Crested Butte SSing- Mtbr.com
    dlk
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Crested Butte SSing

I am heading to Crested Butte (CB) for the 4th of July. I am planning on taking my SSing and was wondering what rides are good for a SS. It has been a while since I have been there and I was on a geared bike back then. I think I rode Deer Creek, Upper Loop and some others I forget the names.

Any Thoughts for rides?

dlk

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    The 401 trail is nice. Good climbs and scenic open meadows above timberline. Towards the end of the ride, it dumps you into a tiny town of Gothic. There's a general store in Gothic where you can get a Coke and something to eat. If you're still feeling good, you ride up Gothic road (317) to extend your ride or ride down Gothic road back to Crested Butte.

Doctors Park is excellent. The climb is mostly dirt fire roads but the crazy single track downhill you will never forget. It's not exactly in Crested Butte but very close. It's been a few years since I've ridden it so ask some CB locals about how to get to it. Have fun.

RidetoLive,BuildtoRide

401 Hot PiSSy

The 401 trail is nice.

This is an understatement. Sweet trial, epic views from atop and wild flowers delore on your way down. I personaly like the planked section over the water. If you find yourself up for a killer hike, take a fly rod and hike up to Oh Be Joyful lake for some trout, this is not for the weak. 8 miles of beutiful country by foot, plenty of waterfalls,elk,and mule deer to watch. Also at Oh Be Joyful is free camping, just gotta love a brisk morning bath in the cold, cold colorado creek, almost nothing more spirtial than that unless you have your bike in the water with ya. Ask locals for directions. Have a good one. Peace

Squirrel

DAS
    mtbr member

Cb

I spent a week in CB riding my SS a couple years ago. It was great riding. Yes, 401 is great and Dr.'s Park is great. We even rode over some passes and into Aspen. It's all rideable. I used a 32x18 gear with a suspension fork. I was pretty fit at the time.

I'm not sure if I would SS it again next time. I may have been more comfortable on a full boinger, especially on the days when we were at higher elevation and I was carrying a pack. I remember having to stop and pant like a dog a lot.

I don't have any specific recommendations on trail selection. We basically rode 2x per day and did a lot of the local trails, mostly out of Gothic. You will find plenty. Have fun. Make sure you spend plenty of time in town, too. Great town.

SS Chimp
    deer creek...did it yesterday and it was killer on the ss

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Flag-Bear-Reno-Deadman's (though I normally get the order wrong when describing it), the Dyke Trail (though definitely not on a busy day or weekend as the traffic on Kebler Pass Road would be unbearable), 401 of course (though it can seem a little overridden - possibly only a problem later in the year which is when I've been) - easy climbing up Gothic road from town, and you can add a bit of the Upper loop and the drop down to town on the way back. Even better if you add trail 403 on the way up to the 401 trailhead, but that has a much stiffer climb, with a more hair-raising descent. I can't remember the name of the one that closes later in the year for cattle grazing but I hear it is great too.

And, of course, if you can't ride in CB, Hartmann Rocks is excellent SSing.
    Wibble