Dashine - Chinese carbon SingleSpeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Dashine - Chinese carbon SingleSpeed

Dashine - Chinese carbon SingleSpeed-ss1.jpgDashine - Chinese carbon SingleSpeed-ss2.jpg
    Dashine - Chinese carbon SingleSpeed-ss3.jpg

Have been running this PR killer for the last 6 months, and loving it - despite a few niggles I've had to fix on it.

Frame is from Dashinbike on AliExpress. Cost $305 delivered to Aus. It has fairly short 435mm Stays and steep 71 HTA, which is perfect for my tight and twistly (not particulary steep) trails.

Running a cheap Origin8 EBB PF30. Was a bit worried about running this in a Carbon shell. Though the shell is a good thickness. The EBB has fairly skinny through bolts, and I was getting some creaking and slippage. I fixed this by applying silicone sealant to the cups. Despide these issues I've never dropped a chain - which I think is down to the stiff carbon BB. (as a reference my Scandal SS used to drop the chain every 4 - 5 rides.)

The bearings are Enduro, but I think they must be standard steel bearings. I had to service one side when it seized after a wet ride. I plan to swap them out for some angular contact bearings.

Unfortunately I had to take the Jeff Jones modded XTR M960 cranks off, as i've now gone to 170mm cranks, so these were too long. Now running LX until I can find something nicer.

Forks are SIDs, wheels are chris king on Crests. Saddle and post are Merek Carbon off eBay.

Running either Rotor Q-ring or Doval chainring at 34:22. I had to lower my gear ratio after switching from 175mm to 170mm cranks. ( I used Sheldon browns 'Gain Ratio' calculator to work this out).

This is by far the fastest bike I've owned. Comes in at 8.5KG
    Lapierre XR29ei, Chris King LB Carbon, XTR 1 X 10
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Very nice!

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    I can't find the seller online, can you provide a link? I've been looking for a new lightweight toy SS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This is the frame I got:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016...546313850.html

But seems they're not on AliExpress anymore. Funny, I thought they would be a good place to buy from, since they'd been on AliExpress for over 3 yrs.

This is the same frame though:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/142x...9-d15c976f052e

I guess a lot of these places on AliExpress are just onsellers for a factory. A lot of them don't seem to be in business for very long.

Prior to getting this frame, I purchased this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-...9-d15c976f052e

Lots of people have bought these on the chinertown forum and are loving them. However they supplied it to me with some BB92 adaptors glued into the PF30 shell, so it was useless to me since I needed to run an EBB. Took me over a month to get a refund out of them.

Both mine and the Workswell looked to be very good quality.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Awesome, thanks dude, $300 bucks is too good to pass up even if it only lasts a season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeh thats what I figured too. I have a few freinds with iplay / xmcarbonspeed frames, that are now a few years old, but these were about twice the price of my frame, and they don't have any with the geometry that I wanted.

If you order one, just make sure you get the BB shell you need, with nothing glued in. In hindsight, i'd have gone with a BB30, as there's no way they'd have glued an adaptor into one of them.
    The people you deal with, don't really seem to know much about bikes - and had no idea waht an EBB was.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Soooo, whatcha gonna do with that crankset?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    What is your honest opinion on the frame construction? I had a few of the Chinese carbon fat bike frames come through the bike shop I used to work at, and they were a nightmare. Tolerances were awful nothing seemed to fit properly...

I have heard people say they purchased them and were completely satisfied, but I always wondered if they were just stoked on the price and were able to overlook the flaws based on the fact that they only had to pay $300 for a carbon frame.

mtbr member
    I'm going to guess it's hit or miss since QC is probably minimal. As in, does it look like a bike?

I just put together a Chinese carbon frame and while there were some flaws, it wasn't that big of deal since I knew what i was getting into. Now, if those flaws were in a Niner carbon frame that cost me $1500, I'd be pissed. But I only spent $250 shipped. They included a headset and seat clamp. Both are really cheap but functional and saved me from having to buy them.

Flaws were:
    1) Tight lower headset for the cup to fit, took a bit of light tapping with a rubber mallet to get the bearing set in.
    2) Had to pull a bit of paint off in the hanger area to get the rear wheel to fit the wheel completely in the drop outs. Just used needle nose pliers and snapped it off.
    3) Seatpost clamping area is a bit ghetto but the clamp covers most of it.

That's pretty much it for my bike. Not bad for me just wanting to see what a CF mountain bike rides like on the cheap.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    I'm going to guess it's hit or miss since QC is probably minimal. As in, does it look like a bike?

I just put together a Chinese carbon frame and while there were some flaws, it wasn't that big of deal since I knew what i was getting into. Now, if those flaws were in a Niner carbon frame that cost me $1500, I'd be pissed. But I only spent $250 shipped. They included a headset and seat clamp. Both are really cheap but functional and saved me from having to buy them.

Flaws were:
    1) Tight lower headset for the cup to fit, took a bit of light tapping with a rubber mallet to get the bearing set in.
    2) Had to pull a bit of paint off in the hanger area to get the rear wheel to fit the wheel completely in the drop outs. Just used needle nose pliers and snapped it off.
    3) Seatpost clamping area is a bit ghetto but the clamp covers most of it.

That's pretty much it for my bike. Not bad for me just wanting to see what a CF mountain bike rides like on the cheap.
    Sounds like a lot of the issues I ran into while trying to work on the fat bike frames. Rear dropout spacing was way too tight, chainline was goofy, etc. I only worked on them and was just curious if it affected the ride at all. With the goof ups in stuff like dropout spacing, I had assumed there would be some wonky geo issues as well.

mtbr member
    My dropouts were fine, it was just a bit of paint sticking on frame so I had to break it off to get the hanger in actually. Spacing is fine.

It rides great. Climbs like a goat. Actually killed my legs and lungs on the first climb since it felt so easy.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Soooo, whatcha gonna do with that crankset?
    Ha. I'm gutted that I can't use it anymore. It still needs to be polished, but I got it converted to take a 104 ring, so its a bit special.

Will probably see if a freind wants it. I'm in Aus, so shipping to the US would be expensive.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    Sounds like a lot of the issues I ran into while trying to work on the fat bike frames. Rear dropout spacing was way too tight, chainline was goofy, etc. I only worked on them and was just curious if it affected the ride at all. With the goof ups in stuff like dropout spacing, I had assumed there would be some wonky geo issues as well.
    Like Joshan said, and as you've experienced, you always seems to have afew issues. Aside from the first company gluing in the BB adaptors. The PF30 on mine seemed a little tight for me to adjust the EBB, so I sanded it out a bit (prob went a bit too far, whis is why I need silicone sealant)
    It was also a stuff around for me to fit my Chris king SS rear hub with fun bolts, as the frame had a hole, rather that a slot at the rear dropout, and I couldn't push the 12mm thread through the 135 QR dropout. I did get it working, but I think getting a 142 axle would be a better solution for me.

I'd say you need a fair bit of technical know how to niggle out the issues, but I was happy to do this, and to be honest other frames have given me many more headaches than this frame has.

As far as ride quality goes, this frame is outstanding, I've even considered getting another to replace my race XC geared bike (currently a Planet X Dirty harry).
    I've previously owned Niner, Scott, Orbea, Specialized and On-One. None of them rode better than this frame.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcbarny View Post
    Ha. I'm gutted that I can't use it anymore. It still needs to be polished, but I got it converted to take a 104 ring, so its a bit special.

Will probably see if a freind wants it. I'm in Aus, so shipping to the US would be expensive.
    Keep us updated. LOL.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes