Diamondback Build or not to build...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Diamondback Build or not to build...

Group,

I have an old Diamondback Outlook 20Ē that I like to refer to as the led sled. Needless to say this bargain Dicks Sporting Goods bike has finally given up on me. Most of the components are worn out and the bike is either going to become a fun project or set out on the curb for the G man or the neighborhood kids to have.
    My friend last year built a single speed, and it was refreshing to ride. I would like to turn the diamondback into a cheap fun around town bike, and possibly shed a few pounds off it! Emphasis on cheap!

So I am looking for advice, tips, doís and doníts, and finally if itís even worth messing around with.
    Thanks,

Bob

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can get a simple singlespeed kit with tensioner for less than $30. It'll take a lot off the bike if all that silly gear stuff is removed. Might come into an issue with having a freewheel vs a cassette so might need to buy a threaded freewheel.

In the end you'll end up with a simple SS, different gear ratios for what you'll be riding will have to be decided by you. 34x18 is fairly common for offroad, but you'll want something a little steeper if you're just riding in the city.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks,

Now for the ratio, riding mostly in town but I do hit trails in the park here in town. 34*18 the way to go?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorBob
    Thanks,

Now for the ratio, riding mostly in town but I do hit trails in the park here in town. 34*18 the way to go?
    http://www.mtbr.com/ssfaqcrx.aspx

Don't thank me.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    looking to pick this kit up from Nashbar, its the single speed kit....

Should work with my Diamondsack 7speed cog...

Convert nearly any modern bike to a single speed, our kit has everything you need using your existing chain and chain ring. Our kit includes spring chain tensioner with adjustable chain line, all the spacers you need in 2 different widths to fine tune your chain line, 14t, 15t, and 16t cogs, and Shimano-compatible lockring. Fits all Shimano 7-, 8-, and 9-speed compatible freehubs. We even include some handy instructions to get you started.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have an old outlook that i recently converted to SS. Its now my primary bike! Mine had semi horizontal dropouts so it was kind of a given to convert. I used the stock crankset for a while with the other 2 rings taken off. Can't help ya on the wheels as I used a set of wheels with a free hub to make it easy to convert.
    What year is yours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Also should I change my chain ring out now or can i do that down the line and still use the same single speed chain i purchased

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i'd change the chainring. You dont want to use a ramped/pinned chainring (which pretty much every geared bike comes with) because they're designed for shifting, and it'll "shift" when you really dont want it to. You can definitely hurt yourself if your chain drops in the middle of a grunt up a steep hill. Unless you already have all the kids you want and dont really care

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice man,

Do not want to bust up the baby maker yet!

Well i guess this is my next of many questions, the bike came with a Shimano Tourney FC-TY33 crank set, and it has 4 screw attaching the chain rings, are after market 4bolt chainrings compatable with this?

Oh how does spindle size come into play with a BB this bike is a 68mm english with a 124.5 spindle....

Thanks,

Bob

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Nice man,

Do not want to bust up the baby maker yet!

Well i guess this is my next of many questions, the bike came with a Shimano Tourney FC-TY33 crank set, and it has 4 screw attaching the chain rings, are after market 4bolt chainrings compatable with this?

Oh how does spindle size come into play with a BB this bike is a 68mm english with a 124.5 spindle....

Thanks,

Bob
    More than likely it's a 104bcd bolt pattern, but i'm just guessing. So just buy a 4 bolt 104bcd single speed chainring after you confirm this. 104bcd means the bolt circle diameter is 104mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    going to have to wait till i get back home to check that one out.

The SS kit for the rear is on the way, also got a SS chain coming. I may do some ez riding around the yard to test out ratios with the current crank then order a chainring before i hit pavement etc.

Really need to buy a metric tape.....

one chain loop
    the bike came with a Shimano Tourney FC-TY33 crank set, and it has 4 screw attaching the chain rings, are after market 4bolt chainrings compatable with this?
    you cannot remove the chainrings from that particular crankset, trust me.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    you cannot remove the chainrings from that particular crankset, trust me.

Ah man, didnt know that. Looks like a new crankset is in order. Now I need to get an el cheap-o- crankset!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ok.

I guess now is time to stand and fight or to turn and run. Some of you might have read my need a cheap SS crankset thread, as the Diamondsack has a Toys R Us crankset on it that will not allow me to change chainrings so here is the issue.

So far invested

26.99 SS kit
    16.99 SS chain

So I am up to $44 not bad, but looking at cranksets and what has been sugested etc I am going to spend another 40-80.

My guess is with chainring I am going to be looking at around $150-200 total investment. So is it even worth it when at the end of the day Ill still have an old cheap diamondback frame and junk omni shocks under me, or do I just return what I got already and possibly drop $399 on a factory SS bike?

Ever more Poor Bob

one chain loop
    try pinkbike, maybe one of your locals are selling cheap used cranks.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Currently in Exile
    Cheap crank with bottom bracket and 32t chainring if you don't mind Ebay and used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tru-Vativ-Blaze-...item2a05b4f5ef

Not mine BTW.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks guys,

Im going to slow down and wait for something to come around, getting in a hurry never seems to be the best plan....

Sad to say but all the LBS are not much help around here. Basic push bikes out the door and offer little or no knowledge beyond that.

Members who have read this thread: 0