Determining if I can go sans tensioner?- Mtbr.com
    beer *****es n' bikes

Determining if I can go sans tensioner?

I noticed a lot of people running a 42x18 42x16 or a 44x18 run sans-tensioner. What all is this dependent on? The reason I ask is...

I had a horrible accident tonite when I was playing "time trial" on the SS and at 30mph under absolute maximum load my chain came off the rear and wedged between the stay and cog. The rear locked up, when I tried to pedal out I realized the drivetrain was frozen and I went down on my side in a shower of sparks leaving a 20ft white skid mark from the handlebars as I hurtled towards a parked car. Managed to seperate from the bike and watched the bike continue its skid until it stopped about 6" from the car's door. Uncertain on damage but definately a bent crank (clicking on the stay), possibly tweaked the fork/frame/front brakes.

So I really want to go tensioner-less w/o spending the cash for an eno, just not feasible at this point. Also not feasible for me to find a frame with horizontal drops that meets my requirements... just too hard to come by and too expensive when I do.

Anyways any suggestions on how to get rid of this tensioner would be great. I'm running either a 44x18 or 42x18 can't remember what the front road crank is exactly.

Jonathan
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

Medium?

Nasty.

Glad you survived it at all. Just think if there was traffic [shudder].

Get thee to fixmeup. Search for it on google. That will give you an idea of how much one tooth will make. One tooth is about 1/8" of chainstay length, but it's more complicated than that.

Assuming your avatar shot is off your current bike, it look like you need about half a link. Spicer will hook you up with a half-link, and if that's exactly what you need, you'll be set. If it's then a little too tight, you could grind your axle a bit.

beer *****es n' bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Glad you survived it at all. Just think if there was traffic [shudder].

Get thee to fixmeup. Search for it on google. That will give you an idea of how much one tooth will make. One tooth is about 1/8" of chainstay length, but it's more complicated than that.

Assuming your avatar shot is off your current bike, it look like you need about half a link. Spicer will hook you up with a half-link, and if that's exactly what you need, you'll be set. If it's then a little too tight, you could grind your axle a bit.
    Thanks that utility is pretty sweet. I actually was running a 20t in the pic, running an 18t now so I am hoping that may have made the difference. Oh well I'll just fiddle with it at work today... sensin' another slow day.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)