mtbr member

cross post from Kona forum

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=298636

I am not getting much feedback on the Kona forum so I thought I would ask here.

I read about diddir, walaz and other cracking their 2-9 units here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=crack

Has anyone had a problem with the 26" version of the Kona Unit?
    Anything in particular I should look for when shopping for a 2004 - 2006 model 26" Unit?

mtbr member

Yup

I cracked the hell out of a Unit 26" after only a few months on it. They gave me a new one under warrenty no problem but left me with little confidence in the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Phoinix, what year was that frame? I have a 2006

I am Doctor Remulak
    I have a 2004 26" Unit that has been completely problem free here in Phoenix where we have our share of rough terrain (where Dirdir and Waltaz broke their 29ers).

mtbr member

It was a 2006 Unit. Mine is just one experience so I wouldn't judge just from my experience. I was using a Jones H-bar which really torqued the frame. I am not sure if this contributed but who knows. I am not expert in such things. It looks like the 2007 models have fixed some frame cracking problems reported in these forums. Good luck in whatevery you decide.

mtbr member
    The one I am looking at now is an '05 model.

Ouch, I am hot!
    As far as I know, the 26 Units are solid. Some may have broken, but, as with all bikes, a certain small % of breaks is expected. The 2006 29er Unit is a completely different story. Word from Kona, indirectly though, was that 10% of the 2006 29ers broke. Way too many to be anything other than a design or manufacturing defect. The 2007 has been re-designed. My take is that Kona jumped into the 29er game and "slapped" a frame together in haste so it didn't "miss the boat." WaltAZ loves his 2007 29er Unit, and so far no word of any problems. I think Kona is a great company, even if my speculation about its haste is true. As of now, my take on that is simply speculation.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I bought my 2006 Kona Unit 2-9 about three months ago. I have been riding the frame pretty agressively. My most favorite bike so far. It ride like a champ. Super cush for a hardtail. No problems yet..... Maybe if it cracks they will upgrade the frame for me....

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Have a '04 Unit and the frame is solid and problem free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Have a '04 Unit and the frame is solid and problem free.

Good to hear.

Members who have read this thread: 0