different gears same ratio.- Mtbr.com
    I Void Waranties

different gears same ratio.

this will be on a dj/urban bike if it makes ant difference.

Lets say we keep it at a 2-to-1 ratio
    Using a 28-14
    Or a 32-16

What will be the pro's or cons? Will there be any noticeble diference in the way it rides?
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

Bike Dork
    Pros of 28/14 - lighter - smaller chainring less likely to bend on sprocket stalls
    cons - less chain wrap, less teeth to fight the same amount of torque

pros of 32/16 - easier to find 32 tooth sprockets
    cons - all the hipster dirtjump kids will make fun of you

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    If you are running a bolt-on wheel with no chain tensioner (the type that takes up slack, not the BMX type that holds the wheel in place), as long as you tension the chain correctly when you bolt down the wheel, the chain wrap issue won't be an issue. Generally chain wrap issues - the chain slipping off the gear/cog under high load - only happen when the chain is either too loose or has the ability to become too loose, i.e. with a slack-taking tensioner.

That said, the only con I've found with smaller ring/cog setups is that you go through chains much faster. I ran a 24/15 for a while on my XC 29er and went through chains like mad. I've switched to a 32/19 (different ratio of course) and chains last much longer.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bigger will always be smoother, and last longer. I would say that you would be less likely to snap a chain with larger CR and cogs also.

Microdrive: one of those ideas that sounds/looks much cooler than it actually proves out to be.

I Void Waranties
    thanks for all the replies.

the bike is a BLK markt mob I believe they have horizontal dropouts and I will be using bolt trough in the rear. I can get the chains cheap at around 6USD for a KMC singlespeed ...no idea if they are any good but i figured at this price I could just by a new one if it doesnt perform or last.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    That ratio is going to be a bit short for any sort of jumping. You might look into something more along the lines of a 2.1 or 2.2 ratio. Then again I'm a fatass and couldnt get air running a 2.0, I'd spin and spin and never have enough speed to get off the ground. Regeared to a 2.3 and now its easy.

The main advantage of the microdrive is for more chainring clearance for doing lip drop-ins. You should have plenty of clearance with a 32-34T, and if not, throw a taller fork on and you will.

Members who have read this thread: 0