FTM

the darkside just got darker

After testing out this off road single speed thing for a while using an old derailler I decided to ENOfy my Bontrager. At the same time as ordering the hub I ordered a nice new 18t ENO freewheel along with some ENO cranks.

Just before putting the wheel on my bike I decided to throw on one of my spare 17t track cogs. Somehow the fixed side got hooked up to the chain - I've been riding fixed on my road bikes on and off for 20 years - so what the hell, a quick spin on the fire roads should be fun. Climbing was the same as expected - standing and mashing. Downhill, however, scary as hell but oh so fun! Ok, I'll use fixed for the easy stuff and the freewheel for the more technical stuff... I've only used the ENO freewheel once in since I got it a month ago, and that was just to see what it was like. It was fine but...

Well, this morning after riding El Prieto smoother fixed that I had ever ridden it before (even with a F/S geared bike) I took off my rear brake. I don't like using it for fixed riding and the rear brakes make an annoying rubbing sound after gritty stream crossings. I'll keep the freewheel on my hub for a little while longer (don't have the proper tool to remove it) but I can't see me going back - it's too much fun over here on the darkside.

My wife wants to know what I'm going to remove from my bike next. She's guessing offroad unicycle.

mtbr member

good choice of frame

Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    After testing out this off road single speed thing for a while using an old derailler I decided to ENOfy my Bontrager. At the same time as ordering the hub I ordered a nice new 18t ENO freewheel along with some ENO cranks.
    You've chosen well...Bonti + ENO....mmmmmm

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Here ya go!

Dirt Uni
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Mtn Biker Machinist

Uni story

I met a guy on the trail a couple weeks ago on a mountain unicycle, running a 24X3" tire, I thought I was crazy, but that takes balls! He thought it was cool that I rode SS, I just felt like a weenie when I saw his rig! Impressive!

mtbr member

oh yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    I met a guy on the trail a couple weeks ago on a mountain unicycle, running a 24X3" tire, I thought I was crazy, but that takes balls! He thought it was cool that I rode SS, I just felt like a weenie when I saw his rig! Impressive!
    One time, in bancamp, I saw this one cat riding a Klein, and he rode around and kicked ass.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog
    I just felt like a weenie when I saw his rig! Impressive!
    I do not get this. Why is this impressive? It's like going hiking with stilts on. It's sorta hard I guess but fu**ing stupid really. When is this forum just gonna forgo all this one-up "Oh dude I ride fixed with NO brakes" crap and just strap the friggin bike to your back and walk around with it, or better yet just bolt wheels to your shoes, that's "impressive", whatever.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member

ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I do not get this. Why is this impressive? It's like going hiking with stilts on. It's sorta hard I guess but fu**ing stupid really. When is this forum just gonna forgo all this one-up "Oh dude I ride fixed with NO brakes" crap and just strap the friggin bike to your back and walk around with it, or better yet just bolt wheels to your shoes, that's "impressive", whatever.
    you my friend, probably suffer from a condition known as "Vaginal Sand"

mtbr member

Yellow AIDS

Quote Originally Posted by travistheone
    or panties in a bunchitis, not a quick cure either, im afraid you are in bad shape my friend.
    Or plain Yellow AIDS. Yes, Yellow AIDS. From what I hear, it is far worse than the standards AIDS. Makes people itchy and cranky, as if they had vaginal sand. Or something.

Impressive are people who ride. Who cares if they ride a pipe with some cranks strapped to a wheel...a Unicycle.

Impressive when my daughter can ride a trike.

Impressive those HBFKs who do ride bikes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hobbes to Calvin after a particularly flamin rant "Somebody needs to stick their head in a bucket of cold water."

King Pin

Cool-blue Rhythm Yep

Expressing joy in one's discovery of different forms of cycling and just pure enjoyment of these findings should not be discussed nor presented in these here forums.

It's just plain fu**ing stupid really to go beyond the norm!

"Whatever"?? Now that crosses the line.

"Hiking with stilts"??? Damn...that intrigues me! Has anyone tried that??? The ability to easily step over boulders and such?

Offroad UNI riders have my utmost respect....them dudes and dudettes are just plain nuts and very very talented the same!

Why not diversify?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by travistheone
    or panties in a bunchitis, not a quick cure either, im afraid you are in bad shape my friend.
    Say what you want, you know I'm right.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Expressing joy in one's discovery of different forms of cycling and just pure enjoyment of these findings should not be discussed nor presented in these here forums.
    Because riding fixed gear offroad with one brake is not about enjoying riding the bike it's about posting on this website to brag about doing it. It's about losing site of actually enjoying the ride and focusing on the equipment and what people will think about you when you ride it. You know what got me going on this was doing a group ride a few weeks ago with a guy on a fixed gear (didn't know him) and all he could talk about was the fact he was riding a fixed gear, alright already, we know. And then he ends up pushing the thing everywhere, what?
    "Do not touch the trim"

34N 118W

boast post

Because riding fixed gear offroad with one brake is not about enjoying riding the bike
    That's a pretty broad statement you make. It is to some people. I have a fixie project in mind. Not because I want to brag about it, but because I like new challenges. And I'd be fcuking stoked to pedal it around all by myself.

it's about posting on this website to brag about doing it. It's about losing site of actually enjoying the ride and focusing on the equipment and what people will think about you when you ride it.
    you forgot two important words in there: "To me..."

You know what got me going on this was doing a group ride a few weeks ago with a guy on a fixed gear (didn't know him) and all he could talk about was the fact he was riding a fixed gear, alright already, we know. And then he ends up pushing the thing everywhere, what?
    Sounds like one bad apple. How about Francis riding with Randy in Fruita. Did you read his recap of not realizing the guy was riding fixed until someone told him? Rudi in AZ tears it up fixie and doesn't boast about it. Matt Chester? Calvin Mulder? XRMATTAZ? These guys would rip the quads off of most of us and smile the entire time, never saying a word until "great ride!" at the end.

Follow your curiosity and don't listen to the braggarts...they'll drop away eventually.

HW

FTM
    Because riding fixed gear offroad with one brake is not about enjoying riding the bike it's about posting on this website to brag about doing it. It's about losing site of actually enjoying the ride and focusing on the equipment and what people will think about you when you ride it. You know what got me going on this was doing a group ride a few weeks ago with a guy on a fixed gear (didn't know him) and all he could talk about was the fact he was riding a fixed gear, alright already, we know. And then he ends up pushing the thing everywhere, what?
    How do you know what I do and don't enjoy? I happen to enjoy riding fixed gear on road and off. If I was worried about what people thought of me and my bike I wouldn't ride solo at 6am everyday where I see one guy and his two dogs on a regular basis. He barely says hi to me and I doubt he would bat an eye if I were only wearing a tutu. Gotta talk to my secretary about re-scheduling my rides for a more poser friendly time.

If you want to take your group ride frustrations out on somebody that's fine, I'm up for it but understand that a rear brake on a fixed gear is not only unneccessary but just causes the rear wheel to lock up and skid way too easily.

Your's truely,
    the one-brake-fixed-gear-poser

No Justice = No Peace

I'll be trying the fixed side soon

Post a picture. I also ride a Bontrager race, SS. I have a SID Race fork in the Bontrager Crown, Eno Hub, Race Face 180 Cranks, (34/20 gearing) XT V-Brakes, Avid SD Ti Levers, WTB SST saddle......

I'll post a picture sooner or later, Let's see yours.

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutarious
    Post a picture. I also ride a Bontrager race, SS. I have a SID Race fork in the Bontrager Crown, Eno Hub, Race Face 180 Cranks, (34/20 gearing) XT V-Brakes, Avid SD Ti Levers, WTB SST saddle......

I'll post a picture sooner or later, Let's see yours.
    would posting a picture be considered bragging?
    Oh well... this was taken a few weeks ago - before I did the unthinkable and removed my rear brake.
    Race Light, White Bros .8xc fork, Eno hub rear, CK front, Eno cranks (32/17 gearing), Avid Mech front with Avid SD Ti Lever ...

If you are interested in trying fixed here's a couple of tips that I've learned through trial and error over the past month:
    Rear brake - been discussed already
    Seat - tilt it up slightly (Matt Chester's advice and it's good)
    Downhill - always actively pedal even while braking. If you just let your legs get pulled around you'll feel out of control and will end up riding much slower and rougher. By actively pedaling you will not have as much of your weight on the saddle and will be able to float over some of the rough stuff much better.
    Wrists - will probably hurt quite a bit for the first few weeks while going downhill. As you get used to floating while pedaling this will ease up a lot of the stress on your arms.

of course take my advice/tips in the spirit in which they are intended. braggadocio

Anytime. Anywhere.

Fixed

I've been riding fixed mtb for a little while and it makes the tame trails here in the city a lot more fun. I think I'll throw the rear brake back on just to give my left hand something to do. You get a lot of funny looks here when you show up for a club ride with a rigid fork, never mind a SS or fixie. Most people don't get it but woul benifit greatly from the lessons in momentum that it teaches you.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    You know, that is a funny thing. Most people don't get it. But, that is just it! I have been in arguments where I was told that I am trying to tell him he does not need gears, when in fact it was more like telling me I do need gears. I keep getting told about how it can't be fun and I have to walk everything. blah blah blah.

I still have not found out a way to tell them that I can ride a lot more stuff than they think and when I do walk, I can walk just as fast as them spinning in granny. The difference is I don't need all of the travel and gears, my ss makes me smile everytime I ride it.

Is that not how it is supposed to be? We are supposed to have fun right? Oh, I forgot that I can't be cool enough if I don't have all of the fancy new stuff. And yes, you can go faster than be because you can top out a 44x16 going down hill! Most hills like that I have found that gravity gets me going fast enough to have a good time.

Ignore the troll

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How do you know what I do and don't enjoy? I happen to enjoy riding fixed gear on road and off.
    Yep...it's a different philosophy. On the road, I prefer fixed without brakes. Is it as safe as with brakes? Probably not, but my riding style is completely different (and more aware) because of it. I commend anybody for riding fixed MTB...at my skill level off-road, it's not my first choice; but for somebody with the skill, it would be a blast.

For the haters, here's an analogy: multi-speed bikes: fixed gears :: checkers:chess

Hey, both games (bikes) can be fun, but it takes a person with a different philosophy, mindset, strategy, and appreciation of the rules to play chess well (same for fixed, especially offroad). It's not everybody's game, and if it isn't yours, don't bag on it.

Cheers FTM

Needed Less ~ Did More

1" Steerer Bontrager?

Fixie riding is great...even if I can't keep up with Rudi and MC!

Is your Bonty a 1" head tube? My GF has a Race (1996-ish) and I have been searching for a good 1" steerer fork. Marzocchi are and Magura in the UK are a nightmare to deal with (and I'm in the trade!)

Were your White Bros a one-off or is it an option? and Becca loves the colour!

Later

Alex

would posting a picture be considered bragging?
    Oh well... this was taken a few weeks ago - before I did the unthinkable and removed my rear brake.
    Race Light, White Bros .8xc fork, Eno hub rear, CK front, Eno cranks (32/17 gearing), Avid Mech front with Avid SD Ti Lever ...

If you are interested in trying fixed here's a couple of tips that I've learned through trial and error over the past month:
    Rear brake - been discussed already
    Seat - tilt it up slightly (Matt Chester's advice and it's good)
    Downhill - always actively pedal even while braking. If you just let your legs get pulled around you'll feel out of control and will end up riding much slower and rougher. By actively pedaling you will not have as much of your weight on the saddle and will be able to float over some of the rough stuff much better.
    Wrists - will probably hurt quite a bit for the first few weeks while going downhill. As you get used to floating while pedaling this will ease up a lot of the stress on your arms.

of course take my advice/tips in the spirit in which they are intended. braggadocio
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member

Fixed & Tutu

Originally posted by Hollywood

Rudi in AZ tears it up fixie and doesn't boast about it.

Originally posted by FTM

How do you know what I do and don't enjoy? I happen to enjoy riding fixed gear on road and off. If I was worried about what people thought of me and my bike I wouldn't ride solo at 6am everyday where I see one guy and his two dogs on a regular basis. He barely says hi to me and I doubt he would bat an eye if I were only wearing a tutu

I guess this photo links those two quotes above.

It's Rudi Nadler riding over in England last year in the Sleepless In The Saddle 24hr. He finished 9th in the solo class riding fixed. I was also riding solo and saw him out on the track a number of times and was blown away by his riding skills.

He was awesome both up and down the hills and there was no way he was riding that bike for attention. Pity about his "dress" sense though

Needed Less ~ Did More

Rudi rocks!

He pushed me in to 2nd place in the "fixie solo nutters" class :-)

Same frame, same gear, so it must be the tu-tu. Where is there a ballet shop open at this time in Birmingham?

SSP

Quote Originally Posted by OllyW

I guess this photo links those two quotes above.

It's Rudi Nadler riding over in England last year in the Sleepless In The Saddle 24hr. He finished 9th in the solo class riding fixed. I was also riding solo and saw him out on the track a number of times and was blown away by his riding skills.

He was awesome both up and down the hills and there was no way he was riding that bike for attention. Pity about his "dress" sense though
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -

mtbr member

SSP also rocks (but not quite as much)

He pushed me in to 2nd place in the "fixie solo nutters" class :-)

That was 2nd place out of 2 runners wasn't it

Needed Less ~ Did More

My best placing yet!

Quote Originally Posted by OllyW
    That was 2nd place out of 2 runners wasn't it
    Got first in the "people called Alex Baker" race :-) Was a good race and I loved the course (but not at 2am!)

Alex
    -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    Got first in the "people called Alex Baker" race :-) Was a good race and I loved the course (but not at 2am!)

Alex
    I also had that 2am feeling!!!!

Pity about the mutant donkey monkees this year.

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well Rutrho!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HW,

Rudi will be at my house in four hours, if he reads this, I am in deep deep kimchi!

Putting my name in the same list as Matt C., Rudi et al is just plain BLASPHEMOUS! I am just a poseur compared to those guys, and only ride my fixie(s) alone....I can't keep up otherwise!

Rudi is a fun little lad! And he doesn't eat too much. hee.

I absolutely cannot wait to lay hands on his Chester.....there goes the vacation money!

Sounds like one bad apple. How about Francis riding with Randy in Fruita. Did you read his recap of not realizing the guy was riding fixed until someone told him? Rudi in AZ tears it up fixie and doesn't boast about it. Matt Chester? Calvin Mulder? XRMATTAZ? These guys would rip the quads off of most of us and smile the entire time, never saying a word until "great ride!" at the end.

HW[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 05-13-2005 at 04:40 PM.

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    Fixie riding is great...even if I can't keep up with Rudi and MC!

Is your Bonty a 1" head tube? My GF has a Race (1996-ish) and I have been searching for a good 1" steerer fork. Marzocchi are ��� and Magura in the UK are a nightmare to deal with (and I'm in the trade!)

Were your White Bros a one-off or is it an option? and Becca loves the colour!

Later

Alex
    My Bonty does have a 1" headtube. The WB for is sort of an option (you have to ask), they only charged me an extra $40 or so to build one with a 1" steer tube and I had to wait for their next production run which turned out to be 2 weeks. Love the fork.

As to the color... this bike was originally a birthday gift I built up for my wife as a surprise. Turnes out she wanted a road bike instead so... I de-commisioned my FS bike and kept this one. We both got what we wanted and the pink makes me feel pretty!

Rudi was who I was thinking about when I made the tutu comment. Nice guy, met him at Vision Quest.

~Geoff