Crosscheck info- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crosscheck info

zeebot

Crosscheck info

I know this has been posted before and I believe in this forum. I did look some but I can't get the search function to work.

I'm thinking about getting a Surly Crosscheck to play around with and have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

how is it for technical trail riding and going over logs, etc? Is it hard to lift the front end up?

Is it reasonable to use as basically a mountain bike with my 29er wheelset, a road bike with a roadie wheelset and a tourer with the mtb wheelset?

I was thinking about gettiing on-one's dirt drops or perhaps just using road bars but I don't know how i'd like those on the trail.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    I know this has been posted before and I believe in this forum. I did look some but I can't get the search function to work.

I'm thinking about getting a Surly Crosscheck to play around with and have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

how is it for technical trail riding and going over logs, etc? Is it hard to lift the front end up?

Is it reasonable to use as basically a mountain bike with my 29er wheelset, a road bike with a roadie wheelset and a tourer with the mtb wheelset?

I was thinking about gettiing on-one's dirt drops or perhaps just using road bars but I don't know how i'd like those on the trail.

OK, I finally found a post. to save you time, i'm going to get one.

Cracker-magnon
    Cool... It was good of you to decide on this w/o us having to have the mafia hunt you down and do something to you for bringing up a bunch of silly questions.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I sold mine a few months ago, and I regret it. I'm thinking about getting another one. I don't know if you found the answer about the mtb tires, but the "real" 29er tires I tried are a very tight fit even after clipping side knobs.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How do Little Alberts or Conti Vapours go in a CrossCheck?

Sam

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I sold mine a few months ago, and I regret it. I'm thinking about getting another one. I don't know if you found the answer about the mtb tires, but the "real" 29er tires I tried are a very tight fit even after clipping side knobs.
    I was just going to use the wheelset but use smaller tires. What I really want to know is if it could completely replace my mountain bike for the time being. I don't mind the rigid ride - although maybe i will with the smaller tires? While my 29er was rigid I was never able to run the tires super low like i could on the 26" due to pinch flats so I was accustomed to a pretty punishing ride on fast, rocky downhills.

I have an eno rear for the road so would use a road wheelset in 48-18 for road riding and then stick the mtb set in making it 48-24 for single track.

I really like the looks of those on-one dirt drops and think they would work well for the road and single track.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    I really like the looks of those on-one dirt drops and think they would work well for the road and single track.
    i've ridden my crosscheck offroad on semi-technical trails with 32c crossmax tires, which was sketchy. just the other day, however, i picked up a set of mutanoraptors (44c), and took the beast for a real ride. it definately wasn't a "plush" ride, but i had no problems. made it over several logs, large rocks, stone walls, etc. getting the front end off the ground isn't a problem for me since i'm using a shorter high rise stem and on-one midge bar. one thing worth mentioning is toe-overlap. and pedal strikes. neither are much a problem if you're aware of them, however, i wouldn't ride one fixed offroad for those reasons.

as far as riding on the road, i still use the midge bar, but sometimes switch out the high rise stem for one that is more level and longer. it's a compromise bike. it's good on the road, good on the trail, and good at touring, but great at none of the above. i've had it set up with a rear rack and pannier, loaded under 30lbs, and it performed well.

enjoy it!

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

I am the owl
    I was just going to use the wheelset but use smaller tires. What I really want to know is if it could completely replace my mountain bike for the time being.
    The Crosscheck is a great bike, very versatile. I've ridden mine plenty off-road and in some gnarly stuff. That said, I would never consider it as a replacement for an MTB, it handles totally different. You can jump it, get it over big logs, etc., but it's not the same. Do the following test: ride a wheelie on it and then go do the same on your favorite MTB and you'll have one example of what I mean.

Fun bike, but not a substitute for a real off-road bike. My $.02
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Fun bike, but not a substitute for a real off-road bike. My $.02

i came to the same conclusion myself. but i still do take the crosscheck instead of my mtb on many trail rides. i find that tight, winding, semi-smooth singletrack is where the crosscheck excels. i can just hammer through the corners so much faster and smoother than i can on any other bike.

the_dude

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    The Dude and riderx nailed it. A Mutanoraptor 44 is the biggest tire I'd put into a Crosscheck. I usually put low pressures in my MTB tires, and I had to pump up the Mutanoraptors much higher and harder whenever I rode really rocky stuff to avoid pinch flats. Traction is not as good as a competent MTB under those conditions and it wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. After a couple of hours of that, I'd be blitzed.
    yeah. the mutano's recommended pressure range is 50-80psi. 50 was like riding a jackhammer. i backed off to about 38psi, and the comfort and traction were much better. haven't pinch-flatted yet.

the_dude

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    The Dude and riderx nailed it. A Mutanoraptor 44 is the biggest tire I'd put into a Crosscheck. I usually put low pressures in my MTB tires, and I had to pump up the Mutanoraptors much higher and harder whenever I rode really rocky stuff to avoid pinch flats. Traction is not as good as a competent MTB under those conditions and it wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. After a couple of hours of that, I'd be blitzed.

IMHO, it is not a worthy replacement for an MTB if you are riding rocky stuff for hours on end. For less technical dirt trails, touring and pavement, it was my ideal bike.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

try driving your car less
    I was just going to use the wheelset but use smaller tires. What I really want to know is if it could completely replace my mountain bike for the time being. I don't mind the rigid ride - although maybe i will with the smaller tires? While my 29er was rigid I was never able to run the tires super low like i could on the 26" due to pinch flats so I was accustomed to a pretty punishing ride on fast, rocky downhills.

I have an eno rear for the road so would use a road wheelset in 48-18 for road riding and then stick the mtb set in making it 48-24 for single track.

i have one. keep the mtb. Xcheck is great. i use it as a commuter year round, and for triathlons. it's my road bike.
    i have taken it offroad with big cross tires. it's not a mtb. OK for dirt roads, though. real singletrack is another matter.

for one bike only, a mtb with slicks on the road, and knobbies on the trail for me. rather than a road bike with knobbies.

before you buy anything, try slicks on your mtb for a ride. see how much you like or dislike it. pump em up real hard.

i have toe overlap with big winter shoes and big tires. on the Xcheck. it's a 56.
    Only boring people get bored.

zeebot
    Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't going to get rid of the mtb, but there are some things I'm not liking so much on it right now and I was hoping I could retire it for a month or two until I figure out what to do. Mainly, the jone's bars are giving me troubles during my longer races(greater than 6 hours) with the nerves in my hands.

I'd really like the crosscheck for touring duty but if it's not so great as a road bike I may skip the idea all together.

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    i have one. keep the mtb. Xcheck is great. i use it as a commuter year round, and for triathlons. it's my road bike.
    i have taken it offroad with big cross tires. it's not a mtb. OK for dirt roads, though. real singletrack is another matter.
    for one bike only, a mtb with slicks on the road, and knobbies on the trail for me. rather than a road bike with knobbies.
    before you buy anything, try slicks on your mtb for a ride. see how much you like or dislike it. pump em up real hard.
    i have toe overlap with big winter shoes and big tires. on the Xcheck. it's a 56.
    I mostly agree with everyone else here.... It all depends on what you are after out of a ride. I found riding the Xcheck on the trail to be just as much a mental exercise as a physical. Definitely does not replace the MTB, but the MTB definitely does not replace a road bike either. I went from my fixie back to a mtb with slicks and it was horrible, even witht the tires at high pressure.

I am the owl
    I'd really like the crosscheck for touring duty but if it's not so great as a road bike I may skip the idea all together.
    The Crosscheck is my only "road" bike. It works really well for me. It also serves as my touring bike. For those to uses, I would highly recommend having it in the quiver. For pure dirt, you could get by for a while if you did not have another MTB, but I wouldn't make it permanent.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    The Crosscheck is my only "road" bike. It works really well for me. It also serves as my touring bike. For those to uses, I would highly recommend having it in the quiver. For pure dirt, you could get by for a while if you did not have another MTB, but I wouldn't make it permanent.
    Good to know. Thanks. I think I'll go for it then and just swap all the parts from my current roadie to it. Perhaps dabble off road too.

Now to find a 58cm in stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I guess Drevil and RiderX used their cross-check off-road as fixies. I wonder if it might not be quite such a challenge to ride it off-road with gears....I guess this is the SS forum so its probably not much of a point, but with 44x17 no wonder it is a handful off-road.

Drevil, you know your cross-check is too small for me and that I still feel guilty for taking it off you so cheaply.

I ride it 5 days a week though and I have no other road bike/fixie.

try driving your car less
    works for me as a road bike. i have 2 wheelsets so i dont have to switch tires. one is with 28c slicks pumped up hard, the other with some big cross tires for the winter.

i sort of want a 'real' road bike, and have tried some friends' bikes. they feel fun and faster (and lighter), but since i dont race for real on the road, just some tri stuff, i will stick with just one bike on the road. then i dont feel bad about riding in all sorts of weather. and for a real improvement that i could really feel, it would cost a ton of money for a nice road bike.

i do the tri's with rack and fenders! i still do OK. i am not going to win those things. too many freaks.

you are in NY, correct? i have been eyeing the IRO rob roy. the curvy seat stays look really cool and i like the color. you might be able to check one out in person, save shipping and maybe do a test ride. i love the looks of the bike, and $599 complete aint bad. 279 frame and fork.

https://www.irocycle.com/
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

my 2 cents...

for what it's worth, I took my x-check on a fully loaded (front and rear panniers) ride from Tilamook OR to San Fran CA. 752 miles later, I couldn't have been happier. It's a great bike that rides extremely comfortably on the road. I did the trip on a set of Mavic 119's laced up to deore hubs. I've been meaning to get a set of the wtb 44mm tires to use on that same wheelset and see how it feels on the singletrack around here in northern CA. like most people have said, I don't expect it to be a substitution for a true mtb, but I'm sure it'll be fun and interesting. In the end, if I could keep only one of my bikes, this would be the one. Nothing beats the versatility and fun factor of this bike.

Dan.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    works for me as a road bike. i have 2 wheelsets so i dont have to switch tires. one is with 28c slicks pumped up hard, the other with some big cross tires for the winter.

i sort of want a 'real' road bike, and have tried some friends' bikes. they feel fun and faster (and lighter), but since i dont race for real on the road, just some tri stuff, i will stick with just one bike on the road. then i dont feel bad about riding in all sorts of weather. and for a real improvement that i could really feel, it would cost a ton of money for a nice road bike.

i do the tri's with rack and fenders! i still do OK. i am not going to win those things. too many freaks.

you are in NY, correct? i have been eyeing the IRO rob roy. the curvy seat stays look really cool and i like the color. you might be able to check one out in person, save shipping and maybe do a test ride. i love the looks of the bike, and $599 complete aint bad. 279 frame and fork.

https://www.irocycle.com/
    I know of and like the iro bike but it doesn't have the versatility of the crosscheck. I definitely want the option of gears. I'm actually considering building up a geared 29er as well for racing.

I've never even really ridden a geared bike of my own, but have borrowed squishmasters and for the most part didn't like them much although I did like the scalpel a lot.

I think a hardtail 29er with a thudbuster would be great!

Let go lightly

Sizing?

I've been looking at the Crosscheck for a while. I want to use for mixed road and off-road (maybe some cross races) with 2 wheelsets. Wondering what size frame I should get. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I fit most medium MTB's perfectly. On my MTB I have a 23" effective TT. I think I should get the 56cm Crosscheck but I know some people run slightly smaller on cross bikes so wondering if I should get the 54.

Thanks,

Alex

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

sizing

Quote Originally Posted by CruzSS
    I've been looking at the Crosscheck for a while. I want to use for mixed road and off-road (maybe some cross races) with 2 wheelsets. Wondering what size frame I should get. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I fit most medium MTB's perfectly. On my MTB I have a 23" effective TT. I think I should get the 56cm Crosscheck but I know some people run slightly smaller on cross bikes so wondering if I should get the 54.

Thanks,

Alex
    Hi Alex, I'm 6ft and I used to ride a 58cm trek road bike, with a 57cm tt. I have a 34" inseam and I got the 56CM crosscheck cause it had the same 57cmtt, it works great, depending on what type of upper body reach you have and what size of a stem you want, a 54 should be able to work, I think it has a 56cm tt, but I'm not positive. Going down one size with a similar size tt as a road bike will give you the extra stand over you want for cross racing dissmounts, and somewhat technicial single track.
    By the way I have a 18t track cog ordered so I can more easily ride fixed off road with cross tires, I tried it with a 16t, but it was pretty hard, and 39-18 is my usual ss cross racing w/ a fw gear, maybe I'll try a race fixed this year??

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by CruzSS
    FWIW I am not quite 5'10" but I have a 34" inseam and a 6'1" arm span (can you say freak ). Anyway, I am on a 56cm. I think that if my legs were any shorter a 54 would be nice, for the stand over.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    FWIW I am not quite 5'10" but I have a 34" inseam and a 6'1" arm span (can you say freak ). Anyway, I am on a 56cm. I think that if my legs were any shorter a 54 would be nice, for the stand over.
    Hmm, I was going to get a 58cm. I'm 6' with a 34.5" inseam and 24" from the grip part of the hand to the pit of my arm.

Perhaps I should consider the 56cm instead?

I am the owl
    For what it's worth, I'm a bit over 6' w/ a 34" inseam (pants measurement, not sure of actual) and run a 56.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Cubicle Fugitive

Cross as MTB

Sketchy, true, but still fun. I think if you try to ride it like and MTB you will be dissapointed. However, I have found that I can ride my Double Cross on the same trails and have just as much fun. It is just a matter of how you approach the trail. (Granted, the trails in my area aren't the most technical, and I am sure there are places where the skinnier tires just don't cut it.) I can still lift up the front for ups and drops, bunny hop etc.

FWIW, I can fit a 2.1" 29'er tire in the front of my Soma Double Cross, which is a couple hundered more than the Surly, but built with nicer, lighter tubing. It will only take a 44C in the back. That said, I've left 37C Conti Twister Pros on it front and rear for the last few months and they are surprisingly capable. Enough so that they make the limitations of my 26 inch bike with a 2.6" tire clear relative to the larger wheels even with skinny rubber.

My guess is that it will take much longer than two months to get tired of riding the Surly off road as long as you can find the fun in picking lines over bombing through stuff.

Boe
    http://boe.fixed.se
    Love my Crosscheck. U can use it for pretty much everything. Midge bars are way cool, off road and on road.