DH/AM cranks on a rigid all-around 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

DH/AM cranks on a rigid all-around 29er?

So, I am trying to pick out a single speed cranks set for my all-arounder Ogre build.

The Shimano Saint M810-1 has really caught my eye, mainly because it seems tough...overbuilt even.

I guess my question is this: How stupid is it to use a "down hill' or "all mountain" cranks on a bike that is mainly a trekking style bike?

I am a clyde so I am looking for a super sturdy crank set, any other cranks I am overlooking?

mtbr member
    As long as parts are compatible, I don't see why not. I'm a baby clyde (5'6" 220 lb) on rigid ss 29er with lots of air time, and I've been slowly upgrading my Kona Unit with Raceface Turbine parts. Tough enough for downhill, light enough for xc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used raceface DH cranks on my rigid for 2 years because I got them cheap. Aside from being heavier they all work the same. You put your feet on the pedals, make them go round and round and the bike goes zoom.

HOV
    mtbr member
    What BB/BB interface style are you planning to use? Square taper? ISIS? Hollowtech? That's a huge factor in what is available for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    I used raceface DH cranks on my rigid for 2 years because I got them cheap. Aside from being heavier they all work the same. You put your feet on the pedals, make them go round and round and the bike goes zoom.
    Zoom good!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HOV View Post
    What BB/BB interface style are you planning to use? Square taper? ISIS? Hollowtech? That's a huge factor in what is available for you.
    hollow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HOV View Post
    Actually I am open to suggestions as to the strongest, trouble-free set up possible.

Weight and Q-factor are non-issues...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    RF 2-piece has known wobble issues so I implemented my own fix and rode this setup for 2yrs trouble-free

local trails rider
    I have Saint cranks on my burly rigid SS 26" trail bike. the cranks are certainly strong (and they fit the color of the bike )

The BB is something to look after. Make sure the installation is tight and stays put. And replace if/when in doubt about its condition. Right now my theory is that, in external BB's, the DH versions with longer threaded sections make sense for a heavier guy riding SS.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Tiger View Post
    I guess my question is this: How stupid is it to use a "down hill' or "all mountain" cranks on a bike that is mainly a trekking style bike?
    Ha,

I am sub 180lbs; yeah that's my ti SS (sub 23lbs) and saint cranks + straitline pedals. So no you are not crazy or stupid Those things will last you a very long time.
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks, for the responses. Saint it is.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    RF 2-piece has known wobble issues so I implemented my own fix and rode this setup for 2yrs trouble-free

Sweet. I am set to try a similar JB Weld bodge to still the wobbly spider on my aging FC-752 cranks. I hope it works...
    Responds to gravity

Members who have read this thread: 0