Decent SS wheelset for under $500?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Decent SS wheelset for under $500?

I am wondering if someone might recommend a decent SS wheelset for under $500 (preferrably around $300).

I've got a used set of Bontrager Dusters off of a '10 Rig which are nice, but a little narrower than I would like.

Does anyone have any thoughts on inexpensive alternatives? I would prefer a rear hub with a SS freehub, since I've got plenty of SS cassette cogs already and don't want to have to convert to freewheels.

Apr 2007
    Any geared wheelset will do. You just need spacers to run cogs. Will make selling them easier, too. No structural disadvantage due to the dish (compared to SS specific), no matter what them SS homers will tell you.

I'd vote for Stan's Crest or Arch EX, or WTB TCS.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Any geared wheelset will do. You just need spacers to run cogs. Will make selling them easier, too. No structural disadvantage due to the dish (compared to SS specific), no matter what them SS homers will tell you.

I'd vote for Stan's Crest or Arch EX, or WTB TCS.
    Stan's would be my choice. Just choose the rim to match your weight / riding style.

Yeet so hard
    If you are into nice wide rims I would reccomend these:
    VELOCITY P35 WHEELSET | eBay
    The p35 rims laced to XT hubs. I got a pair towards the end of this season and they are SWEET. I run ardent 2.4s on them and it is a super smooth ride even with tubes. Also for $35ish you can get tubeless strips for them and make them lighter and squishier!
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

Apr 2007
    I've seen mixed reviews on XT hubs (mostly bad). Not sure if I'd run those...

miwuksurfer
    Just lace some new rims on your old hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    mikesee can build some bomb @ss sets for $600. shoot him an email

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I've seen mixed reviews on XT hubs (mostly bad). Not sure if I'd run those...
    These would be a better choice, the Rockwerks hubs are Formula cartridge bearing units. They are reliable, just heavy

NEW VELOCITY P35 29ER DISC BRAKE WHEELSET BLK SNGL 18T | eBay

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/r...ub-383719.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    I am wondering if someone might recommend a decent SS wheelset for under $500 (preferrably around $300).

I've got a used set of Bontrager Dusters off of a '10 Rig which are nice, but a little narrower than I would like.

Does anyone have any thoughts on inexpensive alternatives? I would prefer a rear hub with a SS freehub, since I've got plenty of SS cassette cogs already and don't want to have to convert to freewheels.
    Just built an I9/Arch Wheelset from a local wheel builder in N. Texas. Marcus does some great work has some great deals on his website. Below is a link --- he also has a few stock options for under $500.

I'm sure if you call him he can help you figure out a good option based on your budget.

Buy (Disc)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Stans Arch are very very durable especially for the money.

WNC Native
    Funny the guy says his 28mm wide dusters are a little narrow for his likings, half the recommendations are for the same width or more narrow rims.

Your going to have to probably go with used wheels or new custom built for SS and over 28mm (unless you go with the P35 prebuilt wheels).

Are you concerned about weight? As your choices over 28mm are as follows-
    Salsa Semi- 30mm
    Sun Ringle MTX 33 - 33mm
    Velocity P35- 35mm (these are soft, avoid if your a larger rider)
    Salsa Gordo- 35mm
    Kris Holm XC- 38mm
    Kris Holm FR- 48mm
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How about the Sun Ringle Chargers going for dirt cheap at CRC. After coupon it's around $250 for the 15mm/20mm or $226 for the QR. shipped free to US no tax. Check out the deals forum since I can't post a link yet.

I was eyeing a Crest or Arch set, but I couldn't pass up this deal for about half the cost even if they're slightly heavier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    How about the Sun Ringle Chargers going for dirt cheap at CRC. After coupon it's around $250 for the 15mm/20mm or $226 for the QR. shipped free to US no tax. Check out the deals forum since I can't post a link yet.

I was eyeing a Crest or Arch set, but I couldn't pass up this deal for about half the cost even if they're slightly heavier.
    Those Chargers that CRC is blowing out are probably the best deal going right now. They even come with valves, tape, and Stans sealant. Reviews look promising as well.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Those Chargers that CRC is blowing out are probably the best deal going right now. They even come with valves, tape, and Stans sealant. Reviews look promising as well.
    yep, can't wait till they arrive!

Cormac
    stans ztr arch are great! Another idea would to walk into your local shop and ask them the same question! they might have something there at the shop to sell you also.
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

Sweep the leg!
    I've been using Sun Ringle products for a few years but I'm a bit fuzzy on the retail pricing since I had a hook-up from Sun. I googled the Chargers and found them closer to your desired pricing...
    NEW Sun Ringle 29" Charger Expert Disc Wheelset 20mm F 12X142 R Stans Tubeless on eBay!
    I've been using the Dirty Flea hubs on the Ferrous without issue.

The Bontrager products are nice and equally cheap to me, but I think the SR products are nicer.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.