Damn you, SS board...I'm officially addicted. (long)- Mtbr.com
    Penis Goat!

Damn you, SS board...I'm officially addicted. (long)

Well, it's happened. I've tried to deny and resist, but I'm thinking of going SS on my geared HardRock. I remember when I only looked at General and Passion, then wandered over here to see what SS'ing was all about...that was the first mistake. The second was the purchase of my '84 Mongoose from a friend, which made a perfect SS candidate with its horizontal dropouts. I finished my restoration of the bike, and shelled out ~$50 for a new chainring, a few cogs, and a couple of chains, and I entered the fray.

I mostly ride the bike on campus, and hadn't gotten around to riding it offroad much...except for one soupy ride in some shitty, half-bald Specialized Ground Controls (the newer tread, not the classic ones I hear much about). The heckling from Fast Freddy and MellowCat encouraged me to try it again, and my off road ride on the MongooSSe yesterday finally pushed me over the edge.

I was sitting in class yesterday, staring out the window and debating which bike to take...the gearie, or give the MongooSSe its first REAL trail ride, after its conversion and new IRC Mythos XC tires? I went with the 'GooSSe, and didn't regret a second.

I started out on the easy little 1-mile trail to get started and get a feel for it, and didn't have a problem. So I turned around and came back, went under the bridge and through the little creek, and set my sights on the short (but steep and technical) hill I normally start out with...and normally don't get until the third or so try on my geared HardRock.

To my amazement, it was the smoothest ascent ever...it was like buttah. I almost lost momentum at the top, but kept it going. It was even easier the second and third time, I was grinning like an idiot. The other iffy parts on the trail, a log and three creek crossings, also went without a hitch. The hills gave me no trouble either...it was the most fun I've had on that trail.

Too bad I just purchased a new 8-speed cassette and chain, and a front derailleur...the new LX crankset and BB are needed, though. I figure I'll get a non-ramped 34t ring for the cranks to go with the 18t cog I have sitting around, and perhaps sell the chainrings to offset the cost. I'll go with a Singleator if there's no 'magic ratio' with my chainstays. Hm, I'll save even more weight than I was planning on...

I figure I'll give the 'GooSSe a try on a more difficult trail before I make a final decision, but I think it's bound to happen. I rode the HardRock a little today, and didn't really gain much from shifting....and I hate it when it comes time to clean the drivetrain.

So, if anyone might be interested in a new Deore front derailleur (top or bottom pull, bottom swing), SRAM 5.0 8-speed cassette, SRAM PC-58 chain, let me know. I might add a set of 22/32/44 chainrings to that list, we'll see. If I sell anything to anyone on here, I'll make sure to put up a dummy classifieds add to give MTBR their part.

I hope you all are happy, you've brainwashed another member into the club.

Brian

PS: I ran into another MTBR member on the trail, whose handle I don't know. He's the one who first let me know about the trail a couple of years back, after posting on General asking for some local trails. He remembered my 'GooSSe from posting on here, so we had a couple of nice trailside discussions. It was nice to meet you in person, Dr. Gottlob, I hope you can make it out to a group ride with some of us in the coming months.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GirchyGirchy; 03-26-2004 at 05:03 PM. Reason: added a hello!

mtbr member

Well its about time....

you rode some dirt on your SS!

Glad to see you had fun, the trails around us are great for SS.

If you need a Surly Singulator I have one I could part with.

Let me know if your coming next weekend to the SpokeJunkies ride.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Well, it's happened. I've tried to deny and resist, but I'm thinking of going SS on my geared HardRock. I remember when I only looked at General and Passion, then wandered over here to see what SS'ing was all about...that was the first mistake. The second was the purchase of my '84 Mongoose from a friend, which made a perfect SS candidate with its horizontal dropouts. I finished my restoration of the bike, and shelled out ~$50 for a new chainring, a few cogs, and a couple of chains, and I entered the fray.

I mostly ride the bike on campus, and hadn't gotten around to riding it offroad much...except for one soupy ride in some shitty, half-bald Specialized Ground Controls (the newer tread, not the classic ones I hear much about). The heckling from Fast Freddy and MellowCat encouraged me to try it again, and my off road ride on the MongooSSe yesterday finally pushed me over the edge.

I was sitting in class yesterday, staring out the window and debating which bike to take...the gearie, or give the MongooSSe its first REAL trail ride, after its conversion and new IRC Mythos XC tires? I went with the 'GooSSe, and didn't regret a second.

I started out on the easy little 1-mile trail to get started and get a feel for it, and didn't have a problem. So I turned around and came back, went under the bridge and through the little creek, and set my sights on the short (but steep and technical) hill I normally start out with...and normally don't get until the third or so try on my geared HardRock.

To my amazement, it was the smoothest ascent ever...it was like buttah. I almost lost momentum at the top, but kept it going. It was even easier the second and third time, I was grinning like an idiot. The other iffy parts on the trail, a log and three creek crossings, also went without a hitch. The hills gave me no trouble either...it was the most fun I've had on that trail.

Too bad I just purchased a new 8-speed cassette and chain, and a front derailleur...the new LX crankset and BB are needed, though. I figure I'll get a non-ramped 34t ring for the cranks to go with the 18t cog I have sitting around, and perhaps sell the chainrings to offset the cost. I'll go with a Singleator if there's no 'magic ratio' with my chainstays. Hm, I'll save even more weight than I was planning on...

I figure I'll give the 'GooSSe a try on a more difficult trail before I make a final decision, but I think it's bound to happen. I rode the HardRock a little today, and didn't really gain much from shifting....and I hate it when it comes time to clean the drivetrain.

So, if anyone might be interested in a new Deore front derailleur (top or bottom pull, bottom swing), SRAM 5.0 8-speed cassette, SRAM PC-58 chain, let me know. I might add a set of 22/32/44 chainrings to that list, we'll see. If I sell anything to anyone on here, I'll make sure to put up a dummy classifieds add to give MTBR their part.

I hope you all are happy, you've brainwashed another member into the club.

Brian

PS: I ran into another MTBR member on the trail, whose handle I don't know. He's the one who first let me know about the trail a couple of years back, after posting on General asking for some local trails. He remembered my 'GooSSe from posting on here, so we had a couple of nice trailside discussions. It was nice to meet you in person, Dr. Gottlob, I hope you can make it out to a group ride with some of us in the coming months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are you by chance the same Girchy Girchy from RBR that was wanting to get a Allez Comp Cro-mo? Sorry to squeal on you for being a roadie if it is indeed you!

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    Are you by chance the same Girchy Girchy from RBR that was wanting to get a Allez Comp Cro-mo? Sorry to squeal on you for being a roadie if it is indeed you!
    Yup, that would be me! I don't think I've ever found another Girchy anywhere.

No worry on squealin', I think it's safe here. For one thing, I almost bought a Cannondale Cyclocross bike from the guy who replied above you, but can't afford it now. I'm asking questions on RBR to get ideas for this summer, when I'll be working again, and can get a road bike. I'll just have to keep using the MongooSSe with slicks until then, I reckon'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like you've got a pretty cool "old-school" converted SS there. I say definately convert the Hardrock. Once your this far in, you'll never look back. After I got my Surly 1x1 I don't guess I've shifted a gear more than a dozen times. I'll have to take it (shifting) back up I guess when I get my Allez done, though. I guess that's forgiven since it's on the road. I'm dying to get that thing done, crap just keeps going wrong. All I lacked was gear cables and the ones I ordered, Aztec Powerlines, didn't come with all their parts so it's another week's wait while Performance Bike sends me a new set. Although I'll have to say they were really cool about it and told me to just keep what I already had for free. Maybe it's a sign I from the godSS that I need to ditch the deraillers and SS the Allez.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sorry I know this is a bit off topic for the SS board but I was cruising Ebay today and found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3668987913

he listed some more frames, and now has a buy-it-now option!

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    sorry I know this is a bit off topic for the SS board but I was cruising Ebay today and found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3668987913

he listed some more frames, and now has a buy-it-now option!
    Thanks...I'll have to email that guy when it's getting closer to purchase time, around the end of May. That frame and a Surly Pacer are at the top of my list.