Decision time- Mtbr.com

Thread: Decision time

mtbr member

Decision time

I am looking between getting a 29er ss or staying with the traditional 26er.

I like both, I have ridden both 29 and 26er bikes extensively and I have come to the conclusion that they are both about on par. Yes the 29er rolls better and that is about all I can think of, where as the 26er is more fun downhill ,it is easier to loft the front tire, the bike accelerates better and is all around more fun to ride, and the weight weenie inside me is screaming that the 26 is lighter too. I have been having trouble trying to figure out which will be better.

Any Input / Advise?
    Ride & Smile

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    26er for life.
    had a 29er, hated it. good for some people, but not for me. sounds like you're in the same boat.

mtbr member
    I like em' I just haven't found one I love. I do really like the one9 but I have not been able to ride it yet.
    Ride & Smile

Out spokin'
    Flip a coin?

I know what I'd buy... telling you what that is would be pretty pointless.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

master blaster
    650b

MTB NOLA
    "weenie inside me is screaming" lol Really?

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by vudu
    I share the sentiment sans the demeaning taunt. Personally I'm the kind of guy to choose one direction or the other and commit. Big wheel and small wheel each have their advantages... in between wheel just seems like a compromise.

Generally speaking, I hate compromises.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by vudu
    I knew there was something not right with you rigid guys! How's the riding been down there Vudu? Saw the pics from the ROTD, looked like a lot of fun man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Flip a coin?

I know what I'd buy... telling you what that is would be pretty pointless.

--sParty
    i got a better idea than flipping a coin.
    get 2 very attractive women, and have them mud wrestle. one with 26 on her chest and one with 29, whoever wins will be the deciding factor. I might just film it and put in on youtube also.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    26er for life.
    had a 29er, hated it. good for some people, but not for me. sounds like you're in the same boat.
    if i remember right from pics of your bike your pretty tall too, and you still love 26. sweet. I was looking at getting the new 1x1 just because i can reuse my 6 month old 700 dollar wheelset. on top of that i can run a 100mm fork and super fat tires. but then i will have another ss frame lying around begging me to do something CRAP!!!
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    650b

+1.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    get 2 very attractive women, and have them mud wrestle. one with 26 on her chest and one with 29, whoever wins will be the deciding factor. I might just film it and put in on youtube also.
    I like it. Better yet, get wimmin with a 36 chest.

Just sayin'.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Jul 2006
    if i remember right from pics of your bike your pretty tall too, and you still love 26. sweet. I was looking at getting the new 1x1 just because i can reuse my 6 month old 700 dollar wheelset. on top of that i can run a 100mm fork and super fat tires. but then i will have another ss frame lying around begging me to do something CRAP!!!
    i'm only a little over 6'1", but i have longer legs.
    i rode a super bling 29er last night that was 2lbs lighter than my 26er, and while it was nice, it still just didnt feel right. it felt twitchy AND slow in the steering both at the same time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    In my opinion it's all about the geometry. I've had 4 different 29er frames and each one was very different.

2009 Cannondale Caffeine 29er 3 single speed - steering was slow, felt like a big bike

2010 Cannondale Flash 1 Aluminum - steering was super fast, almost too twitchy

2010 Redline Monocog Flight - steering perfect, feels a tiny bit like a big bike

2011 Cannondale Flash 2 Carbon - absolutely perfect in every way, feels like a 26
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I am looking between getting a 29er ss or staying with the traditional 26er.

Where as the 26er is more fun downhill ,it is easier to loft the front tire, the bike accelerates better and is all around more fun to ride, and the weight weenie inside me is screaming that the 26 is lighter too. I have been having trouble trying to figure out which will be better.

Any Input / Advise?
    Sounds like you answered your own question. I'd pick whichever was more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Sounds like you answered your own question. I'd pick whichever was more fun.
    my problem is that i don't want to buy a 26 and have it be out dated and not have anyone make rims and tires for it in a couple of years.

i was reading an article in some euro mtb mag the other day and someone was saying that 29ers will dissapear in a couple of years, sll i could think of though is what a moron this guy was.
    Ride & Smile

Jul 2006
    my problem is that i don't want to buy a 26 and have it be out dated and not have anyone make rims and tires for it in a couple of years.

i was reading an article in some euro mtb mag the other day and someone was saying that 29ers will dissapear in a couple of years, sll i could think of though is what a moron this guy was.
    people still make rim brakes, dont they? i think you'll be well done and over with any bike you buy before 26ers are dead. i'll start making rims if i have to lol

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    you asked so my 2cents

I only ride SS and only 29er's. However, I loved my 1st generation Inbred 26 SS and rode it for years. My 29er's don't accelerate the way the Inbred did but my wheels aren't exactly light. I like other aspects of them better but I know what you mean by acceleration

26" isn't going away any time soon, nor is 29 and one isn't "better" than the other

Get whatever makes you happy and don't worry about all the hype and what others think. As long as you love the bike, you'll ride it. And, as long as you ride it, you will be better off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hsakkire
    you asked so my 2cents

I only ride SS and only 29er's. However, I loved my 1st generation Inbred 26 SS and rode it for years. My 29er's don't accelerate the way the Inbred did but my wheels aren't exactly light. I like other aspects of them better but I know what you mean by acceleration

26" isn't going away any time soon, nor is 29 and one isn't "better" than the other

Get whatever makes you happy and don't worry about all the hype and what others think. As long as you love the bike, you'll ride it. And, as long as you ride it, you will be better off.

I'm with him. Pick what you want and feel is right. My advice would be 29er but then again I'm completely bias as that's what I ride. 29er HT SS and 650b geared FS. Those are my two bikes and love both. I'm a fan of big wheels. Not saying one is better than the otherone just stating my preference.

I wouldn't make a big deal about the weight weinnie inside you as you can build a very light 29er specially SS now days.

I'm not gonna go on telling you why I like 29ers better Bc that's not the point. From you post I'd say you are 95% set on a 26 so just go for it and enjoy it.

Combat Wombat
    That is disgusting. Count me in on a copy of that video.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I clearly have the definitive answer. I was buying beer tonight and ran into a local frame builder. We both do 26" bikes because 29ers are such a ***** to handle. I mean, what is the point of rollover if you can't get to the part of the tech section where rollover is needed? I tend to think of 29ers as great beginner bikes, as they can give you tons of confidence in terms of getting over obstacles.

But sParty is way better than me and rides 29ers.

I still think the best option involves a 650b front, at least. Instead of compromising with an extreme, take the wheelsize that bikes were meant for.

mtbr member
    I will definitely be getting another 26. I have too much invested in a brand new wheelset and they are just so much more fun.
    Ride & Smile

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I clearly have the definitive answer. I was buying beer tonight and ran into a local frame builder. We both do 26" bikes because 29ers are such a ***** to handle. I mean, what is the point of rollover if you can't get to the part of the tech section where rollover is needed? I tend to think of 29ers as great beginner bikes, as they can give you tons of confidence in terms of getting over obstacles.

But sParty is way better than me and rides 29ers.

I still think the best option involves a 650b front, at least. Instead of compromising with an extreme, take the wheelsize that bikes were meant for.
    Paul, you need a Breathalyzer on your keyboard (I'm one to talk!)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Paul, you need a Breathalyzer on your keyboard (I'm one to talk!)
    Oh come on! You just ****ed over my internet persona!!!!

I was mostly kidding in any case. Your components look better on a 26" bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    650b
    So now we need a third woman mud wrestling.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Jul 2006
    Oh come on! You just ****ed over my internet persona!!!!

I was mostly kidding in any case. Your components look better on a 26" bike.
    hahaha

you're hardly wrong when you're drinking, it's just easy to tell when you are

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Come on now, if you really kept your bikes that long you wouldn't be looking for a new one now.
    I sell bikes and have biased opinions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surlysoul
    Come on now, if you really kept your bikes that long you wouldn't be looking for a new one now.
    you got a point there. but keeping a bike for 4 years is a pretty long time in my book. once i get a new frame and move worthy the parts over, i will have to do something with the frame left sitting around.
    Ride & Smile

Apr 2007
    For the terrain I ride, 29er suits me better, so that's what I ride.

If I were to go 26, I'd probably go with a Surly 1x1. Almost bought a SC Hooligan (to try 650b) until I found out they're no longer produced. I took it as a sign I need to stay with 29ers.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Keith Bontrager *invented* the light weight 26" 32 hole MTB rim by cutting a section out of a 36 hole 700c road rim and rejoining it.

As long as there are 700c rims, there will always be 26" rims.

mtbr member
    you got a point there. but keeping a bike for 4 years is a pretty long time in my book. once i get a new frame and move worthy the parts over, i will have to do something with the frame left sitting around.
    the new surly 1x1's are super awesome. I was seriously thinking about getting one.
    Ride & Smile

Ovaries on the Outside
    You're officially the first person the forums to quote himself.

mtbr member
    You're officially the first person the forums to quote himself.
    CRAP now look like a fool. I was not paying attention at all. I didn't even have any beer.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    silly question. get both!

mtbr member
    good point
    Ride & Smile

Members who have read this thread: 0