I've spent the last few weeks acquiring parts to convert my rim-brake, geared HT to Disc. Bought some XTR DC disc shifters and calipers, trued up the old geared disc wheels that were in a box under the stairs, replaced the cables... etc.

Then I go grab my SS (converted HT) out of the truck to replace a chainring bolt I lost. I noticed a new scratch on the downtube - a deep one.

Ok - it's not a scratch.... it's a crack. Follow the crack up, and there is a V-shaped rip around the lower H2O boss. Basically, the downtube is split half-way through in some bizarre Y-formation.. NO idea when that happened. I haven't wrecked in months. Only had a minor collision with another rider in a 12hr race a couple weeks ago... Haven't hucked off anything since last season. Bike hasn't fallen off the car...

Looks like my Gearie is going to become a SS Convert with only one ride in it's current configuration. I only rode it about 10 times last year, where my SS was on the trail for hundreds of hours, 10 races, etc.

I wish I could justify the purchase of a new frame right now...

Just seems like a shame to let all that XTR shifty-stuff go to waste.

RIP Interloc. Your fillet brazes and maroon paint will be missed.

Hello Rockhound. Prepare for your new incarnation...