Decision Time - Convert & Rebuild Mid 90s Bike, or a New Dawes DeadEye- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Decision Time - Convert & Rebuild Mid 90s Bike, or a New Dawes DeadEye

Well after 10 years of being out of the MTB scene I'm getting the itch to get back into it. I've decided that I want to keep things cheap and easy in the beginning until I start riding more often. I'm looking at getting a SS speed, but can't decide what the best path is.

I'm trying to decide if I should convert and upgrade my mid 90's MTB, or if I should get a Dawes Deadeye and start fresh.

My current bike is a 1997 Trek 930 with a Indy C up front. In order to get it trail ready it will need the following

New Brake Pads Front and Rear
    New Tubes
    New Cables
    New Brake Levers
    New Chain
    SS Cassette Converter
    SS Chain Tensioner
    New Rear Tire

I priced this all out online using basic parts and got a total of $85. This still leaves me with a 15 year old elastomer shock though. For another $89 I can replace it with a cheap DART shock, or I could track down a used rigid fork.

My other option is to get a new Dawes DeadEye for $319 shipped to my door, the biggest benefits are that its a 29er, everything is new, If I really get back into biking I can easily add disc brakes, a suspension fork, or convert it to 1x9.

I'm torn between the two, the old bike has a huge amount of sentimental value to me, I would love to see it back on the trail, but I don't want to dump money into it and still have a worn out old bike. The DeadEye is a great deal, has gotten good reviews, and is a more modern platform to start with.

There is also a part of me that realizes $89 isn't all that much money, and I should just upgrade the old bike and order the DeadEye at the same time

Convince me one way or the other, I appreciate the advice.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by threepedals

There is also a part of me that realizes $89 isn't all that much money, and I should just upgrade the old bike and order the DeadEye at the same time
    Bingo

mtbr member
    just order the deadeye then if you still "Have" to, you can upgrade the old one. you wont be dissappointed
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.

Members who have read this thread: 0