Dia Tech 287V Levers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dia Tech 287V Levers

I ordered some Dia Comp 287V levers from a mail order outfit but when I got them they were in a Dia Tech package. From what I understand from reading other posts these are basically the same lever (the hoods say Dia Comp) but mine did not come with the adjustable brake noodles just the little ones for the lever (which I understand you should not use). I can probably fab up an adjustable brake noodle using some standard noodles and STI adjusters but are there any differences in quality between the two brands or are they truly the same? I donít really want to send them back as I got a pretty good deal on them and I wanted to use them this weekend but if there is some kind of major quality difference I may. There is also no actual model number on the packaging so is there a way to tell if these are truly the V model (they look like it).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not positive but... You got a good deal because you didn't get those noodle. However, nobody uses those damn noodle anyway. I wish I knew that before I got my levers, because the DiaTech's would have cost me about $20 less. Search for posts about the levers, I know I started one. Shiggy and lot of other gave good feedback. I just stuck the cablehousing right into the lever. I've not had a single problem, and I'm sure I could have been more carefull about the job.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the reply. Unforturnately the levers came with the short noodles (which per the other posts I saw should not be used) but not the adjustable noodles for the V-Brakes themselves. I know I can use standard noodles that came with my brakes but it leaves me with no adjustability. The place I bought them from is looking into getting me some so I can't complain.

The finish on the levers themselves are not what I expected for a $50.00 lever. The lever blade has slight dents/pits in places but the finish is in tact so it appears to have been that way before they plated the levers. This really is not that big of a deal as they will be covered in mud after this weekend but my $25.00 Tektros seem a lot more refined than these.

I'd agree concerning the quality v. Tektro's; they're a bit of a scuzzy lever. My wife runs 'stache bars and 287v's on her SS, we used the short noodle on one lever because it actually did provide less cable friction.

I presume the noodle's you didn't get are the one's with barrel adjusters? I've never found them to be a great necessity on any bike. Especially with v-brakes it's easy enough to take cable in at the brake and readjust tension as needed.

I do think I'll avoid 287v's when given a choice, the feel of the lever just isn't so good. The old RX100 road lever's I use (with Avid road bb7s) have a much nicer pull.

Members who have read this thread: 0