crucial new wheelset for On-One Inbred- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

crucial new wheelset for On-One Inbred

I'm torn between building 2 wheelsets. It will go on a 2005 On-one Inbred. I wiegh 170 lbs. and put in 14-21 miles XC a day in central Indiana (mostly flat, some hills). I'm racing the DINO series this year so i have some concern for wieght, yet plan on relocating to Vietnam where there are *huge* mountains.

I have ridden the same Paul hubs for the past 4 years and have to say they are awesome. I have replaced the rear drive side with a Phil Wood bearing_so that's the only thing i have ever done with it. I have never used Phil Wood hubs, though i have eyed those for years. they are gorgeous hubs_though a much heavier hub then others.

Option:
    1. Phil Wood SS hubs with SLR option
    DT Revolution spokes
    brass nipples
    Sun 0 degree or UFO

2. Paul Word hubs
    Dt Revolution spokes
    brass nipples
    Sun 0 degree or UFO

what set-up should i go with? discuss.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilegal, Y Que?
    Option:
    1. Phil Wood SS hubs with SLR option
    DT Revolution spokes
    brass nipples
    Sun 0 degree or UFO

2. Paul Word hubs
    Dt Revolution spokes
    brass nipples
    Sun 0 degree or UFO

what set-up should i go with? discuss.
    Both excellent choices. Personally, I'd go with Phil. I've used and abused two Phil hubs and never had a problem with either. Through years of reading reviews, I've come away with the totally unscientific impression that Phil's are the more bombproof of the two. Phil's reputation for excellent customer service is also a big plus for me...

baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Both excellent choices. Personally, I'd go with Phil. I've used and abused two Phil hubs and never had a problem with either. Through years of reading reviews, I've come away with the totally unscientific impression that Phil's are the more bombproof of the two. Phil's reputation for excellent customer service is also a big plus for me...

baker

A friend last night mentioned that running Phil Wood hubs with DT Revolution spokes and Sun 0 degree XC rims is like eating a Big Mac with a Diet Coke. You have heavy bullet proof hub with a very lean (read: race) spoke/rim set-up. Perhaps the better set up would be with the Paul Hubs???

drinker
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilegal, Y Que?
    A friend last night mentioned that running Phil Wood hubs with DT Revolution spokes and Sun 0 degree XC rims is like eating a Big Mac with a Diet Coke. You have heavy bullet proof hub with a very lean (read: race) spoke/rim set-up. Perhaps the better set up would be with the Paul Hubs???

i was thinking that when i read your 2 choices. i've got 2 sets of paul's hubs now and have never had an issue with any of them. granted i am slightly lighter then you but still. if you're willing to make a sacrifice for weight on the rim and spokes why not on the hub aswell? i mean, no matter which hub you choose, the rim will either fold, or wear out before the hubs will die. you can't go wrong with either though. granted i'd be using a mavic product over a sun; but that's just me. (ie. use paul hubs, use the money saved from hubs and put it towards better rims)