Crest or Flow for rough riding SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Crest or Flow for rough riding SS?

Hi there. cross posting this to the wheel forum too.

Any advice appreciated. Bit of a silly one really.

I need new wheels for the SS. Its a Tranny with 100mm forks. I weigh just under 200lbs with gear and ride it pretty hard. Lots of grunt to the back wheel and launching drops up to around 3ft on this bike. A few jumps too but usually pretty good landings.

I want the low weight of the Crest as I race this bike both SS and geared. But I want them to be hell stiff and go the distance.

Do I go for the Crests and cross my fingers that a good build will help them serve me well? Or sod the weight (around 100gms each end) and get a shaggingly solid wheel set which I may secretly curse when the other boys ride away from me, maybe..?

I reckon Flows, but would be keen to hear from anyone who rides Crests of 355's hard.

Cheers
    D

Did I catch a niner+?
    I'd probably look at the Arch vs the Crest at your weight. It's a solid wheel but I think you'll ding up the Crests pretty easy they seem to be for the guys 160 and under. Me? I run flows I am over 200 and feel this is my only option, I will start racing this year SS.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Thanks mate. Good points. The deal I am looking at is on built Hope Pro2's and they have only the Crest and the Flow. If they had the Arch I reckon I'd do it, but the price difference on getting Arches built up is too much!

There would be something very reassuring about giving it the beans up a climb and knowing you have a bomber Flow out the back.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Don't know your deal but this is a good one
    http://aebike.com/product/handspun-r...e2947-qc30.htm
    http://aebike.com/product/handspun-f...e2946-qc30.htm

They're not SS specific hubs but great non the less, your LBS can usually price match this since they're from QBP.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    Don't know your deal but this is a good one
    http://aebike.com/product/handspun-r...e2947-qc30.htm
    http://aebike.com/product/handspun-f...e2946-qc30.htm

They're not SS specific hubs but great non the less, your LBS can usually price match this since they're from QBP.
    those are 29", he needs 26"

Dirty South Underdog
    I dunno- I'm 145#, ride kinda hard, and I think the crests are a bit flimsy. I'd say try the Arches or Flows.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Rohloff
    I'm 185 pounds and just picked up a slightly used FS/SS. It came with a set of Crests and the owner ... a wheel builder ... assured me that the wheels would hold up to rough riding. For me that doesn't mean 3 foot drops but I do ride very rough terrain. I worried about them at first but then decided to quit worrying about them and ride them 'til the drop. It's only been 2 months but so foar so good. I've also got another bike with Flows. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in weight or stiffness.

If I were you, I'd definitely get the Flows ... No, definitely the Crests ... Well ... Maybe ... I don't know ...

Phatt Tire Luva'
    I'm 280lbs. Chris King Hubs mounted on Archs - over 85+ solid rides on em'... still as solid as they were on their first ride!
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've not had great luck with Crests. But I'm pretty sure the front one was compromised (purchased them used). and the ding probably would have happened to any rim. (too little air pressure and volume, hard hit)

That said, I'm ~165 dry and replaced the bent one with another crest

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Go to www.notubes.com and you can build up any combination you like. Or call them and they will have them built within 1-3 days. I'm around 170lbs and use the Arch's on a fully rigid SS. Been using the same wheels for 2+ seasons with no issue whatsoever.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Wave Dave
    ...launching drops up to around 3ft on this bike. A few jumps too but usually pretty good landings.

I want the low weight of the Crest as I race this bike both SS and geared. But I want them to be hell stiff and go the distance.
    = Flows

I had very similar parameters when I had a wheelset built up. Race + moderate FR + jumps + want them to last.

Get the rim for the unusual bad landing. Which will happen.

The racing turned out very well for me on them.

P

Bro Mountainbiker
    hijack!
    Go to www.notubes.com and you can build up any combination you like. Or call them and they will have them built within 1-3 days. I'm around 170lbs and use the Arch's on a fully rigid SS. Been using the same wheels for 2+ seasons with no issue whatsoever.
    Im about to make the flow/arch decision as well. have you tried bigger tires on the arch? like 2.4 ardents? If so, what was your lowest comfortable tire pressure?
    Thanks,
    Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    All good comments. Thanks dudes.

I pulled the trigger on Flows on Pro2. The difference in weight over the Arch, or even the Crest really, should be offset (in my mind) by the bomber stiffness and pleasurable volume and stability of the tire.

Besides "Flow" sounds cool and more zen-like

If I ever have any issues I'll post back.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669
    hijack!
    Im about to make the flow/arch decision as well. have you tried bigger tires on the arch? like 2.4 ardents? If so, what was your lowest comfortable tire pressure?
    Thanks,
    Sheepo
    I'm a 190# rider running Flows with RR's- 2.4 F and 2.25 R setup w/ Stan's goo. Over the past few months I've been running lower and lower pressures. Got down to ~18 PSI the other week and felt one rim hit in the rear. At that pressure, pedaling was noticeably more taxing as well. It happened to be quite muddy; didn't slip too badly but the tires just didn't feel inflated enough.

I'm going back to low 20's where I get the best of both worlds - improved traction and some gnarl absorption with only a bit more effort.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Wave Dave
    All good comments. Thanks dudes.

I pulled the trigger on Flows on Pro2. The difference in weight over the Arch, or even the Crest really, should be offset (in my mind) by the bomber stiffness and pleasurable volume and stability of the tire. ...
    Good choice. Another thought: better to have a bit of extra meat on the wheel and take the big drops without hesitation (or dings from intentional low tire pressure antics) rather than wondering if you are going to munch a crest or arch.

Did I catch a niner+?

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    those are 29", he needs 26"
    Ask and you shall receive.

http://aebike.com/product/handspun-f...e2766-qc30.htm
    http://aebike.com/product/handspun-r...e2767-qc30.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Flows = good choice.

I had flows on my x-c bike and am going to Crests, but I'm 145lbs and I'm not hard on rims. A nice thing about the flows on a hard tail is that you can run a bigger tire at less pressure and get a little more 'suspension' compared to a narrower rim. For this reason, I may put the flows on one of my hardtails in the future.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    For sure the Flows especially on the rear. I am 170 lb and have several bikes and wheelsets including ARCH/ARCH FLOW/FLOW and ARCH front/FLOW rear. The FLOW's give more cush in the rear. I run the ARCH ARCH on my Jet, I run the FLOW FLOW on my full rigid SS Sir and I run the ARCH FLOW on my One with front suspension. If you notice that works out to positions that have suspension get ARCH and positions that don't get FLOWS. I can generally run around 2psi less with the same tire in the same location on FLOWS due to larger volume and spreading the tread out.

Also, if I was starting over after riding both rims for a long time, I would probably get all my wheelsets in FLOWS.

Obviously my wheels are 29er though.

Members who have read this thread: 1