Decided on a custom builder- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Decided on a custom builder

Well, following the SS evolution i find that i have started drooling over custom frames.
    I bought a Khs Solo-one about 3 months ago, changed some stuff on it and ended up selling my 40# Rm-7 xc bike(ha-ha) and a geared hardtail. I still have 1 geared Hardtail left that i am trying to sell also without much luck.
    I really enjoy the ss ( been mtb`ing 20 yrs) more than any other mtb discipline ive ever done and i am also used to high-end frames/bikes and i just don`t think the Khs-Solo-one will be a durable bike( read addiction justification here).
    So ive perused through all the custom builders i could find, Vulture, Vicious,Vanilla,
    Desalvo,Hunter,Waltbikes,Wosack and a couple of others.
    I will order in December for April delivery a black/iridescent purple Rock Lobster and i am working out the geometry details etc now and this is what im thinking.
    70 Head,73 seat,12.5" bb height,27"standover, 16.85" chainstay. I think it will remain rigid using a Surly Instigator fork axel to crown 447mm or i will have Paul build a custom fork with the same a-c length...ahhhh bike addiction

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Lovin the high bb. I would go shorter if possible on the chainstays. And possibly steeper on the seat angle.

I hear ya though. After being an active participant in the glory years of high zoot mountain bikes its just hard to resign yourself to a cheap made in taiwan ss.

mtbr member

ok, thanks for your input , now please..

Expand your opinion.
    My main feature i want to build into the frame is
    #1-stability
    #2- all day ride comfort
    #3-clearance, both bb & top tube
    I was thinking about going a little more slack on the seat angle to 72 and the builder says he does not want to change the chainstay length due to tire clearance. I have gone between thoughts of 16.25-16.85 before talking with him and had decided that i wanted to go with longer chain stays.
    The terrain i ride is rooty,rocky with obstacles that have to be negotiated and the downhills are long( so are the uphills). The one trait i do not want is a twitchy,quick, fast handling frame.
    I do want you to tell me why you would go with your 74 seat tube and shorter stays,your opinion is valuable to me.
    Anyone else`s design input is also appreciated, just tell me why you think what you do.
    thanks.. Thad

Jed Peters
    You will love Paul's work! My wife has a bike in his "cue" waiting to be built as we speak....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thadthetroll
    Expand your opinion.
    My main feature i want to build into the frame is
    #1-stability
    #2- all day ride comfort
    #3-clearance, both bb & top tube
    I was thinking about going a little more slack on the seat angle to 72 and the builder says he does not want to change the chainstay length due to tire clearance. I have gone between thoughts of 16.25-16.85 before talking with him and had decided that i wanted to go with longer chain stays.
    The terrain i ride is rooty,rocky with obstacles that have to be negotiated and the downhills are long( so are the uphills). The one trait i do not want is a twitchy,quick, fast handling frame.
    I do want you to tell me why you would go with your 74 seat tube and shorter stays,your opinion is valuable to me.
    Anyone else`s design input is also appreciated, just tell me why you think what you do.
    thanks.. Thad

Well given your requirements I wouldn't go with the short chainstays or steep seat tube angle...

I am big into vintage mountain bikes and my next bike which will be custom and singlespeed is going to look something like the prototype for the original yeti ultimates only much lighter and with an EBB.

If you want all day comfort I'd look hard at curtlos marathon race bike...
    Just my .04

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm kind of currious why you want alot of BB clearance on a singlespeed. Since you are only going to be running one chainring and of course a bashguard your BB doesn't really need to be that high. I like lower BB personally. They make for really nice handling bikes as long as you can get away with it

mtbr member

cause i hate hitting pedals on stuff and

we have quite a few logs around to get over, and boulder feilds....