Dean's new mod dropouts??- Mtbr.com
    75% Mountain cycle

Dean's new mod dropouts??

Anyone have an experience with Dean's version of adjustable dropouts? Are they better than an EBB?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Thoes are Paragon dropouts. I have them on my SS and have had zero problems. Check it out. http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Bite Me.
    Those droputs are produced by Paragon = http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/

They seem like the solution for those who don't like EBBs (count me in) but want to run rear discs (count me out). A little industrial looking for my tastes, but it seems like an idea that will work.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    Thoes are Paragon dropouts. I have them on my SS and have had zero problems. Check it out. http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/
    There's an echo in here
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Known Mountainbiker

Paragon..paragon.......paragon...........paragon

Mods work great and you don't have to carry an extra tool in your pack as with some EBBs.

Also with the EBB, the frame design may limit rear tire size.

Mods with rim brakes don't work so well but with disc; the caliper slides with wheel.

Stock EBB frames weight more than those with mods.

my .02 cents

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Mods work great and you don't have to carry an extra tool in your pack as with some EBBs.

Mods with rim brakes don't work so well but with disc; the caliper slides with wheel.

my .02 cents

Caz

EBB results in a nice clean look, without the complicated dropout design employed by Paragon.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Goes to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    EBB results in a nice clean look, without the complicated dropout design employed by Paragon.
    Actually, I think it looks OK
    (I just got my dean.. i'll post some pictures and a short report later on)
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

beginner here

will those work with any horizontal drop out frame? I have a redline monocog

Keep on Rockin...

Can someone please explain to me...

how those little bolts, which essentially hold the rear wheel to the frame, have enough clamping force to get the job done. It must work as I've seen plenty of posts saying how well they function. Wouldn't it appear that the first time someone dug the rear end of the bike into a hard corner those bolts would just go pop? I'm not trying to be antagonistic. I'm just looking for some clarification.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Well, not only do they have 2 bolts on each side holding them in place, the also have a bolt in front so the dropout can't slide forward. The way the wheel bolts to the dropout, and how the dropout slides on a track, I bet it is actually a little bit over kill.

Category Winner
    Extra tool? I carry a 4mm allen. That's all I need. Looks like a small crescent wrench would be needed for the Pragon drops. Plus six bolts as opposed to two.

True, from what I've been told.

If I was going canti's I'd probably just get horizontal drops. I do realize the brakes won't always line up, but it is the simplest way.

From Walt's blog:

"I just got a set in from Mark at Paragon. Here are my initial impressions:

-They are heavy. We weighed a complete setup for both EBB (eccentric, shell, disc mount, breezer dropouts, disc crossbrace) and the Paragon sliders (dropouts, hardware, normal BB shell) and found that the difference was pretty minimal - 411 grams for the Paragon setup, 440 grams for the EBB. I kept hearing reports about how much lighter than an EBB this would end up being, but it looks like that's not really the case here. 30 grams, or about 1 ounce.
    -For some riders, it will be nice not to need to move the eccentric when changing gears, since the eccentric changes the relationship of the BB to the saddle/bars/etc. I think the range of movement we're talking about is pretty minimal, though - 8-10mm, at most. So I'm not totally convinced on that point.

So the bottom line is that I haven't decided whether these are worth pursuing or not."

Notice he included a disc brake cross brace to the rear end. Not all frame builders use it, so it would probably make it an even swap.

I have thought about going to sliding drops on my next frame, but I swap gears often. EBB's are dead simple and only require two bolts (loosed/tighten). The bolts thread into ti or steel (I guess ocassionally aluminum), so hamfisted mechanics would have a harder time stripping them out.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Custom User Title
    they look like the slideable versions on the Kona unit and Explosif, but with the added security of the extra bolt to stop iit sliding forward. Someone in my LBS said Kona stuff was a bit too "industrial".
    I for one like that sort of thing - like with most singlesppeds, there is an element of the homebrew about it and that should be embraced IMHO.
    That said, these things look nicely made and perfect for those people (like me) who want to run rear discs.

p.s. i love that blue explosif frame!

Members who have read this thread: 0