Deore RD ok to use as tensioner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Deore RD ok to use as tensioner?

Since this will only be a "trial" bike for me, I am looking to go in the most cost effective route.

Those that I see going with the dereileur tensioner method seem to all be using XTR,would my Deore be acceptable?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fight the Kakistocracy!

should be

Take off the barrel adjuster and crank the limit screws down to adjust where you want the upper pulley to line up. You may have to replace the limit screws, hardware store, or old limit screws off old front der. from your LBS junk pile. When I did my 9spd XT, I also zip tied the parallelogram to the chainstay (you'd have to take the QR out to get the wheel out if you do this) and it worked great. If you have an old big ring for the crank, break off the teeth and file it down for a chain guard, that way you can use the same crank bolts, remove the little ring.

Good luck, have fun, and get ready to sell your other bikes.
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Use whatever you have. Rear derailleurs work fine. Be sure to shorten your chain as much as possible.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

People of zee wurl,Relax!

Works for me

I've been running a Deore as a tensioner on my GF Big Sur for 3 months now and it works great. I'm ready to buy a Single Speed specific bike now but I'm glad I did the trial with my hardtail first to see if I liked it.

mtbr member
    Nope, you really need an 2003 Shimano ultegra, nothing else will do. It doesn't matter if the deore seems to be working right now any second now your frame will suddenly snap in half just sitting in the garage

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodfist
    Since this will only be a "trial" bike for me, I am looking to go in the most cost effective route.

Those that I see going with the dereileur tensioner method seem to all be using XTR,would my Deore be acceptable?
    It will work great but I differ from the post that says remove the barrel adjuster. If turning the limit screw all the way in won't move the derailleur over far enough to line up the pulleys with the cog then do the following:
    - cut a 6 to 8 inch peice of shifter cable with the head attached.
    - turn the barrel adjuster all the way in
    - insert the cable so that the head is in the barrel adjuster, and clamp the free end of the cable onto the derailleur body.
    - turn the barrel adjuster out. The cable will tighten and move the derailleur over. Its also good for fine tuning the position of the pulleys.

Members who have read this thread: 0