Crankset Question...XT vs. White Industries- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Crankset Question...XT vs. White Industries

OK...here's the scenario...

I am having an SS specific wheelset built for my 2009 Rig. Stan's Arch hoops with Surly disc hubs. I am going to run two White Industries freehweels...18 or 22 depending on conditions.

I currently use an XT crankset, newer, with external bb cups. Race Face 32T nonramped chainring. 175mm length...don't want longer.

What performance benefit or loss (if any) would result if I switched the crankset to a White Industries? What spindle length would be the most appropriate? Stiffness differences? Anyone had and ridden both?

Will there be a problem using the XT crankset...as far as spindle length is concerned? I already plan on running a PC1 chain, not a 9 speed.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get a good torque wrench and be very careful not to over-torque the bolts when installing a White Industries crankset. They're a bit sensitive...

I've ridden both. They feel about the same to me. That being said, I'm building a new bike and going with the XT setup.

mtbr member
    Only downer I see to the White is having to use a heavy squaretaper bb. Id much prefer stick with the XT and their light external bb cups...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The xt cranks look really nice if you polish them and remove the xt logo, especially if you have a titanium frame.

I was not a fan of the PC-1 chain, IMO the best chain out there is the sram 8 speed chain.
    Lasted way longer than the pc1 and since it's a little wider than the 9 speed its much more durable and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb
    OK...here's the scenario...

I am having an SS specific wheelset built for my 2009 Rig. Stan's Arch hoops with Surly disc hubs. I am going to run two White Industries freehweels...18 or 22 depending on conditions.

I currently use an XT crankset, newer, with external bb cups. Race Face 32T nonramped chainring. 175mm length...don't want longer.

What performance benefit or loss (if any) would result if I switched the crankset to a White Industries? What spindle length would be the most appropriate? Stiffness differences? Anyone had and ridden both?

Will there be a problem using the XT crankset...as far as spindle length is concerned? I already plan on running a PC1 chain, not a 9 speed.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    COOL! Thanks for the input folks.

I think what I'm hearing is that sticking with the XT cranks is a good bet. I did not know that about 8 speed chains...maybe I'll give one a try.

Might even consider polishing the XT crank arms to get them "chromy".

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I currently have both and am hard pressed to tell a difference when riding. Biggest difference was life span of BB. I just recently had to replace BB on the XT's (after 3 years)as it was getting rough (replaced with some King Bling). My Eno's have a Phil Wood bb and it is still going strong after 5 years.

I personally like the look of the Eno's, but that is a personal preference, but the XT's are probably a better value.

mtbr member
    Stick with the XT cranks, and give an 8 speed chain a try. Much stronger than the PC1!

mtbr member
    had eno's for 3 years before the phil wood bb gave up. decided to move out of the square taper era. got some xt's with external bb and it is so much more stiffer it isnt funny.

go with a 8 speed chain too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just to clarify. Sram PC-870 Chain

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have both on two different SSs. To me the big difference is the bottom bracket and the best bb out there is a Phil Wood square taper (i really don't like the PW EBB). I go through bbs like butter and this is the only one that has held up. Yes, it is quite a bit heaver but its' pretty damn trivial. The biggest issues as started earlier is getting the right torque. Once you're there, it's all good. I also recommend some self extracting crank bolts... huge difference when wanting to remove the cranks.

I am a big rider, usually between 195 - 215 lbs (seasonality) and I have a hard time with the comment, "...got some xt's with external bb and it is so much more stiffer it isnt funny." I totally disagree. I actually think I can see a significant difference in improved stiffness of the ENO/PW combination.

Again, to me its the bb that makes the big difference.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer."
    -Plato

mtbr member
    The nice thing about the eno's is the low Q factor.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan
    That's a good thing....what is the Q factor on them?
    Get off the couch and ride! :)

mtbr member
    I believe its 160mm

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan
    After riding the XX crankset for awhile now, I am beginning to agree with you. I never gave it much thought before. Now the EBB XT crank combo feels like pedaling bowlegged.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Members who have read this thread: 0