mtbr member
    Dec 2005

der-ingle speed 2x2

So this is my solution to not enough gears/"I hate shifting." It's a roller in place of the derailleur guide pulley, and removal of the inner cage plate. The bottom pulley is then spaced in the middle of the roller, with a loop around the chain to keep it from falling off. What it means is that I can "manually" choose between 2 rear cogs and 2 chainrings, which means 4 gears. So I have:
    32T and 24T chainrings; 14T and 17T cogs, which allows the following gear combos:
    32/14 (2.3) - for pavement
    32/17 (1.9)
    24/14 (1.7)
    24/17 (1.4)
    I call it the der-ingle speed (becuse of the derailleur)
    Stupid? maybe....
    But itís what happens when you run out of money (The bike was free, too Ė dumpster special with donated parts!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Devolution is real!
    Very Clever, I like that idea a lot. I might have to use it someday on a project.

HTFU and Ride
    Though not a true SS it is very clever!

Best of both worlds really. Good work.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon
    Though not a true SS it is very clever!

Best of both worlds really. Good work.
    I'll admit to that! Burn me as a heretic!

But having no bikes with shifters has got to be worth something....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    F-hell, that's ghetto. Me likey!!!

Nice one!!! (and that's serious)

mtbr member
    What did you use for the roller?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The $.99 A-Mazing Drill Instructor tensioner from ebay. Used.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

That's great!!!!! A big gear to pedal on the road to the trails and then one for the dirt! Well done, mate! And on a nice KHS dumpster frame... she's a beauty! That fork looks like a 29er fork in the pic! Perhaps you could make it into a 69er too!!!!! And then you could ... that is some nice work!

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

one chain loop
    i see no cable and shifter, so i guess you have to bail and use a screwdriver to change gears?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    i see no cable and shifter, so i guess you have to bail and use a screwdriver to change gears?
    No, I use my fingers. Pick up the chain and put it on the ring/cog you want. It's really quite simple.

one chain loop
    very nice. but its kind of hard to imagine how it works, i mean you have to have both your pulley straight so it wont skip back to the other cog. unless the bottom pulley is free and follows the chain? pardon me, my mind is perplexed.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    DUDE THATS BRILLIANT!! Now all you need to do do is come up with some kind of lever actuated mechanism attached to a cable that could make the chain move from chainring to chainring and cog to cog while your still pedaling and you'd be in the pink! It might take a while but you might be able to find a market for your lever actuated mechanism and start selling them you could make a fortune! Hey I know call them shifters. I know it sounds a little sci fi futuristic but give it a shot we here on planet SS are behind you 100% You might get some marketing support from the DRIVETRAIN FORUM, just a thought

HTFU and Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ridindog
    DUDE THATS BRILLIANT!! Now all you need to do do is come up with some kind of lever actuated mechanism attached to a cable that could make the chain move from chainring to chainring and cog to cog while your still pedaling and you'd be in the pink! It might take a while but you might be able to find a market for your lever actuated mechanism and start selling them you could make a fortune! Hey I know call them shifters. I know it sounds a little sci fi futuristic but give it a shot we here on planet SS are behind you 100% You might get some marketing support from the DRIVETRAIN FORUM, just a thought
    LOL!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Wow, that's a narrow view of the world, isn't it? Either fully geared or single speed.... Pretty black-and-white if you ask me....

Welcome to the Gem...
    Quote Originally Posted by ridindog
    you should get some sort of award for that.

post of the month!!!
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The guy talking smack is pretty gay, if you ask me that is pretty god damn clever. Let us know how it works in the long run

Welcome to the Gem...
    clever... yes. but only if it was 50 years ago, or whenever it was that people were developing gear changing mechanisms...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    very nice. but its kind of hard to imagine how it works, i mean you have to have both your pulley straight so it wont skip back to the other cog. unless the bottom pulley is free and follows the chain? pardon me, my mind is perplexed.
    It makes for a not quite perfect chainline. But not so much that the chain wants to jump off the cog to span the 1/4" gap to the other cog. I can do it with my fingers, but that's a lot different than trail bumps. And as for the bottom pulley - it's not directly below either cog; it's right in the middle. Chainlines are not so important with a rear derailleur as with a single speed. Check out most geared chainlines - they suck! It actually works great. You can rip on it if you want - it IS fairly unconventional. But don't expect me to rip on your bike. I frankly don't give a F.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by evil plug
    The guy talking smack is pretty gay, if you ask me that is pretty god damn clever. Let us know how it works in the long run
    Yeth I'm totally gay what wath I thinking this is the one speed at a time forum not the thingle thpeed forum!
    Oh my god!! your tho therious you manley man you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    you should get some sort of award for that.

post of the month!!!
    Why thank you sir, I try to make people laugh other than when they see me trying to climb a steep hill on my single speed some people take me alittle to seriously though

Members who have read this thread: 0