DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Different stem length for change in h-bar?

I just got a fixie for my campus/commuting bike. It currently has drop bars, but with no brakes and hence no hoods to ride on, I don't really like the hand position options. I'm looking into getting a Soma Urban Pursuit Handlebar (which should be pictured below if I uploaded the picture correctly). Am I right to assume that since the bar extends further forward you would tend to use a shorter stem to compensate? Is there a standard amount you would subtract from the stem length when switching to this type of h-bar? Or do you just use the same stem length, since the straight part would be in the same position? Probably that, eh? But just want to make sure.
    The current stem (at 130mm) is already too long. Using the 'ole "can I see the hub in the drops position" trick it appears I would need about a 100mm stem if I stayed with the drops. So either way I'll need to buy a new stem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

don't forger

Quote Originally Posted by DLd
    I just got a fixie for my campus/commuting bike. It currently has drop bars, but with no brakes and hence no hoods to ride on, I don't really like the hand position options. I'm looking into getting a Soma Urban Pursuit Handlebar (which should be pictured below if I uploaded the picture correctly). Am I right to assume that since the bar extends further forward you would tend to use a shorter stem to compensate? Is there a standard amount you would subtract from the stem length when switching to this type of h-bar? Or do you just use the same stem length, since the straight part would be in the same position? Probably that, eh? But just want to make sure.
    The current stem (at 130mm) is already too long. Using the 'ole "can I see the hub in the drops position" trick it appears I would need about a 100mm stem if I stayed with the drops. So either way I'll need to buy a new stem.
    also don't forget that bar should be only about a inch below the saddle line. Otherwise you are going to hating life especially as far as your back is concerned

Members who have read this thread: 0