The Dark Side- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Dark Side

mtbr member
    May 2010

The Dark Side

So up until 6 months ago I was a staunch single speeder, I would revel in the "grind it!" calls from other riders when passing them up hill on my beloved Kona Unit, dream about day long rides in the hills just kicking along in one gear with just the sound of the wind in my helmet.

Then something happened, working in a bike shop I picked up a BMC Supertrail for cheap (relatively), from no suspension to 160mm, no gears to 9! (1x9=boss) and spent the next 6 months re-riding the same trails I would on the ss with new vigour, hitting up every little jump I could find and ploughing through everything in sight like an ex motorcross rider should.

I had joined 'The Dark Side'

Being sat in the corner like a forgotten child the tyres on the Kona went flat and it got covered in a layer of dust, in hearing it's cries of despair I decided to make it my out and out cross country bike so I bought a ea70 finishing kit and some foam grips.

Here lies the problem, I went for a ride and had to um.... er.... PUSH it up some hills, push, like a green ss'r all over again, push I tells ye. At the end of the day my legs were ruined, my bum close to ruined and my wrists were beaten to a pulp, I have lost the ss legs and pain threshold because of my dirty affair with the BMC.

I've now seen the way though, the ss is going to be ridden regularly again and the BMC saved for some gravity action on trips away.

So, has anyone else made a trip to the dark side?

REhagor

Low Rep Count
    Nope! Too cheap to spend money on an affair that won't last! Sounds like you were thinking the grass was greener on the other side! I will learn from what I was told along time ago. The grass is greener where you water it!

Get back out there and get back in shape. Nothing wrong with playing on both bikes but you can lose your SS legs really quick.

Apr 2007
    Been through that. Especially on the road bike. Gears can make you soft.

Out spokin'
    It doesn't have to be the dark side. Last year I completed a 100 mile race that included 16,000' of elevation gain. While I didn't train exclusively on my 1x8 hardtail, I did 85% of my training on it. (I contested the event aboard a 1x8 FS sled.)

So I say no, gears don't have to be a death sentence.

--sParty

P.S. I've been back to exclusive SS since Nov. 1st... it's all good, IMO.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Been through that. Especially on the road bike. Gears can make you soft.
    gears make you faster if you have the discipline. I trained on a geared bike when i was racing and it definitely helped.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    gears make you faster if you have the discipline. I trained on a geared bike when i was racing and it definitely helped.
    I should've added "if you're mentally weak." I just find it too tempting to hit that gear down lever.

mtbr member
    Yup tried a new 30 speed (why does anyone need 30 gears?!) XT group set on my P7 and almost lasted two weeks. Hated it and took the gears back off last week, I'm loving my bike again and have a FS on order to hang my gears on for the longer rides with the geared masses...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Just because you have gears, doesn't mean you have to use them. When I switch to the FS (2x9) I usually end up in one gear of a close ratio to the SS. It is a miracle if I remember to shift at all.
    this space left intentionally blank

Dive Bomber
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    Just because you have gears, doesn't mean you have to use them. When I switch to the FS (2x9) I usually end up in one gear of a close ratio to the SS. It is a miracle if I remember to shift at all.
    So true.

I ride gears with the purpose for sitting on climb but I always end up standing and hammering LOL.

I need gears because now I have friends to ride with, on uphill I am far in front of them while on downhill I am far behind them so I need gears for balance.

Today I rode uphill with my friends they're using 27 speed MTB while I ride my 16" folding bike SS 36x18 and I am far leading.

I've just start riding 7 months ago for I have vacuum for 10 years.

I am grateful that I start riding again with SS not gears.

Members who have read this thread: 0