Critique My Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Critique My Build

Alright guys and gals. I've been perusing the singlespeed forums for a while now. Gathering information and plotting out a build to suit my every fancy . I currently ride a geared bike (Trek, Fox, Spynergy, X9, blah, etc) and I think it is time to build up a singlespeed trail demon out of spare parts and some budget friendly additional parts.

Here it is:

Frame- XL Fetish Fixation 26"
    Fork- Surly 1x1
    Headset- FSA Pig
    Stem- FSA OS-190
    Handlebar- Sette 27" 31.8mm
    Grips- Sette Foam
    Levers- Avid Speed Dial 7
    Brakes- Avid Single Digit 7
    Rims- Mavic basic
    Hubs- XT
    Chain- SRAM PC-971
    Crankset- RaceFace Evolve 175mm
    Chainring- Blackspire Mono Veloce 34t
    Cog- Surly 17t
    Tires- Kenda Nevegal DH 2.5"
    Pedals- DMR V8 or Egg Beaters
    Seatpost- Thomson Elite 27.2mm
    Seat- WTB Rocket V Pro

Tell me what you think of the specs, looking for criticism, positive or negative you won't hurt my feelings. I am building this as a fun bike to take to the trails from time to time just for something different. Running the tires pretty low like 25lbs to get a little suspension action going on.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Looks solid, bombproof, and heavy.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    looks solid and heavy, but i don't think it'll be too heavy. it just won't be what you would call a lightweight.

local trails rider
    Isn't the 1x1 fork pretty short?
    On the Fetish site it says the Fixation is designed for 100 mm suspension forks.
    17" to 18" chain stays? Much longer than I like. Maybe it is the twisty trails I ride...
    Are you sure you need DH tires? Maybe find something lighter but still high volume?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Heavy. Really heavy. The worst part is, you'll be carrying a lot of that weight around in your wheels, which is just about the worst thing you can do. Unless you're going to be dropping it out of a plane, go lighter.

You can do a durable and light wheelset for under $300 with Hope hubs and Velocity rims.

Those tires weigh 1140g each! That's 2 1/2 pounds a piece! Go with a high volume trail tire like the WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 for something with cush, but also only weighs 595g. That's over two pounds of rotating mass saved.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/119...2.24-_-2.4.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Spare Parts build....so it looks good to me.

Bicycle Addict
    You have some pretty sweet spare parts! I would agree with bad mechanic, buy some lighter tires man. It's gonna be a PITA to get those RPM'S up with those fat tires on there, especially on SS.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks to all and thanks to those still yet to comment.

As to the weight, that was a pretty serious concern. I definitely cannot afford to build up a lighter wheelset (unless someone wants to buy my current XT/ Mavic wheelset for $300). The tires were just laying around and I wanted to give them a spin, but this may not be the bike to do that on, definitely going to try them for a minute then may go to some lighters treads.

perttime- yes the fork is rather short, it's going to definitely be a pretty level laying bike, but that's the only rigid I have laying around, I have a Dart 3 to throw on it if necessary to get it handling correctly

bad mechanic- thanks for the input, this is what I was looking for in posting. Any ideas on some other light tires with a width of 2.35 or greater?

Thanks again.

Retro Grouch
    I'd throw in a Stans NoTubes kit and make that front tire tubeless. Tubeless works much better at low pressure than tubed.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Did a little mock build up on an Excel sheet with the claimed weights of the parts I will be using. I have some Panaracer Fire XC tires laying around that I plan to throw on until I can afford some lightweight larger treads.

Excel sheet projects the weight to be 25.45lbs. Would that be considered heavy for a single speed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonK
    Did a little mock build up on an Excel sheet with the claimed weights of the parts I will be using. I have some Panaracer Fire XC tires laying around that I plan to throw on until I can afford some lightweight larger treads.

Excel sheet projects the weight to be 25.45lbs. Would that be considered heavy for a single speed?
    That things weighs less than my ride, so I say go for it. If you got the parts just build it and ride it to the ground.

Enjoy.

bryan d
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

Out spokin'
    That's probably lighter than my bike, too. If someone tells you it's too heavy, tell them not to get off it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Drinking the Slick_Juice

mine stands at 26.6 lbs but im not sure if your bike is all steel , if it is then its a good weight.
    if the weight keeps it form breaking(good strong components ) then just ride a be happy, think of it as strength training
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

local trails rider
    My bikes have never been weighed... but losing around 1 kg/ 2 lbs in tyre weight made a big difference in the effort it takes to get the bike moving. At that time I went for Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic. Now I am on Mountain King 2.4 SuperSonics. They are not exactly cheap and may be vulnerable if you have more sharp rocks around than I do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

lots of weight weenies in here...

All these fools hatin on big tires need to chillax. I ride the biggest frt that will fit. the tires are your suspension, and your frame is alum. plus torn side walls can suck it. also when out-of-the-saddle uphill times come you need traction or else you are hosed. wheels? sure go light, if you got the $$ to pump in it. But tires are where weight is never a factor for me.

I do agree that the fork may be short for that frame however. and the 34t chain ring and 175 cranks don't make the most ideal clearance for off road application. that's my only real critique.

otherwise, ride it til something breaks.
    no chain no gain.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    torn side walls can suck
    Don't ask how I know

... I am all for fat tires, but prefer to keep them as light as I can manage without sacrificing durability too much.

Here's my light bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Did a little mock build up on an Excel sheet with the claimed weights of the parts I will be using...Excel sheet projects the weight to be 25.45lbs.
    Is that with the DH tires? If so, I think that's too light and you've omitted something from the sheet. The sheet I use has the following items:
    Frame
    Fork
    Front Rim
    Front Hub
    Front Tire
    Rear Rim
    Rear Hub
    Rear Tire
    Front Spokes
    Rear Spokes
    Tubes
    Rim Strips
    Skewers
    Cog
    Tensioner
    Brakes
    Brake Levers
    Handlebar
    Stem
    Headset
    Headser spacer
    Collar
    Seatpost
    Seat
    Crankset
    Crank bolts
    Bottom Bracket
    Chain
    Pedals
    Cables
    Grips
    Air

Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    All these fools hatin on big tires need to chillax. I ride the biggest frt that will fit. But tires are where weight is never a factor for me.
    Tires are the place where weight is the biggest factor for me, since it's where you feel the weight most. You can go big and fat without going heavy. You seem to have that SS aversion to things light weight which I keep seeing. I don't understand it. Have you ridden a truly light mountain bike? It's incredible fun.

Also, those Nevegal DH tires are going to have a lot of rolling resistance. A. Lot.

Low Rep Count
    Damn that on those tires! I guess I am in a different mind set all together because I only ride a 2.1 on front and a 1.95 on the rear. I still have front suspension on my bike though but I have had no problems with flats or wheel damage on my old xc or my current SS and had been rolling on a 1.8 rear for the past 7 years! Figured if it aint broke, why change it!

I gotta weigh my bike now that I have pretty much finished building it. if my lbc has a scale I will use it or worst case use the bathroom scale. I am guessing that I am right around 25lbs. If it is more than that, I will be irritated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks all for the replies.

bad mechanic- that is the weight with the 635g Panaracer's. I included weights and overestimated some that I didn't know for everything down to the bar plugs. I think it is going to be pretty close to that weight.

10speedbiospacefreewheel- I know I am at a disadvantage for pedal strike against obstacles. But fact of the matter is I'm 6'4'' and ride an XL and I don't exactly have short legs so I have to go with the longer crank arms.

It's looking like I'm gonna build this sucker in the next week or so. Turns out the only part I'm going to have to buy is the Surly cog. So $24 for a singlespeed, I think I can handle that. Frame is aluminum, but I get the feeling this is going to be an ok weight. I'm just going to build it up rigid and if I don't like how it sits throw the Dart on but that bumps the weight up to 28lbs! I am officially going to have to start searching for a cheap light front for with 100mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I ran a Fixation for a while and enjoyed it a lot. However, it is a STIFF ride, even by aluminum standards. The massive gussets and overwelding make the bike about as rigid as you could possibly want for an xc-type single speed. That said, I think the 100mm suspension may be a good idea - both because of the stiffness factor and the manufacturer's specs (though most would agree that you should at least bump up to a Tora over that Dart). I ran a 120mm Minute on mine and loved it, but that amount of travel will void your frame's warranty so I can't recommend it for that reason, haha. Also, the Fire XC's are a good all-purpose tire, I wouldn't worry too much about replacing them just yet. Though I prefer a lighter ride, I've never minded the Panaracers.

One last little thing to consider - I'm not sure if those XT/Mavic's are QR or bolt-on (assuming QR), but you'll need a tug for the drive-side rear drop out. The Fetish has a steel plate built into the dropout which is nice for durability, but can make the axle slip easier because it has no frame/paint to dig into. A cheap BMX tugnut outta do the trick, though if you really want to make it work, you can do as I did and swap out the QR with a 10 dollar solid nutted-axle.

Enjoy!

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Don't ask how I know

... I am all for fat tires, but prefer to keep them as light as I can manage without sacrificing durability too much.

Here's my light bike

looks flexy

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    looks flexy

The rear tyre looks a bit flexy right now. I think I have a bad valve...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    TIRES!!!

2.35" High Rollers on my Santa Cruz Chameleon. Maxxis ADvantage is my favorite tire ever!

It's all about where you live...the soils types of the trail and your skill. 95% of my riding is in Colorado's front range (loose granite skree on hard pack--ball bearings of death--with some sandy areas and the occasional 10ft of black gripperific dirt). So I gotta role something with a pretty deep tread and solid edge knobs...gets through the rubble then holds on the hard.

Agree with the comment about tubeless, though I run a higher pressure anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0