Crankset Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Crankset Question

I did a search and couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd post and see if you guys can help me out.

I want to turn one of my bikes into a SS and wanted to use an old Shimano Alivio crankset that I have sitting in the backyard. The crank came off of a 7 speed bike and the 3 chainrings seem to be either welded or riveted together. Well, I want to scrap the chainrings and install a new 32T chainring. Can I just buy a 5 arm chainring and install it or is it more complicated than that? Do they sell a universal chainring that will fit a shimano, truvativ, race face, etc 5 arm?

one chain loop
    i believe those cranks are the same as shimano stx, where the middle and big chainrings are integrated. looks like a 94mm bcd, i may be wrong.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

smell the saddle...
    A new 32T reputable chainring (Blackspire or similar) is going to be worth more than those cranks - I would assume if they are rivoted (integrated as fishcreek stated) you can't use them anyway.

Shop for a set of old Shimano LX/XT crankarms and find your 32. Or even better a old LX or XT crankset where you can use the middle gear and won't have to buy a separate chainring. FleaBay always has deals on cranks & arms.

Out spokin'
    They look bolted together to me, but I can't be sure. If they are bolted together, remove the chainring bolts and put the rings & chainring bolts in your parts bin. Then buy a new ring and a set of BMX/singlespeed chainring bolts (they're shorter since they only go through one ring) and you'll be good to go.

Step one... get the Allen wrench out and see if it comes apart.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0