. Kinda like a smoker is still a smoker even when they're not lit up.

150 mile race? Whoa #2! That's 50 miles longer than I've ever raced SS before... speaking of badass... you da man. And then you rode home? Whoa #3. Way to freakin' go.

Merry Christmas!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    That's cool that you guys actually thought about what you said.

I wasn't really offended at any point. It is kind of a silly question and I assumed everyone was just trying to be funny, which they were.

When I built up my ss recently I left my 24 tooth chainring on because it was already there, but I couldn't use it with a Singulator because it would cause skipping. I just installed a Melvin and now it seems I can use the 24, at least in the yard. I haven't been to the trails with it yet. I'm good with the 34 20 almost everywhere but there are those few instances where having a lower gear might mean the difference between riding or stalling out and walking; so I'm kind of excited to see how having 2 gears works out but still using the big one 99% of the time.

It's pretty easy to shift down with a tap of your toe but shifting up is a pain. I'm actually thinking of fabricating a very simple front derailleur to only shift up. So if it works well enough I might need to call it something hence the original post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Hi Cygnus,

I can't help but believe that my "nothing but a singlespeed is a singlespeed" comments / attitude is one of those that prompted your reply. After reading my apparently curt comment, I can't blame you for feeling that some (myself included) lack broad minds when it comes to posts on this forum. Actually I'd like to believe this is not the case (that I and others are narrow minded with regard to our comments in this thread).

I think this is indeed the correct forum to discuss frames that employ static chain length drivetrains. Perhaps I don't agree with MTBR that "singlespeed" is the proper name for such a forum. Dingles, fixies, IGH bikes all utilize similar frames. Does MTBR offer forums with those names? To be honest, I haven't even checked.

I don't have a closed mind (at least I don't want to believe I do). Like you, I sincerely hope the OP moves forward with his project. In hindsight, I agree that my comment above could appear curt and unsupportive, such is the nature of a medium where people can't easily recognize the emotion or nuance of the writer. It wasn't intended that way, but it felt that way to me when I revisited it.

Like me, you've been on MTBR for many years. You might remember a discussion on this very forum a year or two ago where a bona fide argument about what is and what isn't a singlepeed ensued. That discussion included people saying a dingle is indeed a singlespeed for reasons like "you have to stop the bike to change gears." I disagreed at that time and I still disagree. I believe a dingle is a multi-speed bicycle that is difficult to shift. But that doesn't make it any lesser a bike than a singlespeed, just a different kind of bike.

IIRC I started that argument. Oh boy...

Anyway it's not my intention to dis anybody's bike. That said, I will continue to defend the narrow definition of a singlespeed. This doesn't mean that I wish that those who want to discuss Rholoff hubs or dingles wouldn't post their inquiries on this forum. And I don't expect MTBR to give this forum a new, more inclusive name. Perhaps I'm just being a bit of a smartass while trying to keep the train on the tracks. Unintentional (most of the time).

I apologize for coming off narrow minded and unsupportive. Long live the dingle.

--sParty
    Maybe try backing it up with ..... a smiley!!!!!!

You know, to save your fingers from all that typing and all of us from all that reading.

Modifier - good luck with your project.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Lazy singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Doesn't it depend on if you plan to change the gear ratio - I have several SS conversions where I left the big ring on, because I didn't have, or couldn't be bothered to find short chainring bolts. I also have a beater where I use one cog on a freewheel (6-speed), but couldn't remove the rest. And are those people who are constantly changing their gear ratio (depending on the trail) really singlespeeding? How about those people with several bikes with different ratios?

If you are riding a bike, and having fun, it's all good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    doube rear (and usually matching tooth diference double front) is dingle because you basically have dual single speed gears.
    double front rings with tensioner to a single rear is twingle. (twin ring single)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Members who have read this thread: 0