Did my first Urban SS Ride Yesterday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Did my first Urban SS Ride Yesterday

... and man am i outta shape. Im new on here and new to the SS community. Just got a BlkMrkt RIOT and am loving it (actually wondering why i didn't have one in high school) I love everything about SSin except the fact i can't make it up any hills around me. They are pretty steep and long and find myself gettin off half way up, panting, sweating and pissed i am so outta shape. so my question...

What is some good advice to get in shape on my SS? I already have been trying to conquer the hills by me after work each day but im not sure thats enough. Just thought id get some more "expert" advice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeDJ
    What is some good advice to get in shape on my SS? I already have been trying to conquer the hills by me after work each day but im not sure thats enough. Just thought id get some more "expert" advice.
    Here's my expert advice: Pedal, damn it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Take one long-ish hill, try your damned best each time to ride up a little bit more each time. It'll take a while, and you'll feel miserable for the first several tries. Keep trying man. One day you WILL get up that damned hill without a stop. Then you suddenly realize that you are in a better shape. One small accomplishment will motivate you to get to the next goal. It's not easy first, but try hard, and I can guarantee you that you will feel an improvement in 3 months. Next thing you know, you'll have dimples on your guts. I'm serious. Don't quit, keep trying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Whats crazy is that even though i get my ass handed to me after every ride, i actually wanna ride it more and more ... kinda like i want the beating. I went out today for a good couple hours and after had a good puke afterwards. Hopefully after a few rides like that ill get over the hump. Im 21 and played club basketball and baseball with lots of conditioning. I dreaded practice everyday but with this SS DJ, Im shoveling it in and wanting more

I think imma just ride up the steepest hill in town till i can't go higher...coast down... and try it again and again till i can't anymore. I truly believe this is the best $$$ ive spent in a while

mtbr member
    Urban ride, like riding around a city environment, or urban hucking? And an SS DJ is going to have steeper gearing and worse climbing geometry than a normal XC SS like most of the guys on here have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob
    Urban ride, like riding around a city environment, or urban hucking? And an SS DJ is going to have steeper gearing and worse climbing geometry than a normal XC SS like most of the guys on here have.
    I would say both. I just try to find steep hills to build my endurance and then if i find a good ledge/curb/ or grassy knoll to launch off of im hittin it. I work right next to UPS so there loading docks are fun. I want to find some DJ spots around me but with work and school all i have time for really is a couple hour ride after work. I can't wait to be in good enough shape to climb any hill in town on my SS DJ

Members who have read this thread: 0