Crunch goes Hope?- Mtbr.com
    Damn Fool
    Jul 2010

New question here. Crunch goes Hope?

Crunch, screech, clunk, bzzzzzz.....

That's what my Hope Pro 2 SS hub sounded like at mile 60 during the Mohican 100 a few weeks ago. I was standing on a hill cranking and the free hub mechanism failed somehow.

I was able to finish the race (with significant drag in the freehub body) but it got me to wondering. I'm a bigger guy , in the 210 range and I train for riding bikes using Crossfit. I train dead lifts, sqauts, etc. I can put a lot of power through the drive train and regularly do during short steep climbs.

The guy at the bike shop said Hope free hubs occasionally do that. Given the reputation of the hubs, that surprised me. Anyone else have similar issues?

I'll be going to the shop tomorrow to pick up the rear wheel and I plan to find out exactly what the failure was.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

local trails rider
    I hear some have had a pawl or spring break in Hope hubs. Pull the freehub and see if that is the case with yours. I bought a set of pawls and springs just in case but have not needed them in a few years of riding.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What kind of maintenance have you been doing to that freehub? Curious. I was going to possibly build up a set of wheels with it.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I pulled it apart when I got it to see how it worked. That was two years ago now. I also pulled it apart at the beginning of the season and it looked essentially new. So, no actual maintenance, just inspection.

I just remembered that the freehub would shift around on the axle, so I'm not sure if the pawls are the culprit.

I dropped the wheel off at my LBS because I don't have time to mess with it . I'll find out what failed when I pick it up this weekend.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

local trails rider
    So far, my maintenance has consisted of pulling off the freehub, taking the springs and pawls off, cleaning, re-greasing and putting it back together. I think I've done it about once a year.

Probably, the bearings have to be replaced at some point.

Hope has a thorough video about it on youtube:
    Hope Technology - Pro2 Rear Hub Strip/Rebuild - YouTube

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Low Rep Count
    Well, I am happy to hear that your hub was about 2 yrs old when this happened. My hubs only have about 300 miles on them if that so far! Long ways to go for me (I hope). But I will probably tear them apart over the winter and inspect/lube them up then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hopes are known to be the most economical hub for big,powerful guys. They have had some failures though. I'm surprised to see this in the SS forum though because SS hubs don't see near as much torque as a geared bike. For ultimate durability, you can't go wrong with a DT Swiss star ratchet hub or a chris king.

I'm a big guy and can destroy a shimano freehub by looking at it. My DT Swiss 440 rear hub has been holding up well going on two years on my geared bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Hopes are known to be the most economical hub for big,powerful guys. They have had some failures though. I'm surprised to see this in the SS forum though because SS hubs don't see near as much torque as a geared bike. For ultimate durability, you can't go wrong with a DT Swiss star ratchet hub or a chris king.

I'm a big guy and can destroy a shimano freehub by looking at it. My DT Swiss 440 rear hub has been holding up well going on two years on my geared bike.
    Have you actually measured? I think it's very unlikely a geared hub see more torque, if anything my legs tell me is true.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Mechanical advantage, you can pedal easier in a lower gear because the gearing is multiplying the torque from the pedals to the rear hub.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Mechanical advantage, you can pedal easier in a lower gear because the gearing is multiplying the torque from the pedals to the rear hub.
    I actually did some calculations of this on a recent plane trip....

Force on the pedals, crank and chain tends to be higher on the singlespeed (your legs should tell you this). Force on the hub is exactly equal between gears and a SS for a constant speed and grade. Maximum possible force at the rear hub is higher with gears (unless you run a 22:36 front:rear or something silly) due to the mechanical advantage.

That's why I was surprised at the hub failure. If the guts of the hub can stand big guys with gears cranking up stuff, they *should* be able to handle me on a singlespeed.

Edited for clarity
    Last edited by TreeFarmer; 06-21-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: clarity

~ B A D A S S ~
    The hopes are overrated from my research. Better than taiwan crap but not by much. I have read about failed shells, springs, pawls, bearings, freehubs, you name it. Its a quite cheap hub, and you get what you pay for (somewhat). Also the pawls and springs will definitely break sooner or later with all hubs of similar construction. The impression I have gotten from Hope hubs is that they are like midrange quality, nothing special, BUT all spares are available. Definitely one step behind the top notch brands.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Better than taiwan crap but not by much.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Just read the reviews all over then net..
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    I don't have to. I own the hubs and they have been fantastic.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Definetely makes sense to me now. But I still think ss hubs can see higher torque more often on Mtn bikes. Locally we typically climb quite a bit faster than gears. All goes out the window with a faster gear rider though.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeFarmer View Post

I'll be going to the shop tomorrow to pick up the rear wheel and I plan to find out exactly what the failure was.
    I'm guessing one of the bearings in the freehub body. Thanks for reminding me to do some preventative maintenance

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Talked to the shop today..... Not good news.

Apparently I trashed one of the bearings and in the process of finishing the race I was in, I mangled the axle bad enough that it doesn't play nice with the new bearings..... I'm not too upset because I knew it was a risk when I made the decision to press on for the last third of the race. Just a bummer that the shop didn't catch of until reassembling the hub.

I guess that means I have another week on the road bike before I can go play in the dirt again. There's worse things in life. I I get really bored I might build up my new cyclocross frame

Members who have read this thread: 0