Crankset Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crankset Help

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Crankset Help

I'm looking to purchase a new crankset for my SIR9. It will have a 32t chainring and am looking at the Endless NWN chainrings. I've been considering Shimano's ZEE but am seeing where I can get an XT or SLX for about the same price right now. What is going to be the best option as far as chain clearance on the tabs? I'm familiar with the 3x setup but like the look of the 2x. If I choose to run the 2x cranks can I direct mount to the tabs or will I need a spacer between tab and chainring? I'm also a 200lb+ rider so will the XT be too light? Thanks.

WillWorkForTrail
    I don't think the XT will be too light. I'm also on the high side of 200, and wear a pretty heavy pack most of the time. I've rarely had problems with a quality crankset of any type because of weight. Have you considered looking specifically at cranksets designed for 1x use? I would add, you don't gain a whole lot from NW rings on SS, so you might be able to save some coin by just getting a standard single ring. Mind you, that's a ring meant to be used single. Not one that's meant to have a chain shifted on and off of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have considered 1x setups but seem to be rather expensive. Looking to stay between $100-$200.

mtbr member
    I bought a Zee (which is 1x) and then put a 32T on it. Works fine, paid ~100 for crankset/BB; $30 for standard chainring. As stated earlier, NW not really needed on SS. Too bad Zee doesn't have an option for 32T, that'd be easiest/cheapest.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A 3x crank has better chain alignment. I bought a Shimano SLX crank from Jenson really cheap and sold the 3 chainrings on Ebay. Incredible bang for the buck. Right now they have an XT triple for only $100:

Shimano XT M780 Crankset > Components > Drivetrain, Brakes and Pedals > Cranksets | Jenson USA