Digs on the Karate Monkey?- Mtbr.com
    bicyclist

Digs on the Karate Monkey?

Today I shapped the Al rigid fork on my Soul Cycles Hardline. For the second time. At exactly the same joint. So I'm a bit ticked about that, as well as generally pissed of at my bike. So I want a fresh start. Karate Monkey, yes please! This would be my "one bike", I'd start off by transferring the parts from the Hardline and then eventually replace all the shitty bits and nice it up real good. Any reason why not to? How is the KM's geometry with 26s? I'd eventually move up to 29s, but at the moment I've got a decent 26" wheelset.

fm
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

bicyclist
    Oh. Wait. Duh, I'd have to switch to 29s right away because there are no bosses for vees with 26s. I'm a retard. Any 29" wheelsets to reccomend that are similar to the KM (cheap, strong)?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    a friend of mine has a KM and he loves it. I'd consider buying one myself but i'm going with the Haro 29er when it comes out instead (only because my sponsor will hook me up on the haro).
    as for wheels, no clue bro. I think most mfg'rs are making 29" versions of their most popular wheels now. Not sure about mavic though. Maybe some WTB dual dutys? i have them in 26" on my SS and they seem fairly stout and not too heavy. I pop ALOT of spokes but the rims have held up. lace them up to a surly hub and you got yourself a budget wheelset that can take a beating.

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    Any 29" wheelsets to reccomend that are similar to the KM (cheap, strong)?
    That's not very helpful, let me describe a bit more what I'm looking for. I want disc and vee compatible, tubeless would be fine too, as I'm going to need completely different tires anyways. I want a cassette hub, and price is second only to durability for this setup.

Thanks

fm
    Tom Waits

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    tubeless would be fine too
    Actually, nix the tubeless. Anyone have experience with the Bonty Superstock DC 29s?
    Tom Waits

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    After all that I still have no idea what you want and for what.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    After all that I still have no idea what you want and for what.
    Oh god this thread is a disaster. Streeeammm of conciousness.
    I'll try from scratch.
    Tom Waits

bicyclist

Fresh start:

I apologize for absolutely not thinking before posting. This is what I'm looking to find out:

-Any bad experiences with the Karate Monkey?

-Any experience with the Bonty Superstock DC 29 wheelset?

-Any other wheelsets recommended that
    a) are 29"
    b) are strong
    c) are cheap-ish
    d) are disc and rim compatible
    e) have a cassette hub
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    I don't own a KM, but 2 friends of mine do and I've built up and ridden both. I think they feel great on the road, but I haven't had a chance to off-road with them. Problems? They don't work too well with fenders b/c of the horizontal drops. We had a pair of Paul Neo-Retros on one and we had trouble with fork shudder. I've had this problem with Pauls on other forks though too so I don't blame the KM. All other brakes (canti, V, or disc) seem to work well.

As for wheels I might recommend the Mavic Speedcity. I don't remember the price, but it wasn't bad if I recall. They'll do disc or rim brake. I use them on my Crosscheck for cross riding and light off-road. I think they'd be strong enough so long as you do mostly XC stuff. On the downside they are, of course, designed for gearies. You'd have to use spacers. I guess that doesn't really help you.

mtbr member
    I own a KM and like it a lot, but have you considered the 1x1? If you are a) breaking forks b)prioritzing durability in your wheels and c) looking to spend less rather than more, the 1x1 would better fit the bill. Not that the KM wouldn't work, but on compatibility with your decent wheels the 1x1 seems to have the edge.

Poorly Disguised Poser

I was thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I own a KM and like it a lot, but have you considered the 1x1? If you are a) breaking forks b)prioritzing durability in your wheels and c) looking to spend less rather than more, the 1x1 would better fit the bill. Not that the KM wouldn't work, but on compatibility with your decent wheels the 1x1 seems to have the edge.
    I love my monkey, but they are bigger and heavier than say a 1x1. bigger=longer fork=more leverage=possibly breaking. Never heard of anyone breaking a KM fork though.

The wheels are going to be weaker....any way you slice it a bigger hoop with the same spoke count is going to be A. much heavier, B. Much weaker, or C. all of the above.

I am not trying to talk you out of the KM, it is a great frame. But it might not be right for you.? Judging from you posts, you are still in the thinking phase anyway.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

Recovering couch patato
    Considering frame weight difference between a 1x1 and KM for purchase even worse than considering weight when buying a Surly frame, period :-) It's negligble.

I'd suggest finding a reputable local wheelbuilder, and have him lace some 36h hubs to perhaps Sun Rhynolites or Salsa Delgado Crosses. V-ready and strong. More dough : Mavic or DT offerings are nicer.

I live to bike
    do a search for the karate monkey on the surly and 29er forums, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about 'em! I'm still working on building up a KM myself, but can't give any feedback as to how it rides, yet. I'll be going with WTB laserdisc hubs, cassette hub in the rear so I can switch between gears and SS. search and surf the wheels and tires board, should get some ideas on strong, cheap wheels. or product reviews. I'm going with some road rims myself, the Mavic Open Pros, we'll see how they hold up.

Poorly Disguised Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Considering frame weight difference between a 1x1 and KM for purchase even worse than considering weight when buying a Surly frame, period :-) It's negligble.
    sorry, never mind.....just a little post race rage.
    Last edited by unit; 07-09-2006 at 02:39 PM.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    Well, the breaking of forks seems to be a construction issue, I had one that broke at the crown/steerer under moderate stress, they sent me a new one, which also broke at the crown/steerer intersecton under moderate stress. I'm not worried about breaking a Surly fork, I'm not that big and I don't ride that hard. I do however, ride hard enough that I don't think a road or touring wheelset would be at all appropriate. The breaking of forks simply means I'm looking to get a new one, and I've been thinking of trying out 29" for a while now, so instead of buying a new 26" fork for the existing bike and then maybe eventually switching all the parts onto a niner frame (and ending up with an unused new fork), I'm thinking of just giving up n the 26er frame for a bit (or forever) and just switching right away to 29". Holy run-on sentence, batman! Anyways, I was planning for my next bike to be 29", and an opportunity has presented itself for me to get a new bike, so 29" it will be (I think).
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Okay, then the KM has been good to me. Digs are that it is on the heavy side and the top tube is high for stand-over afficianados. Also, if you are already sure what kind of brake you want and whether you are going to ride geared or SS, having the extra hardware attached is an annoyance. All in all, pretty minor complaints.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, after weeding through all of that, I can tell you two things...if you're not too concerned about weight or bling, the best 29" wheelset for the monkey is the Salsa Delgado with a Deore or XT hub. Rim brake or disc, single speed or geared, no problem. And i have had no problems with the rigid KM fork.

mtbr member
    i've had a KM for awhile now. great bike. tuff, versatile, heavy tho. i've used it in all conditions, including ice/winter riding with CX tires to WTB nano in technical singletrack. havent ran cantis, but v-brakes and discs work well.

great 29er for the money.

hoops: get your mits on a set on sun rynolites. burly rims, absolutely no problems with 'em. lace em up to a 36 hole hub with a high flange if you can find one and you have a pretty indestructible wheelset.

*very* large clyde
    Jul 2006
    I'm building a KM right now and am going SS with SURLY hubs and WTB 32 holes, my LBS mechanic who has Built 2+ recomended the 32+DT double butted combo,

I have seen 32/36 XT Combo and it is a *fine* wheel.

Just remember that KM's have front der. clearance issues but this is easiy explaineded on the Surly blog.

good luck!

Steve-O

Philze

29 wheelset

I would go with Salsa Delgado Disc for the rims, nothing but good things to say about mine, got them from Speedgoat.

Also, using Revolver disc hubs, good stuff and can be converted from bolt to skewer.
    Aaron T. Collins

Members who have read this thread: 0