cyclocross ss riders?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

cyclocross ss riders?

Helmet in hand here asking for advice.

Am serious about joining the local cyclocross torture races this fall and need information on singlespeed bikes. Anyone have experience please post a list of cross ss frame manufacturers so I can research for the purchase later this summer. I know Spot, Salsa - others? Maybe a site with more info for the newbie? Advice?

Thanks.

"Mr. Britannica"

Surly, On One, IF

off the top of my head. Try the cx board on the roadie site, I know there are a few ss cx'ers over there.

banned

Singlecross info

Quote Originally Posted by the pope

Am serious about joining the local cyclocross torture races this fall and need information on singlespeed bikes. Anyone have experience please post a list of cross ss frame manufacturers so I can research for the purchase later this summer. I know Spot, Salsa - others? Maybe a site with more info for the newbie? Advice?

Thanks.
    Tarik Saleh's got an article on this subject. Check out

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlecross.html

ECB

Witty McWitterson
    Dude, ANY frame can be ss specific with the magic and wonder that is the ENO Eccentric hub. It's what I'm using on me Kona Jake(yet to be built though, so don't go askin' for thoughts on the ride). I'd expect ernesto to chirp in here soon about the ENO soon too. Last season I used a converted Trek as my SS crosser. Had a great time, and look forward to racing next season on a true cross bike.
    Just a regular guy.

hispanic mechanic

ss cx

Thanks.
    i highly recommend the surly cross-check if you're new to it. you can spend a lot more money, but since you don't know if your gonna like it, don't.
    the bonus is that you can stick 45mm tires on it and rip on your fave singletrack!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

(aka SS_MB-7)

Thanks.
    I've been racing a Seven SS 'cross bike with EBB for 2-yrs and it has been flawless...well, with the exception of the XTR V-brakes and Dia-Compe 287V levers -- I never could get these brakes to work right. Now, I'm using Campy Record carbon levers with NOS XT m-732 cantis.

For most courses, I find that my 42x18 works great and is a good compromise. If things get really steep, I run....most are running at this point anyway because of mandatory dismounts, etc.

SS for 'cross makes perfect sense since the conditions associated with 'cross (mud, snow, ice, etc.) generally cause drivetrains severe issues. With a SS, you just go!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member

Do you...

Do you have a job!
    Do you have need a car?
    Do you have bad CREDIT?!

NO PROBLEM!!!!!

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Anyway...do you have any frame around? A mtn bike frame, or a dedicated cross frame? If so, and are happy with it, you can go ENO on it. Why use a SS dedicated frame when you can ENO (eccentric hub) your frame?

Check it: http://www.whiteind.com/eno.htm (I still have to tweak that page a little). You can turn any frame with vertical drops into a SS bike without having to butcher the frame: http://www.adventurefind.com/bikes.html
    Those are examples. I don't have my Cross Hairs in the site because I was going to sell it. But it's back in action.

Usually for cross (it also depends on the course) I run a 34/16. But if the course is like the Folsom course in the Sac. series, a 42/18 would do.

You'll be surprised that yes, you will pass some gearies or a bunch of them on your SS cross rig. That all depends of course, on your level of fitness and your favorite movie. My favorite movie is TKAMB (that's "To Kill a Mocking Bird") and when I think about it during races, along with "Bury Me" by the Smashing Pumpkins, I kick ass.

Expert Pushing SSer

2ND the Surly Cross Check

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    i highly recommend the surly cross-check if you're new to it. you can spend a lot more money, but since you don't know if your gonna like it, don't.
    the bonus is that you can stick 45mm tires on it and rip on your fave singletrack!

the los
    Heard that is the easiest to work with out of the box due to the semi-horiz drops. Alas, no disc tabs. So an EBB may be the way to go or put up with the added weight of the Karate Monkey.

Good luck.

Mike
    Tuff Schist

[email protected] da dumb
    I did my first CX race on a SS MTB last fall and got hooked bigtime. I bought a steel Bianchi Reparto Corse SL from my LBS on a factory closeout deal. It's basically a geared CX bike with hori dropouts similar to the Surly Crosscheck but made from Columbus steel. As far as I know this bike is not made anymore.
    Bianchi CX Reparto Corse SL

Other bikes to consider are; On One Ill Pompino, Steelman and Gunnar

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

surly cross check

this bike is the way to go heavy as can be but solid and you get props for riding a 8 pound steel frame/fork in a time where every one is anorexic w/ bike weight, i run a 39x15 set up 39x16 if it is sloppy

highly visible

Don't forget the Bianchi Volpe!

Bianchi's marketing is inept when it comes to this bike. They've alternately marketed it as a loaded touring bike (but take a look at the wheelbase - that's a cross bike, not a tourer) and occasionally as a hybrid (even though it has drop bars). The Volpe only costs $850 with a Tiagra/Deore drivetrain that you can remove and convert to singlespeed. Sell off the STI shifters, derailleurs and cassette on Ebay and it costs even less.

No ENO needed because it has (forward-facing) horizontal dropouts and BTW it weighs almost a POUND less than the Surly. Mine was 23.4 pounds right out of the box and that's fully geared - you're talking about 21.5 or so in singlespeed mode without upgrading components. (Mine weighs more because of my comfortable saddle and ATAC pedals, although my '01 didn't come with that silly suspension seatpost). For not much money you could drop the weight under 20 if you were so inclined.

Standard 35-38mm tire clearance in back, but easily takes a 700x45 up front. The 2004 color sucks, but last I looked Harris Cyclery still had some 2003s for more like $700-750.

http://www.bianchiusa.com/volpe.html

Recovering couch patato
    MY Cross-Check, in 34-16, did very well in the Dutch Nationals. The course was favoring SS< but I of course was the only one. I spun out for maybe 20sec shortly after the start, and that's it. I rode everything others rode, and my drivetrain was still in tip-top shape after the full 40mins, where others broke off their derailers and required bike swaps.
    I say : forbid technical support and bike swaps in cross, and see how long it takes till we see the pro's convert :-)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks.
    I had a Steelman SS 'cross bike built. I'm INCREDIBLY happy with it, but Steelman's prices went way up about a year ago. I'm not sure what it would cost now. I use mine for road/mild offroad & fixed gear riding.

Here's mine:

Craig
    I dig steel-framed bikes of all shapes and sizes.