Different Grips? (my hands hurt going uphill)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Different Grips? (my hands hurt going uphill)

I ride a rigid 29er SS. I have a Titec Ti Flatracker bar with small Ergon grips. My hands hurt on the uphills! My hands seem okay on the flats and downhills, they may still get banged up but they mostly seem to hurt and get sore on the uphill climbs.

I'm not sure if the Ergon grips are too hard or if its something else.

Any suggestions?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i really like the salsa grips with the little peppers all over them. They arent too thin or hard, and they arent too thick either. They hold up really well (i'm going on 4 years of solid use with them), and they never slip/spin.
    check them out: http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...cks-Grips.html

Ovaries on the Outside
    Like me some ouries. They do have some pia aspects.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Like me some ouries. They do have some pia aspects.
    They're just wayyy too soft for me.

I cant get a good tug on if it's too soft.

Ovaries on the Outside
    They also can slip around if they get wet enough, or you get them too wet during installation. I've also had friends have problems with the squares hurting hands.

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    They're just wayyy too soft for me.

I cant get a good tug on if it's too soft.
    Your quote iced me for some reason.

Did I catch a niner+?
    ^^and that is why I use ESI Chunkies. They're thin enough to grip and won't slip. They take a some road chatter from my rigid, and inspire grip confidence especially on those steep stand up torque busting lungs burning hands clenched climbs.

I have Ergons on my road/commuter but the rubber is too hard for any wet riding. I've never slipped but they do not inspire confidence.

Another set to look at is Lizard Skins Peaty, the rubber is very grippy and easy on the hands.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    simple solution - don't climb!

Try some of those Ritchey ergonomic lock on jobbers - foam grips with lockon feature.

I've got the non lock on ones and I kinda like em - and they were wicked cheap to boot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've also had friends have problems with the squares hurting hands.
    I'm in that camp.

mtbr member
    I tried ESIs, but found that cheap Dimension foam grips are more comfortable: e.g. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...0&category=326

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    Is your pain like numbness from pressure on the nerves or is it a pain, like it hurts while holding the bars and then really hurts when you open your hands back up?

I like the Lizard Skins Peaty Lock-Ons. They are really tacky, even when wet. Mine are worn down but still have plenty of grip, and they have never slipped on me.

I had some hand pain but I had just dropped 2 teeth on my rear cog. I realized it was from gripping the T-Total crap out of the bars trying to dig up hills and accelerate through tight sections. I've really had to make a conscious effort to relax my grip on the bars.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

mtbr member
    I really like the Ergons, I hated the way they looked but there is no denying that they helped a ton with wrist pain.

Dr Gadget is IN
    +1K ESI!!!

Chunky or Racers Edge:
    http://www.esigrips.com/Silicone_Gri..._Absorbing.htm
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

master blaster
    ^
    i ride the chunky and racers edge and love both.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    ESIs are awesome but thin. Even the Chunky version. Also they are not particularly durable.

I am back to Ourys - the softer non lock-on version.

Trick is installing them right.

1 - Make sure the bar is clean AND dry.
    2 - Put bar end plugs in bar BEFORE you put on the grips
    3 - Put them on dry (no water or WD-40 or windex) with compressor

Using this method, mine have stayed tight, even on my slippy ti bar, through the worst weather.

Perfect rigid grip.

LP

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    I tried ESIs, but found that cheap Dimension foam grips are more comfortable: e.g. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...0&category=326
    For realz those work well? I had cork grips that seem awfully similar for most of a ride. I knicked a tree and half of the grip tore clean off.

Inquiring minds want to know here...

Gigantic Hawk
    I currently use bar tape on my SPI Gnar Bar. Love the ESI Chunkies, but the tape gives me a longer grip overall. The Ourys are great on my commuter, but were to rough on my hands off road.

One thing to look into is the angle of your handlebar. You may be getting pain due to the position of your hands/wrists when you are standing. A simple rotation of a couple of degrees in either direction may solve your problem.

mtbr member
    For realz those work well? I had cork grips that seem awfully similar for most of a ride. I knicked a tree and half of the grip tore clean off.

Inquiring minds want to know here...
    They have cork flakes, but they are mostly synthetic foam. There is a similar shaped all-cork version (brown) that is very hard.

I've tried others that were pretty flimsy and lasted about one ride. I tried ESI's, but they felt pretty hard to me and I ended up tearing one when I hit a tree.

The Dimensions are softer than ESIs and I have yet to wear one. I'm sure they are no tougher than ESIs in a crash, but they are half the price to replace.

Apr 2007
    I'm also using ESI Chunkies. Can't find another set of grips I like better.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    They have cork flakes, but they are mostly synthetic foam. There is a similar shaped all-cork version (brown) that is very hard.

I've tried others that were pretty flimsy and lasted about one ride. I tried ESI's, but they felt pretty hard to me and I ended up tearing one when I hit a tree.

The Dimensions are softer than ESIs and I have yet to wear one. I'm sure they are no tougher than ESIs in a crash, but they are half the price to replace.
    Thinks. I'm going to give it a shot.

Let's ride
    I have ESI chunkies and Ritchey WCS foamies. The foamies are better and softer.

Interesting your hands hurt on uphills. Mine will hurt on LONG steep climbs when I'm on the barends and trying to rip the bars off my bike. My barends are those little thin Profile 'wings' looking things.
    How, and where are your hands hurting when climbing? What type of climbing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use ESI grips as well, but they are on my FS bike and I get sore hands there as well. I like them, but think I'm going to try the Dimension grips. I had Dimension grips on my Jones bar, but did not like them at 45* angles.

My hands usually are sore in the palms and knuckles. It's hard to explain unfortunately. But even though I'm riding rigid, its mostly the long uphills that make my hands the most uncomfortable. On the downhills I get smacked around, but expecting it makes it easier or something. My friend suggested a sussy fork, but I doubt that would help me going uphill. The only thought is that maybe my hands need time to heal or something...

I'm also going to be getting a different bar sometime soon. I'm thinking it will be the Ragley Carnegie carbon.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    My hands usually are sore in the palms and knuckles. It's hard to explain unfortunately. But even though I'm riding rigid, its mostly the long uphills that make my hands the most uncomfortable. .
    Do you wear padded gloves? My hands get sore when I wear gloves from the pulling motion needed during climbing. It's more like a hand cramp feeling.

lord of my world
    I used Ergons all last summer and thought they were okay, I still had some hand pain. I put a pair of ESI chunkies on and will never go back to any thing else. I just got off a 2 day 120 mile mountain/road/gravel tour and for the first time, I didn't have any hand pain!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang
    Do you wear padded gloves? My hands get sore when I wear gloves from the pulling motion needed during climbing. It's more like a hand cramp feeling.
    I wouldn't call my gloves "padded" per say.

I rode today and on almost all the climbs I put my thumb forward of the bar. It's a little weird that way, but my hands did much better than they usually do.

I am going to buy 2 new different sets of grips, and a carbon Carnegie bar, but I haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet...

Oh yeah, I also got a shorter stem 70mm (from 90mm), and this seems to help my position, but not really my hands.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ESI chunky

ride more and your hands will get stronger. its most likely just fatigue because you're gripping so hard and pulling so hard on each side-to-side stroke. your hand muscles/ligaments will get used to it over time.

and if you don't have the opportunity to ride that much, get one of those grip strengthener things and use it while doing other mundane tasks (driving, watching tv, talking on phone...etc)

Members who have read this thread: 0