Dark Horse 40- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dark Horse 40

Gigantic Hawk

Good job! Dark Horse 40

The Dark Horse 40 is this Sunday. I know a handful of you cats were in the Singlespeed-A-Palooza. Are any of you racing this Sunday? RussoJ and myself will be making the trip down from Maine to ride and drink beer. Looking forward to an awesome race, and hopefully, seeing some familiar faces.

achiever
    I'll be there. Green On One Scandal with red wheels and I'll be wearing a red, white & blue Victory Brewing jersey.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ill be there on my GF rig....gonna see how close i can get to 4 hrs. last year my CF seatpost snapped at mile 2 and i rode the rest of the 38 with my seat about 4-5 inches too low...this year my seatpost is aluminum

achiever
    I think I'm going to be geared a bit low. I'm probably running 34/21 (my freewheel is stuck on) or I may borrow a wheel (non SS) with an 18T and run 32/18.

I ran 34/21 at SSAP which worked out pretty well but it looks like there is less elevation change for the DH40 (no major mikes climb which really isn't much of a climb anyway).

I'll probably stick with 34/21 due to the length of the race but I don't want to spun out on the flats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    im going to have 34:20, last year i ran 32:18, its plenty doable..but the bigger cog will be a bit nicer near the end of lap 2

Gigantic Hawk
    @RedWarrior, I remember you from the SS-A-P. You rock the red Blunts. I was quite impressed with how strong you came on towards the end of the race.

I'll be running 32x18 on my blue GT with its orange Blunts. I've been riding/training a ton this summer so I'm hoping for a good finish. A good finish in my book is no cramping, no injuries, plenty of jumping, and meeting good people.

Gigantic Hawk
    The DH40 was a blast. You all missed out on a great race put on by a great group of people.

Teen Wolf
    ok dubthang

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang
    The DH40 was a blast. You all missed out on a great race put on by a great group of people.

Right on! Good to meet you. Did you get lei'd twice? I was on the verge of puking the second time around so I passed it up... next year I'll plan better and get two.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    Right on! Good to meet you. Did you get lei'd twice? I was on the verge of puking the second time around so I passed it up... next year I'll plan better and get two.
    I had two PBR's, but I only got one lei (they ran out.) The second one was great as it gave me a chance to relax a bit since my legs were cramping pretty badly. I felt like I had energy for days, but I just couldn't keep my legs from cramping, oh well. I hope to have the cramps thing under control for next year's race, and I am hoping that we will have a bigger posse from Maine going with us. Gotta represent the most north eastern state.

achiever
    I used to cramp really bad at around 20 miles. I try to start hydrating the day before something big now. I also started using NUUN tablets on a recommendation from a neighbor... they seem to work well. Motrin is supposed to help, too.

I ade the mistake of drinking some Hammer Perpetuum that a friend gave me... it made me feel horrible. It filled me way up and made me feel lousy. I really could have used another one of those ice cold PBR's. Next time for sure.

Gigantic Hawk
    ^^^^
    Thanks for the tips. Generally the day before involves little sleep, and a handful of beers. This system seems to work great for 20 milers, but anything longer makes my legs crap out. Perhaps I'll have to swap a few beers out for water. I will have to try the NUUN tablets. I%

Members who have read this thread: 0