Different chains for SS crank?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Different chains for SS crank?

I'm trying to locate a 32 or 33 tooth SS crank. But the ones I've found use a "single-speed specific" chain such as the Middleburn Uno (I think). I'm assuming these chains are different from the ones on double cranks. Does anybody make a SS crank that uses a chain that can go with my cassette? Thanks.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buonarroti
    I'm trying to locate a 32 or 33 tooth SS crank. But the ones I've found use a "single-speed specific" chain such as the Middleburn Uno (I think). I'm assuming these chains are different from the ones on double cranks. Does anybody make a SS crank that uses a chain that can go with my cassette? Thanks.
    White Industries does. ENO. 3/32" chain works fine. I have a 32, and I know they make a 34. I don't know if it comes in a 33.

Retro Grouch

New question here. You should be okay...

I'm not sure what you mean by a "double crank" or "a SS crank that uses a chain that will go with my cassette". Are you going to run a 1x7/8/9? Regardless most the chainrings, Middleburn included will accept a 3/32 (7/8/9 speed) chain. There are also 3/32 SS chains that simply aren't designed to shift (just a thinner version of a 1/8" BMX chain). If by "cassette" you mean a single cog, either a 3/32 or a 1/8" chain will work.

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 05-14-2004 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "double crank" or "a chain that uses a chain that will go with my cassette". Are you going to run a 1x7/8/9? Regardless most the chainrings, Middleburn included will accept a 3/32 (7/8/9 speed) chain. There are also 3/32 SS chains that simply aren't designed to shift (just a thinner version of a 1/8" BMX chain). If by "cassette" you mean a single cog, either a 3/32 or a 1/8" chain will work.

1G1G, Brad
    I'll be using the SS crank to go with my 9 speed cassette. What I discovered is that 32 (or 33) tooth crank combined with a 13x26 rear cassette gives me all the gearing range I need. A 32x13 (66 gear inches) is the highest gear I need. I am quite possibly the world's slowest cyclist.

Retro Grouch

Idea! Ahhhh...we refer to that setup as a 1x9..

I'll be using the SS crank to go with my 9 speed cassette. What I discovered is that 32 (or 33) tooth crank combined with a 13x26 rear cassette gives me all the gearing range I need. A 32x13 (66 gear inches) is the highest gear I need. I am quite possibly the world's slowest cyclist.
    There is really very little difference (and mostly they are the same) between a SS crank and a muti-speed crank. The main difference seems to be the chainring where a non-ramped or pinned variety is preferred. Pretty much any crank can accept this kind of chainring. Some of the cranks, such as the Middleburn, Shimano XTR, or ENO are spiderless and have a very clean and Chi Chi look to them. You pretty much pay your money and take your choice. Occasionally you hear of a SS Chainring that doesn't like a 9 speed chain (I've heard some complaints about the Spot). Depending on your current crank, you can probably strip off the chainrings and install a 32 tooth non-ramp/pinned chain ring, without having to buy a new crank; Salsa makes a good cheap one and Surly says they will soon be releasing a stainless version.

1G1G, Brad
    Last edited by aka brad; 05-14-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Contrarian
    I think that Unos are available in both 3/32 and 1/8 although I've only ever seen 1/8.
    Don't you guys ever talk about anything apart from bikes?
    www.shitshifter.com

mtbr member

Why?

Why would you take off a pinned 32 to put on a SS 32, they work the same dont they for a 1x9.?

Retro Grouch

Silly answer..

Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Dude
    Why would you take off a pinned 32 to put on a SS 32, they work the same dont they for a 1x9.?
    The tooth profile of most ramped/pinned middle chainrings are designed to the drop the chain to the granny gear. You will usually notice some of the teeth are shorter then the others. Non pinned/ramped and especially SS chainrings have a more uniform tooth profile making a dropped chain less likely. This can be a major factor on a 1x 7/8/9 if the derailleur is removed, as the chainline will be off in all but one or two gears and there is nothing else but the teeth holding the chain on the chainring.

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    Thanks for that answer, it makes sence. I guess I should get a SS sproket for the front. Im running a 1x9 and it does fall off sometimes.