Crankset recommendation.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Crankset recommendation.

I've decided to build my old green Krampus frame into a SS (135 spacing). BB is 73mm, English threaded. I'm cobbling this together with parts I have laying around although I don't have a crankset. I may just further cannibalize my Ogre to put this together (Shimano Zee crankset w/32t Race Face narrow-wide ring). I'm already using the wheels from the Ogre for the Krampus. I'll be spacing the rear hub out and using a Surly cog, most likely a 20t.

I was thinking of trying the SRAM NX GXP crank but wonder about the durability of the ring for a single speed.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Always in the wrong gear
    RaceFace Aeffect gets my vote every time.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have the SRAM GX crankset on my SS. No issues with the chainring

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I'm almost positive the GX1000 and NX cranksets are identical. We ran a NX on a build and it seems to be a solid crank. Rings are rings, just replace them when you wear them out.

You can also get an XT M8000 1X for like $110. There a ton of reasonably priced options.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

No known cure
    I'm running a set of 180mm E13 TRS cranks. I won them in a raffle at a race. A couple numbers later, I won the E13 33t ring.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    RaceFace Aeffect gets my vote every time.
    Ditto!

Very reasonably priced for a sturdy setup. I'm loving mine.

Consider this, too. Lots of bikes are equipped with the Aeffects as OEM like common build Hightowers, etc. Lots of guys pull them immediately to go 30mm and carbon. I paid $100 for my brand new take-offs WITH a RF NW cinch ring. My find was local but Pinkbike is your friend.

Crankset recommendation.-20161219_180956.jpg
    Last edited by Oh My Sack!; 01-02-2018 at 02:53 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Been running SRAM X9 on my ss with zero issues for years. Id assume the newer GX would be comparable.

mtbr member
    Lots of good stuff here. Thanks everyone! I'll post pictures once I get something together. I'll most likely go with the NX GXP.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Lots of good stuff here. Thanks everyone! I'll post pictures once I get something together. I'll most likely go with the NX GXP.
    Forgot to add, if you already have that shimano BB on this frame, you may want to look at the raceface or shimano cranks. GXP uses a 22/24mm spindle, the others suggested use 24mm, non tapered. Otherwise if you're buying a BB for it, not a problem.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

edt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I've decided to build my old green Krampus frame into a SS (135 spacing). BB is 73mm, English threaded. I'm cobbling this together with parts I have laying around although I don't have a crankset. I may just further cannibalize my Ogre to put this together (Shimano Zee crankset w/32t Race Face narrow-wide ring). I'm already using the wheels from the Ogre for the Krampus. I'll be spacing the rear hub out and using a Surly cog, most likely a 20t.

I was thinking of trying the SRAM NX GXP crank but wonder about the durability of the ring for a single speed.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
    I have an NX crankset with a 30 tooth chainring on my SS.
    720 miles, 86+ hours, no issues.
    So far, so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My Krampus is set up with the stock Zee cranks. Durable, plenty of 104bcd rings available--can't go wrong. Personally, I would get a cheap XT crankset (M770 or 780) and set it up with a 104bcd ring. Cranks are the last place I'd want to spend money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've used M770 in 180 (30T ring), M985 in 180 (30T Wolftooth ring) & M9020 in 180 (with Absolute Black oval 30T). By far the best are the M9020 with the oval ring. All 3 running CK ceramic BB's.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Forgot to add, if you already have that shimano BB on this frame, you may want to look at the raceface or shimano cranks. GXP uses a 22/24mm spindle, the others suggested use 24mm, non stepped.
    ^ this.

My vote is for SLX/XT or RF Aeffect. I use both. For a little upgrade the RF Turbine cranks are awesome.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I'm typically opt for XT when considering cost & durability but I can't recall if they're using a standard BCD on the M8000.

The SRAM NX GXP looks good too--I ran what looks like an older version of that and it worked fine but the BB got crunchy pretty quickly. Cheap replacement was available though.

I can't say I'm a fan of RF when it comes to chainrings. They seem to wear really fast for me.

Rod
    mtbr member
    You cannot go wrong with XT. My current set is 7 years old.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I'm typically opt for XT when considering cost & durability but I can't recall if they're using a standard BCD on the M8000.
    Nope, they went down to a 96mm BCD for M8000 and most of the SLX cranks.
    Which is a good thing if you want a smaller chainring then you could get with the old BCD.

mtbr member
    The SRAM GX1400(X1 is the same thing) is hard to beat for the money. Takes a direct mount chainring, uses a good and inexpensive BB, and is lighter than anything of comparable cost. My 170mm ones are a hair under 540g sans chainring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you want an inexpensive Shimano SLX crank, I have two with 175mm crank arms that I need to unload. DM if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I picked up some 175mm Raceface Respond cranks when I put together my new frame and am really impressed with them so far. In fairness, the cranks on my old frame were garbage, and they still worked fine haha.

jl
    climb
    I just purchased some IRD Mjolnir SS Crank Arms--solid and square taper.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    I just purchased some IRD Mjolnir SS Crank Arms--solid and square taper.
    Honest question, what's the advantage of these over more conventional choices?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    Styling. That's it. Functionally, they won't have much or any advantage over say, $50 Deore cranks. They do look cool, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ac1000 View Post
    I've wondered the same thing about pretty much any crankset choice. I'm of the opinion that once you decide on BB design (i.e. reliability) it mostly comes down to a tradeoff between weight and price.

mtbr member
    There's an XT 8000 (175mm)in the classifieds for $70