Cross Check Wheels- Mtbr.com
    Fat Boy Deluxe

New question here. Cross Check Wheels

Anyone know if you can fit old school 27" road wheels on a cross check instead of 700c? Hopefully with cross tires rather than road...

DT

One gear to rule them all

I would think it would work...

a 27" wheel is only slightly larger diameter than a 700c. If you have enough room to move your brake pads up, it will work. I would guess you would need to move them about a 1/4" higher than the position for 700c wheels. The other problem you will run into is the spacing. The cross check is 132.5mm and your 27" wheel is probably 126mm. If it is a QR axle you may not have enough room to re-space it to 130-135mm.
    Good luck, Todd

Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    Anyone know if you can fit old school 27" road wheels on a cross check instead of 700c? Hopefully with cross tires rather than road...

DT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yo DMOFOT

27's will fit fine. You might end up needing some really adjustable brakes to make the reach though. Paul canti and the older Avid TriAligns will do the trick.

The hardest part will be finding real CX tires in 27"

Most 27 wheels are 120-126 spaced so you'll have to replace the axle and add some spacers to get it to at least 130. If your running SS or fixed you might get by without redishing the wheel, using spacers on both sides and using the inner front ring.

Otherwise you will have to redish the wheel.

Good luck with your project.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdogger
    27's will fit fine. You might end up needing some really adjustable brakes to make the reach though. Paul canti and the older Avid TriAligns will do the trick.

The hardest part will be finding real CX tires in 27"

Most 27 wheels are 120-126 spaced so you'll have to replace the axle and add some spacers to get it to at least 130. If your running SS or fixed you might get by without redishing the wheel, using spacers on both sides and using the inner front ring.

Otherwise you will have to redish the wheel.

Good luck with your project.
    Yea, I've got a 27" fixed wheelset running Tioga Bloodhound cross tires on my junker cross bike with 126mm axle, so I was just wondering if they would fit on a Cross Check in case I come upon a cheap frame. Or if I ever sell the Pista I could trade up, but it's all just thoughts swirling at this point...

DT

Faster Than Your TV!

New question here. What?...

Yea, I've got a 27" fixed wheelset running Tioga Bloodhound cross tires on my junker cross bike with 126mm axle, so I was just wondering if they would fit on a Cross Check in case I come upon a cheap frame. Or if I ever sell the Pista I could trade up, but it's all just thoughts swirling at this point...

DT
    didja get a little CrossCheck envy the other night, bro?
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The shop I worked at sold 27" x 1 3/8 "cross" tires made by Cheng Shen. Not high quality mind you, but we sold them to people who would convert their old Schwinn varsity's into Hybrid style bikes. You know, riser bars and a high rise stem to be more upright and some meatier tires to keep away the flats.

Fat Boy Deluxe

Oh yea

Quote Originally Posted by iconoclaSSt
    didja get a little CrossCheck envy the other night, bro?

Yea, more envious of the fact it's so versatile and a track bike is so limiting. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pista, but there are few things out there I wish it could handle better...like dirt.

DT

One gear to rule them all

My thoughts exactly...

I did the same thing. I had a track bike built up, but it was not at all versatile. I needed a bike that I could use to commute, ride some double track, take on long gravel roads, and take on the road, every once and a while. So far the cross check is working out great. The 40mm tire are very plush. I still need to unload what is left of the track bike. Hello ebay.

Yea, more envious of the fact it's so versatile and a track bike is so limiting. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pista, but there are few things out there I wish it could handle better...like dirt.

DT
    Attached Images Attached Images